Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 2:43am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Solo grappling drills

I'd like to work on my grappling at home but I am sorrounded by lazy people. Does anyone have any drills that I can do on my own. Using a diy/cheap apparatus is okay....

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 2:45am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Use a basketball

put it on the ground, and put your chest on it, then walk around/up and back, keeping all your weight on that point

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 2:59am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I, too, want to work on these fundamentals, but there's no good MMA school near me (that I know of, at any rate - I'm asking around).

Now, the basketball thing I get - it's practice for the sort of mobility in a sprawl I've seen my buddies on the wrestling team use to great effect, right?

I've also been working shots into shadowboxing and bagwork, like a kick-punch-shot or a punch-punch shot or punch-block-shot, but I don't know if my shots are so good, and I don't want to memorize them wrong, so I mostly just drop and come back up, kind of leaving a space in my combos where shots will go once I learn them better.

One thing I do, is a breakfall or a backward roll, followed by flipping over into (everyone's fav) the front-leaning rest, then standing, as quick as I can, in the hopes it translates into quicker transitions when I get taken down. Is that something I'm wasting my time with? It's good cardio, at least...
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 3:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    grass drills?

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 4:14am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh...you mean where you run in place, "bite the grass" and pop back up?

And no, Osiris, not really. Central. Wyoming. Imagine mississippi, but a tenth the population, freezing cold and without riverboats.

There's a couple classes around town, but the ones I've found time to sit in on are pretty 'sporty' and I don't have the best schedule in the world...there was one decent gym in town that claimed sport TKD, but would teach you with all the contact you wanted, and some grappling in for those that wanted it, but I didn't make the money to avail myself of that when I could, and now it's changed a lot, and is no longer what I'm really looking for. I'm thinking of actually yellow-paging the instructors from there and seeing what they're doing on their own....

I'm still looking around, but so far no luck. I'm not locked in on BJJ, either, I'm looking for judo, vanilla JJ, whatever I can find...

But in the meantime, I'm trying to rebuild cardio and lose wieght, and if I can do that in a way that will help me later, that'd be better then just doing it on a treadmill...
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 4:20am

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not that it's anything close to a good drill: But when I am really bored I work some chokes on a large pillow. I think that it has helped the speed I apply a RNC, but it could also be that I'm just getting better at it from training.

I hear the grappling dummies are pretty good. I am currently investigating building one being the cheapo I am. I am pretty sure Ronin69 has one if you are interested.

The Eternal n00b

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 6:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: CM Boxing/BJJ/RBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz
    Not that it's anything close to a good drill: But when I am really bored I work some chokes on a large pillow. I think that it has helped the speed I apply a RNC, but it could also be that I'm just getting better at it from training.
    I've worked chokes on a large teddy bear before, but I don't quite think it's the same...

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 1:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The grappling dummy is a great tool for drills, IF you can afford it.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 1:49pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm surprised no references to masturbation have come up yet :P

If you have a heavy bag that you can detach easily, you can do a lot with one of those, practicing suplexes and mobility drills. Only other option is to bribe one of your friends to grapple with you at first and hope they get interested in it.

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 8:24am

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    The grappling dummy is a great tool for drills, IF you can afford it.
    How much are they?
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast