222074 Bullies, 4068 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 8:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan Scientist
    That would hvae to be a throat choke.

Blood chokes take less than 10 seconds according to pubmed.
    If he didn't have it totally locked on though, could be longer. Some air chokes guys can hold out for a few minutes. Whatever it was, it worked so that's what matters :thumbsup:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 8:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was told to hold for an additional ten seconds on the rear-nakid choke after you feel their body go limp, to make sure that they are really knocked out and not just faking. Is that a safe thing to do?

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 8:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by antonanton
    I was told to hold for an additional ten seconds on the rear-nakid choke after you feel their body go limp, to make sure that they are really knocked out and not just faking. Is that a safe thing to do?
    You'd be pushing it, I'd hold maybe for a count of 3 afterwards and give them a good squeeze before letting go but not much more than that. Personal preference however.

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 8:23pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since I've never been choked out befoe JJ? Judo guys do it on the reg is there any reisdual negative effects?

Take that back got choked out once carotid as a joke , by a friend, wasn't cool but I couldn'd whoop his ass back then
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 8:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are no bad effects from strangles (blood chokes). There has also never been a recorded event of a Judo practitioner dying from a choke, although a few have died from being thrown on their heads.

If a person is drunk and they've been fighting, it can sometimes only take a couple of seconds to choke them unconscious. If the person is sitting there relaxed and hasn't been doing physical exercise (i.e. not in oxygen-debt) then it can take 9 seconds.

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 9:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by antman
    I'm guessing about 30 seconds till I heard snoring give or take 5 its been about 9 years though so its a little fuzzy
    Blood chokes will make people snore. Wind chokes will have them coughing and wanting to vomit. It's pretty clear-cut.

Quote Originally Posted by antman
    Since I've never been choked out befoe JJ? Judo guys do it on the reg is there any reisdual negative effects?

Take that back got choked out once carotid as a joke , by a friend, wasn't cool but I couldn'd whoop his ass back then
    My instructor told me that if you let a blood choke go awhile and let yourself get close to going out you will develop a longer choke-out time. If you actually go out then it sets you back a lot.

I've been in some pretty tight chokes done by brown belts so I have a bit more of an escape window against blue belts now since they aren't as quick to go "on". It's a small difference but it helped me escape once or twice.

I've also gone completely out once. I'm not sure how long I was gone but I came to on my own and was fully functional in a short time. I have not noticed a marked decrease in metal ability or anything.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 1/20/2005 9:57pm at .

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 10:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plus, people have seen too many movies where the sentry dies from a RNC, so if they can't breathe then they will think they are going to die and fight a lot harder.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 10:28pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Been choked once or twice (or seven or eight) times...

Blood chokes come in fast and hard. One second your fine, next second, everything is fuzzy and your looking up while people are asking if you are OK. Your head buzzes faintly for a few minutes after and then you are good to go.

Wind Chokes are horrific and slow. You know you are being choked out but don't want to tap. You think you can hold out for 5 more seconds, but you can't. You wake up coughing and choking (possibly puking) and have a splitting headache for the rest of the day. If you are at a tournament, your fucked because you will still be fucked up from the choke.

Hope that helps you.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Chemist

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 10:30pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been told that in a fraction of people the blood choke can be dangerous because their carotids do not open up again after being collapsed but I don't know if this is a verifiable fact or not. I know that I tap quicker to air chokes because they're a lot more painful. On the street and in the dojo, I'll probably go with the blood choke most of the time because they're easier and faster and tighter. And I don't know if I'm more retarded than before I started judo because I get choked on a regular basis, but I've never been choked out.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    1/21/2005 12:51am

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the articles on BJJ.org has the results of a study where they choked out Judoka and measured the brain wave patterns afterwards. No change, even after one guy got choked out multiple times.
    sudo make me a sandwich!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast