Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 2:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    New thread if anyone wants to debate it.

Loving Father

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 4:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Tao Ga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listen to Batman. . .

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    2/01/2005 11:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Randy Couture had spent 25 years doing MMA he would be even better than he is now.

Originally Posted by Strong Machine
    ... He tried lots of standing wristlocks,which is difficult when you are repeatedly getting doubelegged.

You do realize that joint locks are generally not offensive in nature and used mainly if someone grabs you in a particular way?"

Which is why they suck ass.
    Cause an attacker often refuses to grab you in the "particular way" that you ask him to,

Posted On:
    2/02/2005 7:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you Osiris.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Machine
    Which is why they suck ass.
    Cause an attacker often refuses to grab you in the "particular way" that you ask him to,
    And thats why is called Passive. Its meant to break certain holds so you can set yourself up for a counter move. (There are some moves though that can be apllied as locks.)
    You can ask any Grecco-Roman wrestler about the effectiveness of joint locks. And they will tell you. (They do use them.)
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Posted On:
    2/02/2005 11:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok I will.I am betting that he will say "we can't do jointlocks in greco" In fact I'm sure of it as none of the hundreds of wrestlers I've trained with ever used the term to me when discussing wrestling or training wrestling with me.But we'll see.

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 12:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please do. Maybe non of the wrestler you trained with were Grecco Roman wrestlers. I guess they never heard of the Full Nelson, Half Nelson, Hammer lock etc.

Royce Gracies in his self defense book has applications of certain joint locks to break out of a variety of holds (I'm sure they got into enough fights in Brazil to give some merrit to certain joint lock techniquess. Although they use a old jiujitsu version of joint locks. ) Jigoro Kano devoted some time with it as well.
    Last edited by Freddy; 2/03/2005 12:34pm at .
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 2:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Please do. Maybe non of the wrestler you trained with were Grecco Roman wrestlers. I guess they never heard of the Full Nelson, Half Nelson, Hammer lock etc."

I am sure they've heard of headlocks, lockjaw, jimmying a lock and locks of hair too.
    But joint lock? We'll see.Forgot to ask at class today if any of the wrestlers there had done greco.
    I'm pretty sure some actually did Greco.In fact one guy at the school taught greco to some of the other guys before they joined my club.At least they said he did and he confirmed this.In fact he used to spin tales of his losses to Kendal Cross at 118 and the other wrestlers told me about them.I assure you that I know the difference between greco, freestyle, folkstyle, and even collegiate wrestling and have encountred a wide variety of wrestlers of different styles over the course of many years.
    I realise they work against joints to get positional advantage and maybe some do refer to that as jointlocks.But maybe it's a regional thing.I haven't heard such language.

Posted On:
    2/03/2005 3:25pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They may or may not necessarily use the term "joint lock" but technically they are joint locks (Keep in mind I'm basically using the English translation and classification of particular jiujitsu techniques).
    Ghost of Charles Dickens
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456