223503 Bullies, 3723 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 10:43pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All I can say is ... Ha Ha!

My BJJ class involves 20 minutes of vigorous exercise (running, skipping, squatting, situps etc) followed by half an hour of yogic exercises and stretching, techniques, then sparring.

And I like it just fine that way. I'm sure you can find a BJJ place which gives you a fitness component too, but do you really want to leave your current school?
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff
    Dr. Fagbot Q. MacGillicuddy, PhD's Avatar

You are in a lot of trouble.

Posted On:
    1/21/2005 6:48am

supporting member
     Style: Twirling Foot Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "yogic"
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey
    FORM AN ACROBATIC BRIDGE ACROSS OMEGA'S GOOCH
    Quote Originally Posted by Kidspatula
    Bleep bleep blip bloop

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    1/21/2005 7:59am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can;
    a) Take up judo instead.
    b) Flail like the new kid everytime someone gets you in side control.
    c) Talk to your instructor and see what he recomends. Are there less technical classes?

You can do situps and press ups instead of watching the mat and learning but you will get a lot less sympathy if you miss something.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2005 9:58am

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sorry, I should have made this clearer. I welcome any advice except from a mattress stain like Hannibal.

Please continue, all.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    Pushups and situps can be done at home but if you do them in class so be it. Its good conditioining.

Afronaut.

You have two options.

1. Change martial arts schools. If that is possible. I have long working hours too. I only have 3 nights a week to train so i like my martial arts classes to be athletic. Join a martial arts dojo where there is lots of sparring and the training is hard and fitness based. Kyokushin, boxing, kickboxing, Judo whatever.

2. Continue going to your current martial arts place for fight technique. Do lots of running or skipping rope & pushups in your own time for fitness.

Personally I would go with my first option. Unless I get a good workout and do lots of padwork during training, I get pissed of. It doesn't feel like its worth going at all.
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/21/2005 10:26am

Style: Moo Thai & Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai will get you fit and you wil lose weight.

My training:

Run around local park twice (20 mins)
    Skip for 20 mins
    Stretch 15 mins
    Shadow Boxing 15 mins
    Pad work for 30-45 mins
    Full contact sparring 30-45 mins

Crawl back to car and go home (arms dont work for the first two weeks).

Obviously you build up to this.

Most decent MT gyms will be similar. Kicking pads all night is a great way to get in shape.

Posted On:
    1/21/2005 4:08pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan Scientist
    Actually, getting tired out will force you to have good technique, because you can't rely on explosive power.
    When I'm fatigued at anything I don't have the control that I have when not fatigued, and everything becomes sloppy, from punching, moving, grabbing, so I tend to disagree with that statement to a point... I do see your ideaology about not having the explosive power but I still believe you lose to much fine motor control and evverything becomes gross movemnts.
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    1/21/2005 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by antman
    When I'm fatigued at anything I don't have the control that I have when not fatigued, and everything becomes sloppy, from punching, moving, grabbing, so I tend to disagree with that statement to a point... I do see your ideaology about not having the explosive power but I still believe you lose to much fine motor control and evverything becomes gross movemnts.
    This should depend on your level of fatigue. If you're huffing, puffing and praying for death, then I would agree. But, I find that when I've worked my muscles to the point of fatigue, my technique does improve, because my adrenaline settles down, or at least isn't as big a factor.

Posted On:
    1/21/2005 9:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    afronaut are you considering switching your MA or crosstraining in another?

I also suggest something on the line of MT, kickboxing and the like. Even with awful nutrition customs, I lost noticeable body fat in a couple of months. Not to mention that my cardio increased surprisingly.

Even the worst kickboxing school may give you a neat conditioning.

Hi, guys

Posted On:
    1/21/2005 10:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by antman
    I agree. Often when starting to train (as I was quite.. out of shape) I found myself even unable to completely focus on instructions when I got exhausted. Concentration is the first to go in my book.
    More human than human is our motto.

UAAAH!

Posted On:
    1/22/2005 12:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadpan Scientist
    Actually, getting tired out will force you to have good technique, because you can't rely on explosive power.
    One of my favourite ways to do bagwork is to punch until my muscles are burning and my arms feel like they weigh 100 lbs, and then concentrate on nothing but beautiful punches.
    Tough is not how you act, tough is how you train.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast