• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 12:56am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three hundred and fifty grand a piece did that say? It's late over here so maybe I read that wrong, but I hadn't realized that the UFC had made enough financial gains to be able to offer that much. If memory serves, Royce Gracie made several times less for winning UFC tournaments than these guys will get just for training in front of the camera.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 1:08am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think the show is all on Zuffa's dime.
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 1:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The winner gets the money, not every contestant.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 1:47am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Oh, they can pay...

Tv networks can put more money behind something then god. Spike TV is kind of a b-movie channel, but spike tv is Ted Turner is CNN...so they can pay. Also, even with a decent prize, a reality show is so cheap . . . 350,000 to the winner, nothing but airfare, food, and lodging for the others...some low-quality cameras scattered through a house and gym (mounted cameras are cheaper then steady cams or studio cams)a minimal crew, mostly camera guys and editors (trust me when I say we don't get paid a hell of a lot in the TV industry). . . you could make a whole season of this show for 2-5 million dollars.

The cast salary for something like friends or will and grace is several million an episode, before you even pay for the amenities and crew...

A cheap major studio feature film still costs 5-10 million bucks

So that's the real reason for reality TV - it's low risk. A lot of the time, the ad revenue for the first couple episodes pays for the development.

Also, the prize was worded as "a contract with the UFC" so it's proabably paid over time as the winner appears in more then one event...

I'm pysched for both this show and the contender, though. I thought one of the best reality shows to date was the pro-wrestling show Tough Enough . . . because the task the contenstants were attempting was hard, interesting, and something the average person couldn't and didn't do, so it was good TV...better then something like the bachelor, for god's sake.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 1:57am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Show your support and watch the show.

If you are a really groovy hipster you will write a letter of appreciation.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 2:14am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have spike. I don't actually watch TV at home - 8-10 hours a day is enough!

But I'll right the letter anyway, or at least an email, and I'll buy the DVD of the show when it comes out.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Unexpected Elbow

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 2:25am

Join us... or die
     Style: MMA/Pankration

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    Show your support and watch the show.

If you are a really groovy hipster you will write a letter of appreciation.
    MAYBE I WILL SMARTYPANTS!
    "The depressing thing about tennis is that no matter how good I get, I'll never be as good as a wall." - Mitch Hedberg

El Guapo says dance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 12:18pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brandeiss,

I'm pulling for Kenny too. He's one of the most decent guys you could meet and I think he'd make a positive contribution to the marketing image of the UFC. (I know it's entertaining to have your bad@$$ characters, but it's also good to have decent and smart guys who are as bad as they need to be when they're in the ring.)

I really hope the editors of this show have a better sense of restraint than the ones that did "The Next Great Champ" though. All the interaction on that show seemed forced, and the fights were so over-edited that you couldn't really get a sense of the entire match. We'll find out soon.

-JimmyZ

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 12:12am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2 hours to go.

Im REALLY hoping this isn't going to be some MTV 'real life' bullshit where they bring in the biggest fucking drama queens in hopes of making bad situations worse. I fucking hate reality TV. Hate. Hate. Hate.

Im hoping of a more documentary feel with some serious training sessions. I wanna see people trying to manage their dreams with the commitments. How the prioritize and sacrifice. I don't want to see Johnny yelling and Bobby over some stupid bullshit and then having to vote someone off the show.

Maybe I am hoping for too much.

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 12:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looks like they have one drama queen
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast