224867 Bullies, 3129 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 8:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Temporalmandibular disorder: things to know as a fighter

TMD (we'll call it that since it's easier) is a pretty minor thing for the most part, it's just either a sore or unaligned upper jaw so I didn't think too much of it whenever I got it three weeks ago. Now I actually have to go get oral surgery for it, which is a bitch, because that means no sparring for quite some time.

I originally thought it was just an ear infection, as there was an inordinate amount of pressure behind my left ear. I went and got it checked out after the 3rd or 4th day, and the doc told me TMD, which was no sweat I thought. Normally you just have to ice it, don't sing or yawn too much, don't spar, and take a few Advil to help the pain. You can get it from any sharp blow at the right angle, from any kind of impact. Mine was actually not from an actual punch that I know of, it just started hurting when I was at work. I'll let you guys know what else they find out, but if anyone else has those symptoms (pressure behind the ear, sore jaw, etc.) that's what you've got.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 2:11am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow. Now I know what was wrong with me when I played football in highschool and I couldn't chew without pain in my ear for two weeks. I guess I should have gone to a doctor...
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 2:16am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GDI now you are scaring me.

My jaw hasn't been right in years.

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 10:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry :P

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 10:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whoa!

This is known as TMJ in the medical field. (Tempromandibular Joint Dysfunction).

How old are you Koto? I am telling you right now that if you have surgery on that little meniscus in there, it will ever be right.

Just leave it, do some PT and conservative care. At the very least, you need a second opinion. Surgery on the TMJ is serious, you could be fucked up worse.

What ever you do, think long and hard before you go under the knife on this procedure.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 11:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Mantis
    How old are you Koto? I am telling you right now that if you have surgery on that little meniscus in there, it will ever be right.
    For real? I'm around my mid 20s right now. What kind of side effects could it lead to? I think it'll just be a pre-screening on Thursday but today I go and pick up my X-rays from my dentist (he's been my dentist for years, and pretty irritated about all the stuff that happens to me :)) I'll ask him as well. I'll also do some looking around on the Web. Many thanks Mantis.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 11:41am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Koto_Ryu

TMJ is really serious, and as Mr. Mantis has pointed out, there isn't conclusive evidence that ANY treatment really works. Before you do anything irreversible, you should get a second and third opinion. The National Institue of Health now advocates against things like surgery.

Good luck!

Irreversible Treatments

Irreversible treatments should be avoided when possible and not rushed into. According to the National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research, most irreversible treatments are of little value-and may make the problem worse. These include orthodontics to change the bite, occlusal adjustment, and grinding down teeth to bring the bite into balance. A mandibular repositioning splint (often referred to as an orthotic) is also considered an irreversible treatment. The safety and efficacy of most TMJ treatments, including TMJ surgeries and jaw implants, have not been demonstrated in clinical trials. Scientists strongly recommend using reversible treatments before considering invasive treatments. Even when the TMJ problem has become chronic, most patients still do not need invasive types of treatment.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 11:46am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A friend of mine had TMJ. Her Denstist suggested changing her bite with a dental appliance and some minor surgery. After a couple of years the change in the bite pressure cracked open the joint at the end of her jaw. She had to have major surgery to rebuild her jaw, really brutal.

Be careful.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 11:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Koto, I think you are too young for surgery. Side effects include irreversible pain and discomfort in your jaw joint for the rest of your life. I have serious doubts that the meniscectomy really works. All I hear are complaints. If the surgery does work for you, I am willing to bet you will be worse off in 10 years.

Research this heavily.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 9:08am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I asked my doctor about the same treatment and he told me I should get a vasectomy. maybe you should ask yours? :tard:
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast