Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 11:00pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Meals on the go

I find myself rushing out the door a lot in the mornings, and depending if I've overslept for school in the afternoon as well.

This often leaves me without breakfast, or a decent lunch. Mostly I've been grabbing granola bars on the way out the door, but that's not enough to keep my hunger under control and it's hardly a good meal.

Recently I've seen a lot of these meal replacement bars or breakfast bars in the local stores. Are any of these worth giving a try in terms of nutrition and keeping hunger under control? Any quick meals I can throw together in a minute or so?

I can't imagine I'm the only one who replaces a real meal with crap due to time contraints. So what do you fellow rushing people do for a meal on the go?

Loving Father

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 11:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eat a banana and drink some OJ.

`~/

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 11:18pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sandwiches or wraps the night before and put it in a container. That's what I do when I have to open @ Starbucks or have a night class @ school.

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 11:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TSK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Low carb Slimfast great for breakfast.

Slimfast and beer for dinner.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    1/22/2005 9:13am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Mostly I've been grabbing granola bars on the way out the door, but that's not enough to keep my hunger under control and it's hardly a good meal."

I think the way it works is if you have something that's got simple carbs then it triggers (some blood sugar process thing) and then you get hungry again. So eat something with more whole grains and protein.

Now I don't exactly follow... I eat those protien bars from snickers. They taste like candy but they're actually pretty good as a meal. You can also get breakfast stuff in a suprizing number of places that's a decent meal. Egg mcmuffin = like 300 cal, has 17g protien.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    1/22/2005 11:29am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do the same a lot, with two kids and a wife to drop off at their own schools in two different towns before I get to my own school by 7:30.

Anyway, I may be weird, but I often grab a couple of packages of sliced lunchmeat. Sliced beef, chicken, corned beef or pastrami works fine. You can either eat the whole thing at once or take one slice at a time off it, which makes it last longer and maybe seem like a little more food. I keep a jar of mustard in the glove box.
    Yes, I DO happen to have some Grey Poupon right here, my good man! Jolly nice day for a bit of a drive, eh what?

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    1/22/2005 3:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Peanut butter and bananas. Its a real simple sandwich that doesnt taste bad and has some good stuff for energy. Takes about 2 minutes to slice a banana and stick it into a PB sandwich.

Hardboil some eggs too. Keep them in the fridge and you've got a small meal to go with your bars and juice.

Oatmeal is also a GREAT nutritious meal but it doesnt taste all that great and requires about 5 minutes of cooking and some people just dont want to hear it. Buy some and make it twice a week for breakfast and throw in some fresh fruit for added variety.

Tuna fish is also a really easy meal you can create in about 10 seconds straight out of the can. Pretty much all fish these days is going to have high levels of mercury and tuna has a good amount of cholesterol but not any more than most of the other foods we eat on a day to day basis. If you have some time crush some of those hardboiled eggs into a few cans of tuna and then slice a raw onion nice and thin and stick that in there too. You'll have enough sandwiches for days. If you want it to be an even hardier meal buy yourself some thick rolls and some cheese and make yourself a tuna melt out of it. Simple and quick.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Beachy Keen

Posted On:
    1/22/2005 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Chop Socky

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oatmeal (including the delicious savory variety I outlined elsewhere) can be made overnight in a crockpot. Using steel-cut oats makes an oatmeal that is quite delicious and utterly unlike that rolled-oats paste that is barely fit for horses. Remember, no salt until right before you eat; butter is okay to add early, as is cream if you're a real Scot.

As for meals on the go, yesterday's stirfry loaded into a tupperware always hits the spot. Or you can make a sandwich, just don't put tomato in it or the bread will fall to pieces.
    I would liken it to the boxing or the muay thai of internal kung fu, even though that's like calling apples the oranges of the apple world. --WalkOn

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 11:05pm

Style: Mixed/Freestyle Kickboxin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As quick and easy as many of these are, I have to second the point about preparing things the night before. Not only do I do that myself, but I also prepare multiple servings of food to seal in tupperware or those glap/ziplock things, and you will be set.

It is a lot easier to make 2 or 3 different meals at a time to get you through a few days, rather than trying to fit in time to prepare things... So cook, while you cook, instead of wasting time when you could be working out... Most of this will stay good in the fridge for at least 3-7 days depending on the type of meet.

Good examples:

Chili is a winner (beans, meat, spice... nuff said)
    Multiple servings of Chicken (try it with a lime and dijon mustard sauce) with some rice
    Ground Beef and Pasta
    Soups are good
    Make a Roast with a good bit of beef or even shred it for sandwiches
    Roast a turkey... lasts for days and also great on sandwichs
    Meatloaf
    The sandwiches are a great idea and very variable. Also very easy to carry.
    Cereals are good, and you can find milk around anywhere
    Fruits and Don't forget the vegetables

Good tasting food but don't eat this every day of the week:
    Small sheets of Lasagna for a treat...
    Pancakes for carb-meals

Being Sublime Daily

Posted On:
    1/23/2005 11:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eggs and toast... The breakfast of champions, the secret of my success.. (I skip the toast on rest days)

A ham and cheese sandwitch and a couple of apples for snacks go in a brown paper bag. A couple refilled filtered bottled waters and I'm out the door. Quick, easy, cheap, and nutritious.

I never start my day with a carb heavy item like cereal, yogurt, waffles, candy bars, etc. If I do, my energy levels peak around noon then will crash big time around 2:00.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast