Sponsored Links Spacer Image

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    1/22/2005 10:39am

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'm watching it again tonight. I enjoyed watching it Monday, since it did feature one of my old training buddies. Some thoughts on the show.

1) Diego is a good friend of mine and everything, but damn boy, don't you have some boxer shorts? Tighty whities are definitely out. However, I will say this in Diego's defense. He's been doing this all of what, three years now? I met him in 2001 when he was fresh out of high school and only had his folkstyle wrestling experience (granted, he was a NM state champ, so he wasn't exactly a rookie). He has worked his ass off to accomplish what he has in the last three years (Middleweight champ in KOTC, Grappler's Quest Nationals Champion) and he's had to put up with more than his share of unfair bullshit from the BJJ 'in' crowd. So cut him a break if he comes off as a little arrogant on the show. God knows how I would have come across if I had done something like that when I was 22.

2) I almost feel sorry for these guys. Can you imagine having cameras around 24 hours a day for 50 days and they only show, what, 8 hours or so out of that? All that funny or cool or witty **** you said for the camera is now laying on the cutting room floor. Now everyone will remember you for the stupid **** you did.

3) If they want to make these guys seem human, show some footage of their hometowns, show some clips of the gyms they train at. If they just concentrate on what goes on in the house, the older guys will come across as boring old farts while the younger guys will seem like total immature dicks. Maybe they will do all of this in later episodes, but that was just my impression.

4) Why is Willa Ford on the show? Didn't the UFC learn anything after they cut Carmen Electra loose? Get Ed O'Neil (Al Bundy) to host, he's a funny bastard and he trains in BJJ. Or if you absolutely HAVE to have a female host, get one of the elite female boxers (Mia St. John or Muhammed Ali's daughter or someone with some personality). Ford just seems. . . out of place, I dunno. Maybe I'm just getting old or something.

Anyway, I give it a 8 out of 10 so far. And that's before any of the matches, those should definitely make things exciting.

P.S. Oh yeah, Hey Mark, what's up in NM? I'm still stuck here in Florida, doing the staff weenie thing. At least I found some good guys to roll with here. PM me if you get a chance, I'll shoot you one here in a sec.
    Last edited by Vargas; 1/22/2005 10:42am at .
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/22/2005 6:04pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dai-Tenshi
    Leben is gonna lose. Best fighter there my ass.
    He is 15-1 with his only lose coming by desision to Joe Doerkson and his last win he broke Benji Radiks (sp?) jaw. The guy can fight.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011