Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 9:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One big thing your missing from your rule set is a prohibition on spiking or slamming your opponent. You can have takedowns, but I would make it clear their intent is to obtain postional domiance, not to cause injury. No sending people head first, no driving your opponent into the ground. There was a pretty scary incident at the first Nor Cal Throwdown. Everyone's having a good time, and all of a sudden someone gets back suplexed as everyone is watching with their jaws dropped. I have the thing on tape, it still makes me cringe. No one got hurt, but it could have been very nasty.

The other thing you need is some sort of action plan for if things go wrong. Assume you will need to summon medical attention and have a means to do so, i.e. a cell phone.

Another thing to consider is setting up some sort of referring system. I've seen it a hundred times. Two guys start out with the best of intentions, but one of them hits a little too hard or in a questionable area. Guy #2 retaliates, pretty soon you have a situation escalating out of control. Having a objective, impartial observer designated to tell the guys to turn it down a notch, or to tell one fighter he's done even if he wants to keep going can be invaluable. It could even solve your choke problem. "Chokes" are legal, but choking people out isn't, no squeezing allowed. As soon and the ref thinks the choke is set, the fight's over.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 9:50pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Punisher
    One big thing your missing from your rule set is a prohibition on spiking or slamming your opponent. You can have takedowns, but I would make it clear their intent is to obtain postional domiance, not to cause injury. No sending people head first, no driving your opponent into the ground. There was a pretty scary incident at the first Nor Cal Throwdown. Everyone's having a good time, and all of a sudden someone gets back suplexed as everyone is watching with their jaws dropped. I have the thing on tape, it still makes me cringe. No one got hurt, but it could have been very nasty.

The other thing you need is some sort of action plan for if things go wrong. Assume you will need to summon medical attention and have a means to do so, i.e. a cell phone.

Another thing to consider is setting up some sort of referring system. I've seen it a hundred times. Two guys start out with the best of intentions, but one of them hits a little too hard or in a questionable area. Guy #2 retaliates, pretty soon you have a situation escalating out of control. Having a objective, impartial observer designated to tell the guys to turn it down a notch, or to tell one fighter he's done even if he wants to keep going can be invaluable. It could even solve your choke problem. "Chokes" are legal, but choking people out isn't, no squeezing allowed. As soon and the ref thinks the choke is set, the fight's over.
    Actually, we do have a reffing system. Guess I left that out. They are there to stop the fight in case of a fault, injury, and to ensure that all contact is broken after the tap out. We also have an action plan.

I didn't consider problems with spiking, though. It isn't specifically addressed in the rules. I guess I should probably run that through.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 2:26am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good reffing watching the person in the choke is pretty essential.
    So is screening...if I were you, I'd consider a physical or a test of basic strength and endurance...a lot of people have a lot of experience BSing about their MA background.

I'd say no slams and suplexes, at least until you've all practiced them outside of open sparring and have a good surface to work on.

In my way of thinking, knee and other joint locks are probably something you're going to have to watch as close or closer then chokes... that's where I've seen the injuries when less trained people worked grappling on their own...most people tap in a choke, but they don't seem to know when a joint's about to pop...

Make sure you have waviers, not that they're ironclad. . .

edit, more on reffing: Make sure you have a couple extra people there when a newb spars for the first time. We had a guy come into our campus club once exclusively to get in a fight and kick someone's ass, and we had to eject him...
    Last edited by JohnnyCache; 1/17/2005 2:30am at .
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12