222231 Bullies, 4425 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 7:29pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No gi guard passes

Ok, so after one very successful training session where I found myself on my back or being taken down but scored a triangle / armbar and a few guillotines, this time I find myself on top, in the guard with...... . nowhere to go.

According to the rules of no-gi comps (I believe) there is no grabbing of the clothing. Usually I would grab the material in the inner thigh and force my elbows down and out etc. etc.

But I found myself struggling to pass anyone's guard. The only thing I pulled off (against an equally as n00b person) was to flip the all the way over onto their front, ending up in the boston crab position.

But all the time in my head I was imagining JOhnnyS's post, "beginners shouldn't do that, it's not high percentage."

So, not wanting to rely on WWF manouvres for my next comp, what are my choices for no-gi guard passes?
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 7:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you take bjj?

What does your instructor tell you to do?

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 7:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well lately he has been working on other things, not guard passes, and I haven't had a chance to ask him yet.

I was just throwing it out there to see what responses I got. Anything wrong with that? Jeez this place would be boring if every answer was 'ask your instructor.'

Who are you again?
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 7:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm asking because we seem to have a lot of people that just learn things from the internet. This leads to you embarassing yourself and us.

Your gi guard pass
    Usually I would grab the material in the inner thigh and force my elbows down and out etc. etc.
    Leads me to believe you don't know what you're doing, or are not recieving proper instruction. That technique lends itself to the triangle choke.

So what's the deal?

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 7:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And, so I won't seem like such a killjoy,

place one knee in the middle of opponent's butt
    Hands on the hips, pinning them to the floor
    Make sure you have good posture, and have your head up, back straight
    Now breathe in and arch your back, the ankles will have uncrossed.
    Pass as usual.

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 8:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan Scientist
    I'm asking because we seem to have a lot of people that just learn things from the internet. This leads to you embarassing yourself and us.

Your gi guard pass

Leads me to believe you don't know what you're doing, or are not recieving proper instruction. That technique lends itself to the triangle choke.

So what's the deal?
    Fair enough. Although my post only represents my own lack of knowledge, rather than my teacher's, thank you very much!

Also, I thought one arm in and one arm out led to the triangle choke, but if I kept both arms in I would be safer?

Thanks for the technique, hip is as good a place as any to put my hands. I didn't really know what to do with them before.
    Scramble Stuff

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 8:48pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The first thing I learned was how to pass the guard, incidentally, no gi required. You put your hands on the guys floating ribs (because if they try to sit up, it hurts like a mofo), pushing in. Then like Deadpan (Brand?) said, knee into butt, other knee sideways for balance, arch back and push back. If it's not working, scoot back a bit more and try again.

PL

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 9:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Supercrap,
    What exactly is the problem? Opening the legs, or getting past the legs once they're open?

Here's a video method that works great with no-gi.
    http://www.abhaya.ca/technique.htm
    Go to Guard break - can opener or just use this link:
    http://www.abhaya.ca/video/guardbreak_canopener.wmv

Here's another method I like to use sometimes when I just can't get my opponent's legs open the normal way. It's sneaky, but a bit advanced and works well with both gi and no-gi:

Put your left hand on your opponent's right bicep.
    Nail his arm to the floor.
    Put your head on his chest, hips up and walk to your left so that you walk *over* his right arm.
    Reach under his back and grab his right wrist with your right wrist.
    Now put your left elbow on the floor next to the left side of his neck.
    Walk around to your left, keeping control of his wrist and your left elbow on the floor with your hips *low*.
    Eventually his legs should open up and you can slide past his guard.

Probably try the can-opener first. It is legal, as long as you don't tap your opponent with it. So you can use it to open his legs, but you have to let go once his legs are open or you can be disqualified.

***ned

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 9:24pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyS
    Probably try the can-opener first. It is legal, as long as you don't tap your opponent with it. So you can use it to open his legs, but you have to let go once his legs are open or you can be disqualified.

Just a little caveat to that: some guys will tap immediately once you put them in a can opener just to get you disqualified in competition. That is, of course, unless neck cranks are legal. If they are, go to town.

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 9:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    deus,
    Case in point being Pe De Pano when he bitched and cried until Relson disqualified Monson, even though it wasn't in the rules. No wonder everyone hates the guy...
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast