226084 Bullies, 3946 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: What's your excuse for not doing BJJ?

Voters
253. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hold the power of Kimura.

81 32.02%
  • Free Hapkido at my dojang.

7 2.77%
  • Kempo is a Complete Systemô.

12 4.74%
  • I fight for team Hammer House.

13 5.14%
  • Royce Gracie is an asshole.

38 15.02%
  • My art rediscovered its ancient grappling katas in 1993.

24 9.49%
  • Fighting on the ground is the same as fighting on your feet.

8 3.16%
  • I won't get taken down.

22 8.70%
  • Anti-grappling.

17 6.72%
  • Romophobia.

31 12.25%
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 8:35pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just noticed the Similar Threads listing for this poll has someone making the right choice:

I have decided on BJJ

It's the only choice.

This post brought to you by Rapesafe by Rorion Gracie. BJJ - For the Streets.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 8:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Answer # 13:

I'm a master of the Dillman Death Touch... It works really good on most BJJ-ers and ninjas! Those Brazillians have funny accents too and wear speedos to the beach. I can probably use my chi energy to keep them off and I can pinch them and bite to create space. Not to mention that if we fight on broken glass and lava rocks (the candy) they are royally screwed! I can also push my fingers into their eyes and testicals to beat the guard and head butt them like Mark Coleman. If there is a fight with multiple opponents they will get stomped and if someone has a knife they will get stabbed too. Most people don't walk around with gi's on so they don't fight like they train and people can still fight with broken arms and popped knees not to mention that they don't know takedowns and they can't keep me from keeping the fight standing if I want to because my takedown and anti-grapple skills are the bomb and I can talk for a really long time without taking a breath like you see that I am doing right here!

:spanky:
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 8:43pm

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I simply won't get taken down to the ground because I'll use my l33t TKD footwork skills to evade and spin kick anybody who tries to grapple me. I was instructed by WTF medalists and they know this. BJJ is just a bunch of people rolling on the ground and not really fighting, real men KICK OTHER MEN IN THE FACE.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 8:44pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's funny because it's true...
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 8:56pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris
    Rapesafe? Hope its better than their self defense book.
    The book is hampered because one of the author's names does not start with "R". It is still an excellent book and handily defeats any RBSD/combatives nutjob attacker.

This post brought to you by Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Self-Defence Techniques by Royce and Charles Gracie. No glass? No lava? No problem!

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 9:04pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hapesafe.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 9:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ill give a serious response- i studied with rickson for a few years when i was younger - my main instructor rockson was killed and my mom didnt really want me going back after that summer because she didnt really like the whole vibe of it- i have a bunch of friends who do bjj and my brother started doing bjj again- ive been training in hapkido for the past few years along with tai chi and shuai chiao- whenever i get together with my friends who only train bjj and we spar- i rock them in stand up- and i know enough to handle my self on the ground- my instructor in shuai chiao and tai chi (i odnt care what you think^^)- is a very well rounded fighter- hes a great instructor and has really filled in all the gaps of my hapkido training- he has trained with people like eric paulson and other accomplished grapplers- he is a contributing editor of black belt magazine- and is just an all around great guy- he really took me under his wing- i train hapkido with bong soo han- yes there is ground fighting in our curriculum at higher levals.
    so my reason for not trianing in bjj is that i dont feel like its the style for me- i respect it highly and know what is has to offer- but i feel that i do better as a striker-
    also yes- i feel in terms of self defence- i feel more comfortable on my feet- yes i know there is a high possiblilty of me being taken to the ground- thats why i train shuai chiao- and work on submission wrestling-
    there are lots of kids around where i live who train bjj and start fights just to **** kids up- i feel that i know enough on the ground to stay safe and defend my self- and enough on my feet to knock the **** out of most of those kids

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 9:42pm

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lifetime
    I simply won't get taken down to the ground because I'll use my l33t TKD footwork skills to evade and spin kick anybody who tries to grapple me. I was instructed by WTF medalists and they know this. BJJ is just a bunch of people rolling on the ground and not really fighting, real men KICK OTHER MEN IN THE FACE.
    I actually know people who tell me this.

One of them told me, "I have my TKD black belt, you can't get close enough to me to get me on the ground." Instead of pointing out that 1) I too have a TKD black and it means nothing 2) I am about a head and a half taller than him and 3) I have about 30 lbs on him, I just tackled him and held him under side control for a couple minutes.

I like to disillusion people like that.
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Perpetually Punchdrunk

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 9:47pm

Style: TKD, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In general, when you do that, people will say, well in a REAL situation, I would have..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 9:49pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the closest BJJ place is about an hour away. I'm a poor college student, too.
    Last edited by Breakfast Fox; 1/17/2005 5:41am at .
Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast