Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    1/22/2005 2:54pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Passing the guard without a gi? Hell, that's easy. Just bait 'em with one of your arms across his chest (keep your other hand on the inside of your elbow, ready to strip his fingers off your forearm). When he opens his guard to go for an armbar or triangle, rip your arm out while stripping his grip off your 'bait' arm with your other hand, while at the same time popping one of your knees up to split his guard. It's actually funny to watch, even guys who know it's a trap can't resist that arm just sitting there, begging to be hyper-extended. It's almost like they can't fight the urge to just go for it and hope that they're faster on the draw. Granted, this is pretty much a no-gi only move. Trying this on a guy that has a grip on your gi sleeve is probably not a good idea. . .
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Host-Personal Defense TV

Posted On:
    1/22/2005 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargas
    Passing the guard without a gi? Hell, that's easy. Just bait 'em with one of your arms across his chest (keep your other hand on the inside of your elbow, ready to strip his fingers off your forearm). When he opens his guard to go for an armbar or triangle, rip your arm out while stripping his grip off your 'bait' arm with your other hand, while at the same time popping one of your knees up to split his guard. It's actually funny to watch, even guys who know it's a trap can't resist that arm just sitting there, begging to be hyper-extended. It's almost like they can't fight the urge to just go for it and hope that they're faster on the draw. Granted, this is pretty much a no-gi only move. Trying this on a guy that has a grip on your gi sleeve is probably not a good idea. . .
    Two things.

1. I have also done this successfully, but beware of your opponent cross arm dragging that arm and going for your back. This by far is one of my favorite No-gi attacks against an extended arm.

2. If you extend an arm as bait, another extra precaution is to make sure the pinky side of your hand faces his chin. This causes your elbow to point away from his hips making the arm bar next to impossible to pull-off, due to the fact he has to get his hips up and over your extended arm.

Flow the go...bitches.

This post was not directed at you Vargas, I know you know this stuff.

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    1/22/2005 4:38pm

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No worries, I'm always happy if anyone can improve on any of my jacked-up suggestions for moves ;) I'm pretty bad at explaining a technique with just words, so thanks for the assist.

To be honest, I'm trying to get away from using closed-guard. It can be a bad habit, especially if you later train with striking on the ground. IMO, there just aren't that many good moves you can hit from closed guard against anyone with decent skills. Sure, you might get the odd kimura or guillotine without unlocking your legs every now and again, but I usually do much better just working open guard or butterfly guard.
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123