Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 3:39pm

Style: Hashashin.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Please provide me online purchasing options for home gym necessities.

I currently have a set of free-weights and they go up to 50 lbs. I feel that's alright for several exercises, but I'd like to buy something I can bench press on. (I'm also not sure what price is worth buying heavier dumbells. There are a few exercises I currently do that 50 lbs is just not enough. Shoulder shrugs and stuff like that).

So uh, I'd like to buy a bench with those over-hanging hooks that you rest the bar on when you're doing the bench-press. I don't know where to buy such a thing nor what is a good price range. I'd like weights for the bar itself, any ideas on what price to expect for an olympic weight set would be appreciated.

Aside from the bench press and free weights, I'm not sure what exercises to do for my back and abdomen. (I used to do a weird machine exercises where you put your arms in a carriage of sorts and crunch down while sitting with 85 lbs with no problems, and I just don't feel stressed doing normal sit-ups. I'd like something far more difficult).

RedElvis recommended a great structure for bodyweight exercises, but unfortunately my basement ceiling is only 7 feet high, so I couldn't do muscle-ups on it.

I'd go to stores around my area, but I really don't know where to find quality home-gym equipment. Ah well, hope I've been clear, and thanks in advance.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 3:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of quality are you looking for? You could easily find some at Dick's Sporting Goods or the like if you want low-to-mid, most of the stuff you'll buy off the Internet will be more expensive unless you find some really good deals. I know the Dick's near me is charging like 25 cents a pound for plates.

Even better idea, and far more economical: go to a hardware store and a military surplus store. Get several bags of sand from the hardware store, and get a big green seabag from the surplus store. Fill the seabag with sand until it's at a weight you can lift with a lot of trouble. Use that, throw in a handful of sand every workout, and there you go. Probably will cost you less than $50 USD.
    Last edited by VikingPower; 1/18/2005 4:06pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 4:22pm

Style: Shen Ku master

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's a checklist for you or anyone wishing to get a basic home gym:

Plate loaded barbell and at least 300 lbs of freeweights (more depending on your best lifts) This one piece of equipment is the most important piece of exercise equipment in your gym. With it you can do presses, deadlifts, squats, oly lifts (why you would do them I don't know), all manners of variants, rows, and core exericises (barbell rollouts, saxon side bends, side presses, etc.)

Power rack - if you don't have a power rack you can't squat, or good morning, or do rack pulls, or any assortment of exercises. If you can't squat, you're not working out, you're just killing time in the gym. End of story. Also this means you don't have to clean the weight you're going to military press, and can be used in combination with an adjustable bench for flat and incline benches. You may want to invest in a dipping attachment and be sure it has a place for you to do pullups (of course you could just set the barbell up high and do pullups from it) THIS IS THE SECOND MOST IMPORTANT THING IN YOUR GYM

An adjustable bench - No rack on it (you have your power rack for that) no faggy leg extension/curl attachment (garbage exercises) just a bench all by it's lonesome. If you can afford a flat bench and an incline, then great buy both, but if you can't, then buy an adjutable one. you want the padding to be good, if you can push on it with your thumb and feel the board beneath the padding, that bench sucks. With this you can now add skull crushers, JM presses, bench press variants, etc. to your repetoir

Now, where to get them. www.elitefts.com sells probably some of the greatest quality equipment on the net, but it's not cheap. www.newyorkbarbells.com sells ok quality stuff (not something you should squat 1000 lbs on) that will probably work well for most lifters at very reasonable prices. oh yeah, and you may want to look for a used sporting goods store near you (Play it again sports has pretty good deals).

The next thing you should look into are dumbells. I wouldn't buy these off the net cause the prices for shiping can get ridiculous, but you can buy adjustable DBs and a shitwhack of 10 lb plates (20 should be a good start, along with a 4 5's and 4 2.5's) and they will work for just about everything you would use normal dbs for. www.Ironmind.com seems to have a great pair of adjustable DB's that will hold enough plates to weight 200 lbs. Ideally you would have a DB set that would go up this high in 5 lb increments, but like I said that can get pretty costly.

The next two things I would buy from www.elitfts.com cause they were invented and sold there and the quality is important. A Glute ham raise bench and a reverse hyper are great tools for strength developement. The former is one of the greatest posterior chain exercises in existence and the latter is great for training the chain without a lot of wear and tear on your lower back. But now you're getting into pretty specific stuff that is a lot less versatile than the first four things on the list

For an even more advanced gym invest in a oly lifting bar, some bumper plates and a lifting platform. now you can drop your weights after oly lifts and variants without fear of destroying your floor.

Beyond all this there are bands and chains, and other odds and ends that you will probably never need but belong in high level gyms.

OH ****! I forgot all about grip work! Well, while you're at ironmind checking out those dumbell handles, you can invest in Brookfeild's "Mastery of hand strength" and/or "hand training manual" and develop your own plan of attack for lower arm training purchases.

Anyways, hope that helped!
    Last edited by Urban; 1/18/2005 4:33pm at .

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 4:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can easily make a good homemade lifting platform too if you don't want to buy one. Just get a bunch of old used tires, attach them to the floor, cover it up with a big enough sheet of wood, and nail maybe 1" boards all around the edges so your **** doesn't roll off. It's stable, sturdy, and it'll last a good long time.

Check out the Captains of Crush grippers at Ironmind too, those things'll keep you busy. If you want thick bars, check out http://www.brutestrength.com They also have some good thick-handled dumbbells and a study and inexpensive squat rack.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 4:27pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are at least a dozen existing threads that more than thoroughly explore this topic.

Use the search button pleeeeze.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 4:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    What kind of quality are you looking for? You could easily find some at Dick's Sporting Goods or the like if you want low-to-mid, most of the stuff you'll buy off the Internet will be more expensive unless you find some really good deals. I know the Dick's near me is charging like 25 cents a pound for plates.

Even better idea, and far more economical: go to a hardware store and a military surplus store. Get several bags of sand from the hardware store, and get a big green seabag from the surplus store. Fill the seabag with sand until it's at a weight you can lift with a lot of trouble. Use that, throw in a handful of sand every workout, and there you go. Probably will cost you less than $50 USD.
    Middle-to-high? I'd like stuff that lasts and gives me a good workout. Outside of that I can't say I know specifically what makes good or great equipment. I don't think I'd like to improvise, as I'd be taking up space in my parent's basement.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 4:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Reese
    There are at least a dozen existing threads that more than thoroughly explore this topic.

Use the search button pleeeeze.
    Okay, sorry.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 4:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    Check out the Captains of Crush grippers at Ironmind too, those things'll keep you busy.
    Grippers are fun, but there are far better ways to develop hand strength. Brookfield gives the equation: block weights = hand strength

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 4:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tef-the-Persian
    I'm not sure what exercises to do for my back and abdomen. (I used to do a weird machine exercises where you put your arms in a carriage of sorts and crunch down while sitting with 85 lbs with no problems, and I just don't feel stressed doing normal sit-ups.
    **** that ****, do deadlifts and rows for your back, saxon side bends, dragond flags, rollouts, side presses, bent presses, situps, windmills, full contact twists, russian twists, and cable crunches for abs and your midsection.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast