• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 5:45pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Assisting with MMA competition rules

I'm coordinating bi-weekly MMA sparring sessions for a group of ameture martial artists (including myself) at my college and am currently making some final descisions about the rule set. I was looking for some insight on a couple of issues from people with more experience with different rule sets.

First off, because of where we are competing there is a lot of concern about safety. So, the rules started with PRIDE rules and then some changes were agreed upon to tame it a little. Most prominently with the elimination of certain types of chokes, elbows to the face, and the addition of required head gear. Currently there are two things in contention that I would like advice about.

1. The current rules eliminate a lot of chokes that are particularly effective and usually associated with MMA competition. (With the way they rules are worded, the RNC is currently out.) Now, while I'm also someone who's concerned about allowing all kinds of chokes in an ameture competition, something about it feels a little too restricting. For those with experience, is the fear that speed chokes, such as the RNC, greatly increase the chance of serious injury unfounded?

2. Currently there is no allowance for padding of the upper body. Is potential damage to the solar plexis or diaphragm likely enough to warrent requiring some?

Keep in mind in your response that these guys are not beginners. There is high contact experience prerequisits that are strict enough to ensure that everyone at least has a good amount of actual stand up and grappling experience.

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 6:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1 "Speed" aka blood chokes aren't dangerous unless they are held while the person is already unconscious. If you are going to eliminate any chokes, you should eliminate wind chokes (across the throat, rather than on the sides).

2 No

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 7:10pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Brand is right.
    I'm sure everyone there does conditioning and possibly strength training.
    Also, Brand is correct.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 7:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Os has a point.

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 7:34pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Osiris again.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 8:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    If you need to ask, leave them alone.

See above answer.

In fact, if you don't have enough full contact striking or submission grappling experience to know about the dangers or lack there of of proper strikes or of strangles, perhaps you don't need to be running this club. I saw that you mentioned prerequisites, but if you really have that experience and an understanding of it, why are you asking these obvious ass questions?
    Okay, let me give you some background. First off, I'm coordinating the group and write up all the rules because I have the most experience with technical writing. I'm not the most experienced martial artist, though I have boxed and grappled enough to meet prerequisits. Now, this is also being held on campus and I have represent the group as far as talking to others and convincing them not to throw us out.

When these issues come up, and I know they will, the only reasoning I have behind my answers comes from personal experience and what the rules were for other places where I trained. Now, because of my experience I can say with fair certainty that there's no need for any more padding than already given and that the current rules against chokes are kind of messed up. But if I'm going to be convincing people I was hoping for a better response to the question than I could give on my own. So, just with all the other writing I'm doing for the group, I'm trying to gel as much input together as I can so I can better reherse all the PR crap.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 9:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually I'm more concerned with someone on campus saying that this can't be right and going to one of the other martial arts clubs for input. The initial choke rules and the considerations about further padding came up more as a means of placation to outsiders who can have us ousted than any serious safety concerns from those in the group. I sent this question to you guys, another group, and a former instructor more as a means of being able to gather better information to defend the final descisions. Sorry if I misrepresented this a little in the beginning. I wasn't surprised by the answers. I just wanted to get some more details to round out my argument if I have to represent us to others.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 9:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    What ARE your prerequisites anyway?
    Prereqs are (they also have to provide some reasonable proof) at least two years competing in any one of the following in a credible gym or dojo:

stand-up striking competition that uses an existing professional rule set where the goals for victory include knockout and technical knockout. (This included virtually all forms of boxing and kickboxing and was used to keep all kinds of point fighters away.)

grappling competition that uses an existing professional rule set where the goals for victory include subbing your opponent

MMA competition with both standing and ground fighting where knockout, technical knockout, and submission are included among the goals for victory.

Now, competition was used a little oddly in the wording of this. This was because we wanted to reflect that both people who did those kind of competitions as part of their dojo training or people who would box and kickbox with an existing professional rule set at a gym.

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 9:30pm

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know Os I know where he's coming from. A lot of schools tend to kick up a fuss about things like that, and they always threaten to replace your class time and give it to some other bullshit club like Yoga or something, which almost always are at max capacity and need more space. The way I see it he's got a right to feel like his position's being threatened if he can't explain exactly everything that happens in the club to the overseeing body, so he's covering his bases.

Lampa: If you're really encountering stumbling blocks here, brand your club as a self-defence type think that trains escapes from hostile situations. A lot of TMAs get away with wristlocks and chokes by branding them as self-defence scenarios. Granted that's a far cry from grappling, but what's in a name right? Claim that the club is all about escaping from chokes or submissions rather than learning to PUT the submissions in play. It makes it a whole lot easier for the pencil-pushers to understand.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 9:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know, provided that no one is paying very close attention than that will probably work out okay. The one advantage about not asking for any money is that they spend less time watching what you do with the space if you're free and unofficial. Thanks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast