Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 5:22pm

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

an actual workout from martial arts

Ok, honesty time. I am fatter than I need to be. I grapple because I like it and I'm better at it than anything I've tried thus far. But the format of the class is about 10 minutes or so warm-up rolling, then work on technique drills for like an hour or so, then roll for the rest, usually only 15 or 20 minutes, since people have to leave, gym closes, etc.

The technique portion of the workout is not good exercise because of starting and stopping, limited duration activity and so forth.

The mat space is limited to in the freestyle rolling you sit a lot because there isn't room for a lot of guys to roll at once. Plus, as a relative n00b, you lose a lot and fast and have to give up your spot and sit. More sitting.

The problem is not the gym or coach, as they are great. It just isn't set-up for me and is better suited to the guys in better shape and / or the guys who are good and working on getting better. I could be wrong, but I don't think so.

My question is this: how can I get a decent workout from a marital arts class? What martial art?

A few caveats:

1) Please don't say "Well, XMA / Chanbara is the best if you just want to get in shape ... " That may be true, but come on. Why do that to me? Would you buy the shiny bo staff and do kata to techno? Have a heart.

2) If the advice is "Tough. You have to lift and run / bike and then go to class", thanks, but I was looking for a different solution. I know that would work and I don't doubt the dedication it takes to do it and I don't want to sound delusional, ungrateful or unrealistic. But I have 2 jobs (more or less) and can't hack that schedule. Which brings me to ...

3) If the answer is "No other way. Gotta spend more time. You're just being a whiny *****" I'm prepared to accept that. I very well may be a whiny *****.

Do your worst, you fit, beautiful, sons of bitches.
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 5:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, whiny ***** (hey, you said it!), here 'tis.

1.) Pick a martial art that emphasizes conditioning. MT or boxing come to mind. Most of the training will end up giving you a hell of a workout.

2.) Make sure you're in there as often as practical. I'm married with kids, and work evenings, so 5 nights/week isn't possible. But two nights is. Then a run every morning, for a half hour (before I f'd my knee), and doing my katas. A little every day is better than killing yourself once a week.

3.) Stop eating like ****. If you can't work out all the time, you can control your diet. That, combined with regular activity will help you lose the fat. I've lost a fair bit of weight, just by changing a few things in my diet (like no more corn chips!).

But you knew all this already, didn't you?

Go. Sweat. Be Happy.

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 6:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do pushups and situps while you wait for your turn to roll.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 7:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all, Deadpan is correct. I would say that squats are very beneficial as well. Hindu squats and pushups are great exercises.

Never sit down during a workout! It's just plain lazy and cools you down prematurely. You want to keep your heart rate going higher than normal to keep burning Cals. Standing up while watching others roll is the LEAST you can do. You should be shadowboxing or running on the spot. IMHO though, anything exercise that is useful for MA will keep you motivated more than running on the spot.

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 7:56pm

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Skip rope the pushups and situops might fatigue your muscles and you'll havbe bad technique when its your turn to roll.

Critical thinking from a non grappler but fellow fat ass
    "Its not important to be strong, its just important not to be weak."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 8:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not if you don't over-do it

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 8:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I pretty much agree with what everyone said. If you don't want to switch schools and train in a more active martial art like MT, I would get off your fat ass and start exercising outside of class. Like someone else said, the more you go the better off it will be for your weight loss plan. Also, try to cut a few things out of your diet that aren't needed. If you cut down on drinking beer, or soda, that will benefit you greatly. Not only does a can of soda have like 150 calories, but soda weakens your bones. Also, like said above, I would start coming to class early and doing sit-ups and push ups.
    or just go to the gym and get on the eliptical trainer...fatty

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 9:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pushups and situps can be done at home but if you do them in class so be it. Its good conditioining.

Afronaut.

You have two options.

1. Change martial arts schools. If that is possible. I have long working hours too. I only have 3 nights a week to train so i like my martial arts classes to be athletic. Join a martial arts dojo where there is lots of sparring and the training is hard and fitness based. Kyokushin, boxing, kickboxing, Judo whatever.

2. Continue going to your current martial arts place for fight technique. Do lots of running or skipping rope & pushups in your own time for fitness.

Personally I would go with my first option. Unless I get a good workout and do lots of padwork during training, I get pissed of. It doesn't feel like its worth going at all.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 10:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    Personally I would go with my first option. Unless I get a good workout and do lots of padwork during training, I get pissed of. I
    How come it never makes you angry enough to get off the sofa?

Posted On:
    1/20/2005 10:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by antman
    Skip rope the pushups and situops might fatigue your muscles and you'll havbe bad technique when its your turn to roll.

Critical thinking from a non grappler but fellow fat ass
    Actually, getting tired out will force you to have good technique, because you can't rely on explosive power.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast