Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/19/2005 11:17am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Being more aggressive when taking the back.

I have the problem of using that position to rest and wait for my opponent to make a move so I can capitalize. I always hate trying to force the position and wear myself out trying to get the sub. So now I am going to use a methodical approach to breaking them down.

Side note: I met David Myer in the weirdest way. He was going door to door signing people up for a petition back in like 1999-2000. I was wearing a BJJ tournament Tshirt when I answered the door. So he instantly started up a conversation. He said he was a blackbelt in BJJ under the Machados. I was like...uhhhh....bullshit? He was a dorky looking white guy with glasses. This was a BJJ BB? Sure enough we got to talking and it was obvious he knew what he was talking about. Showed me a few things about passing the guard, got me registered and then left. Strange how you meet people.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2005 11:37am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I need to work on smoother guard passes and keeping people in my guard.

I'd also like to learn how to keep from ending up with someone in my guard after I have their back. I often get their back and while trying to get my hooks in, somehow end up with them in MY guard.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/19/2005 11:50am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Need to be more aggresive offensively. Need to work on subs from the mount. Besides ezekiels I usually switch out to side for attacks.
    Subs and sweeps from the guard.

My positional work is decent, worked on it for awhile. Time to integrate it with attacks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2005 11:53am

Style: bjj and hitting stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Omoplata!

I learned it the first time within the first month of training, so the whole "get the triangle/triangle attempt and transition into the omoplata from here" was amazingly confusing and daunting.

I have been pretty much afraid of it this entire time, until a few nights ago when I was like "I need to figure out whats up with this move" after looking through some stuff online, I learned it wasn't nearly as scary as my one month of training mind thought.

So after drilling it a bit on the wife, I went to class that night and was able to get it three or four times, I felt pretty excited to say the least. It still needs a ton of work, but atleast now I have an idea how to get it started and what to look for.

This in particular really helped me understand it, the angles they used in the photos are great IMO:

http://www.grapplearts.com/Omo-Plata-Technique-1.htm

Other than that I'm also really focusing on my ability to pass the guard. Being still fairly new, I'm pretty familar with defending, only problem is I very rarely land subs from the guard, so I really need to get some better technique at passing them legs and hips.

Posted On:
    1/19/2005 5:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PoleFighter,
    Check out one of my posts on the kesa-katame thread on a side control escape.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    1/19/2005 6:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as no gi is concerned, Im very much working guillotine, kimura, and omoplata.
    Exactly what I'm working on... Plus my mount escapes, as always... :P
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Host-Personal Defense TV

Posted On:
    1/21/2005 2:11am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Set-ups, nothing but set-ups. Screw subbing guys. I want to set them up. If I get the set-up, the subs cry out "look at me Daddy, look at me"

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    1/21/2005 3:30pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a question about side control.

There are two ways I've seen people hold the position: legs sprawled out backwards, and sitting on heels with knees turned out. The legs sprawled out backwards one allows me to keep weight on the guy's chest, but leaves my hips out. The sitting-on-heels thing keeps my hips in tighter, but makes it harder to keep my weight on him.

Which is more important, which is better (obviously personal preference, explain why it's your favorite), and are there any other ways to hold side?
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2005 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweeps from open guard.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/21/2005 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IzzyDaHedgehog
    I have a question about side control.

There are two ways I've seen people hold the position: legs sprawled out backwards, and sitting on heels with knees turned out. The legs sprawled out backwards one allows me to keep weight on the guy's chest, but leaves my hips out. The sitting-on-heels thing keeps my hips in tighter, but makes it harder to keep my weight on him.

Which is more important, which is better (obviously personal preference, explain why it's your favorite), and are there any other ways to hold side?
    I sprawl my legs out. If your controlling the guys hip you shouldnt worry too much about him passing. I also find it easier to re-adjust your base when the opponent shifts.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast