Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 8:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience - and I know this might go against what a lot of other BJJ teachers say - you should never block his hips with your forearm from under side control. The reasons being:
    1) Advanced people will drop all their weight on your arm and your arm will get stuck to the mat and you won't be able to turn.
    2) If he drops his weight on your arm, your arm will become very tired, very quickly.
    3) When your arms go away from your body he can get his chest on your chest and make it even harder to get him off.
    4) If you block his hip with your forearm and try to move your hips away your arm will stay where it is. This will make it difficult for you to turn onto your side fully, so he can drive with his chest against your top shoulder and push you flat on your back again.
    5) There's no way you can block someone your own size or heavier from moving with your forearm against his hip.
    6) You're susceptible to kesa-katame :)

Here is a very simple escape for basic side control when your opponent is on your right side that I use myself:
    1) Keep your arms in tight against your body.
    2) Walk your feet away
    3) Bridge then drop onto your right side
    4) As you drop down from your bridge your left hand should grab his right wrist (where he's blocking your hip).
    5) Your right ear is against your right bicep so he can't cross-face you and put you flat on your back again
    6) Keep control of his wrist so he can't run around you.
    7) Walk your feet away so you're 180 degrees from your opponent or put him back in your guard.

Points 1 through 6 are all key points that must be followed for you to escape. I can't emphasise point 2 enough - you have to walk your feet away first or you'll be trying to turn *into* your opponent and it just won't work because you won't be able to shift your opponent.

There are plenty of escapes out there, but be very wary of any escape that has you trying to support your opponent's weight with your forearm against his hip.

Professional Fighter/Instructor

Posted On:
    1/17/2005 12:28am

supporting member
     Style: Pro-Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The foot pull isnt a hamstring stretch.It is more of a hip/knee thing.
    In your example of getting caught in kesa you are having your right arm pulled out.
    He should be able to do that.I find in general that if you are aleways on your side facing the man trying to flatten you out that preventing any solid holddown is alot easier.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 8:49am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had most of my success escaping to their back by throwing a hook in as I escape to their rear. But as has been said, I've also nearly gotten my hip torn out from people spinning or catching my foot and turning, so you've got to be careful about it. I've never tapped to it since no one has been ingenious enough to go for it as a submission, but it does crank your leg like a mofo.

Didn't so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 10:16am

Style: Ex-TKD, BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aaron Fields just PM'd this to me, used with permission:

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Fields
    kesa is a tough hold if well set in. One method that I use, which has not been mentioned. I use the back hand reach over and grab his leg which is closest to my head. Roll towards my opponent and "pull my self up" using the hand on his leg. Good luck and the best advice it ...mat time..
    sudo make me a sandwich!

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 10:55am

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Am I the only guy who wraps my arms around his waist and bridges? Usually pretty easy to roll them after that. The only catch is they will flair their legs out to prevent the roll, so you gotta work pretty hard for it. But that's why we all go to the gym, right?
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 10:57am

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have always had good luck with an alternating approach. Umpa, yank the elbow down. If they stop that, umpa their head straight towards the floor, dive your hips under theirs. As they sink down you are under them. Then just roll them across and take side control.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 5:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scrapper,
    If you have to work hard to get the bridge to work, the problem is the angle, not the amount of time at the gym. You want to roll the guy over his own arm. So if he's on your right side, bridge him up towards your left ear and over his arm.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 9:37pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a perfect world, yes. however my guys aren't usually aren't that cooperative....but I do concede that a properly executed bridge should not technically require significant effort. I just so rarely get it perfect!
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    1/18/2005 9:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It helps if you move your hips into him to get a better angle. Also, if his front leg is out straight, you're going to need to turn him so that he can brace with it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast