• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/15/2003 2:40pm

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A friend and I wrestle at the park for fun, not for any real martial benefit. But we will use basic wrestling/bjj moves if we know them or see them in a book or something.

But I can never get my friend to fucking tap from a guillotine. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Is the guillotine supposed to cut the blood flow to the brain or is it supposed to close the windpipe?

I'm putting my forearm in his throat, which may be the problem (isn't it supposed to be the inside of the elbow?). I can never seem to get around his neck fast enough get the elbow in. Most of the time what happens is he is very uncomfortable and breathing sucks for him, but he has just enough air to not tap out.

Also, is closing someone's windpipe dangerous? I think part of the reason I haven't been able to get him to tap is that I've been weary of putting too much pressure on his windpipe.

He carries a gun.
    THE Arnold Schwarzenegger.
    A man with a plan.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2003 2:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The gullotine should be applying equal force to both sides of the neck. It should cut off bloodflow by applying pressure to the carodid artery and I notice when I'm in it (and I've spent a lot of time in it) that when the person is doing it right you can't breathe either. Chokes are not that dangerous when done properly. If done improperly by applying too much pressure to the throat you risk crushing the trachea. If you don't know how to do it it might be a good idea to consult someone who does. It's kind of risky business. There's an article by an MD on bjj.com articles section that gives a pretty good overview of the risks of chokes, I recommend reading it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2003 4:06pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you have to push down on his head to lock it in also...if he's able to look up, then he'll be able to tough it out

Posted On:
    2/15/2003 4:08pm

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait til you get his head traped then, grab your wrist step on his foot and lift.

Or go to your back and wrap your legs around him and lift.
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/15/2003 4:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    pull guard, scoot your hips out to the opposite dside of his head and lift. or better still pull half guard on his leg opposite the side of his head, this gives more pressure on the neck.

"said and done"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 1:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ach. That choke is evil. My Lord only knows how many times I've almost had my windpipe caved in from that one. Unfortunately, I've never made good enough use of it to correct technique. Thanks to you guys for the tips, though.

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 6:18am

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to get out of choke get take down then rotate around to the side you are being choked on and lift head out.

Also make sure your chin is down, helps stop chokes alot.
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Posted On:
    2/16/2003 6:29am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the person you're practising on lets you do a guilotine one them (no to little resistance) they will choke straight away and "tap" if done properly.

It cuts of the winpipe - a neck crank works on the side of the neck..
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.