Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2005 4:12am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sambo

Does anyone know much about sambo? I'm considering ordering a dvd since there are no sambo schools in my city and it seems none in the country.

So:

Is it effective?
    What are its principles what is it based on?
    How legitimate are most schools?

Host-Personal Defense TV

Posted On:
    1/21/2005 4:18am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask Omega.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/21/2005 3:03pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd tend to think that any intro training from a DVD would be far worse than any live training. No feed back or partner or what have you.

I've heard that sambo is a lot like judo so you might be better off finding a judo dojo or club in your area.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    1/21/2005 4:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sambo is a great sport that incorporates alot of the same techniques you'll see in BJJ, Judo, JJ and submission wrestling. I think its officialy a hybrid of greco-roman wrestling and judo although it has alot of leglocks that you wont find anywhere else. Some Judo people will dispute this the same way they claim jduo has everything BJJ has but they're all full of ****. Sambo has as many unique aspects as any other art.

The only thing that might hurt you if its your first grappling art is its rule structure. Sambo does not allow chokes and has a 12 point limit I think. A contest also ends if a full throw is pulled off. This will help your standup game but it forces a contest to end right after a throw when this wouldnt happen in alot of other rule systems.

Of course theres "combat sambo" just likes theres combat anything else.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 6:54pm

Style: TMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You might also try PMing Aaron Fields who's knowledgeable about Sambo.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 7:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aren't bicep/calf slicers from sambo? I learned a few of those in my class (generic submission wrestling, lol).
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 7:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nobody from a Sambo school is going to call you "my friend". Thats one negative....
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Posted On:
    1/25/2005 10:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bushi51
    Ask Omega.
    Better yet , grapple Omega.

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 4:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sambo is great if it's sport sambo.Don't get conned by learning RBMA by learning "combat" or "military" sambo.
    Sometimes sport sambo teachers use the preface "military" or "combat" though.
    But sometimes really fat guys who can't touch their toes bash sport sambo as not street lethal.
    Sambo is a form or wrestling.If you aren't wrestling around alot it's crap.

I don't know what country you are in, but in this country different sambo factions often hate each other.Some groups teach MMA and call it sambo, they say they're being progressive, other groups say that thats fake sambo.
    If you can't find Sambo in your area, look for it's closest relative which is judo.
    In fact, you add some good leglock videos tp your judo training, and thats very close to Sambo.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/26/2005 8:38pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Machine
    Sambo is great if it's sport sambo.Don't get conned by learning RBMA by learning "combat" or "military" sambo.
    Sometimes sport sambo teachers use the preface "military" or "combat" though.
    But sometimes really fat guys who can't touch their toes bash sport sambo as not street lethal.
    Sambo is a form or wrestling.If you aren't wrestling around alot it's crap.

I don't know what country you are in, but in this country different sambo factions often hate each other.Some groups teach MMA and call it sambo, they say they're being progressive, other groups say that thats fake sambo.
    If you can't find Sambo in your area, look for it's closest relative which is judo.
    In fact, you add some good leglock videos tp your judo training, and thats very close to Sambo.
    This is one of the first time I'll disagree with Strong Machine. There are 4 schools of thought when it comes to SAMBO. Truthfully SAMBO is SAMBO and a true SAMBO school like Gokor's should teach all of them:

Sport SAMBO
    Self-defense SAMBO
    Combat SAMBO
    and
    Sport Combat SAMBO

Sport SAMBO is known as Jacket Wrestling with limited submission locks: Shoulder, arms, legs and ankles

Self-defense SAMBO is more like Japanes Jujitsu and Judo with neck cranks and very little striking.

Combat SAMBO implements more strikes and goes into weapon defense a bit more and actually becomes neglectful of the groundfighting skills. Many exclusively combat SAMBO schools are bullshido because they don't implement live sparring.

Sport Combat SAMBO resemble pankration/MMA with strikes and one on one combat with little of the weapons defenses. Originally this was to be taught as practical side of Combat SAMBO but many schools strayed from this formula.

Tell which DVD's you want to use and I'll tell you how good they are. Personally I don't like too much DVD training without a valid instructor.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast