Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 6:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In some ways I suppose it COULD be less dangerous, if the fight ends quickly with a submission hold or such. But even in NHB with two strikers going at it the primary target for the hands is still the head.

But when people get their eye's popped fred etish style, or get mounted and pounded upon, I don't see how that can be safer than boxing.

You could say that boxing is more damaging to the brain than the surface of the face like UFC, which is probably true. But the fact is that that it doesn't look nearly as gruesome, and that is probably another major factor that keeps it out of mainstream.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 6:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Exactly.

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 6:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And the above post is why I have 1199...nope 1200 posts. YEEEHAW!

**The most miraculous power that can verifiably be attributed to "chi" is its ability to be all things to virtually all people, depending on what version of the superstition they are attempting to defend at any given moment.**
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 7:18pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Overall, MMA is safter and the fighters are less messed up than in boxing. MMA also leaves fighters a way out - throw in the towel, the ref will stop a fight before an injury occurs or of one guy is just losing, and you can give up, tap out, give a verbal, whatever.

Boxers just can't do that.

<Me> John, what do you know about Zen Buddhism? <John> *smacks me*
    <John> I'd have to smack you sometime...
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 7:25pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just look at how many boxers have died in the ring. I've only heard of one guy dieing in a MMA event.

"An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind"
    -Ghandi

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 7:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazillian Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL@Wastrel!
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "The difference between us, and other martial arts websites you might be looking for, is that we're not going to feed you, well, bullshit about martial arts."
    -Phrost

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazillian Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So that's your secret, eh? Two can play at that game! :P
    -----------------------------------------------------
    "The difference between us, and other martial arts websites you might be looking for, is that we're not going to feed you, well, bullshit about martial arts."
    -Phrost

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 8:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I tried that address, it didn't work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 8:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm confused. Give two people some boxing gloves and tell them to box for 4 rounds and they won't be that messed up.

Give two people some NHB gloves and tell them to do whatever the hell they want to eachother, aside from strike the throat, for 4 rounds and see what they look like afterwards.

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 8:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They will be done long before either of them have suffered LONG-TERM injuries. The risk of concussion is significantly greater for boxers, and over the course of a lifetime they have a better chance of permanent brain damage. External injuries are so misleading.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast