Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 7:21am

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Vegas Mega Throwdown, what you missed

Totally bitchin' event guys, and for all you PUSSIES that didn't show, you missed a great Throwdown.

Omega schooled us all in the finer points of pain with this way cool leg lock from inside the guard, I can't wait to use it next time.

Me, I just tried to keep my head on my shoulders when sparring everyone. I was really impressed with the guys that showed up, real heart and good skills, without all the posturing. I would personally like to thank all the guys that I sparred with for keeping their heads straight and not getting silly. In other words, noboby had to get a lesson in humility.

Omega certainly kept everything interesting, and should you have an oppurtunity to train with him, you shoud really take him up on it. He's down to earth and very real, and I'm going to make sure to visit him again very soon.

All in all, two hours of some good, hard-hitting fun and I can't wait for the next one.

Clyde
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 7:41am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate the fact I missed this. I've met Omega before, and I agree. Although he's every bit as loud in person as he is on the forum, he's actually something of a nice guy. Very skilled, and a great teacher. I'm going to marry him someday.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 11:49am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Please give more write-up. YEAH!!! WHAT!!?!? OK!!!!
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Taking a break

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 12:28pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They're all lying. If they really did have a throwdown, as opposed to gamble away all of Phrosts money, they'd have had the videos up by now. In 3D, with 5.1 sound.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 12:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Clyde basically owned one section of the mat. While we were taking breaks and chatting, he was waiting for his next victim. We had no excuse (age, smoking, too much coffee, etc...he had us beat on all of them, and he still never quit). I gotta say I had a blast, even though I didn't get to roll or spar with everyone, and I was being schooled the whole time.

Omega showed us one of his patented leglocks (after he couldn't remember how to do the new ghetto leglock he wanted to show us) that I just couldn't get. I still gotta work on positioning, and he's got us rolling over people after the shot to take the heel hook. Then he showed us another much simpler one from inside someone's closed guard that was much easier to land. He also showed us the counter, and of course in true BJJ fashion, the counter to the counter. I was partnered up with Te no Kage during that part.

Then I got to roll with BeatdownRitchie, who just let me waste all my energy defending agaisnt either the upper or lower body while he did what he pleased when I wasn't paying attention. I was doing what I thought was a halfway decent job of preventing him from taking the mount when the next thing I know I'm tapping to the arm triangle. And man that figure four body lock is rough when you've got extra "padding" around the midsection. I couldn't breathe, and I ended up tapping to what I'm guessing was a setup for an actual submission (he had my left arm, but my left shoulder is a bit tender, so I had to tap from that, since he had my back, and I couldn't do much else...I figure he would have had a choke immediately afterwards anyway).

Then I moved on to some standup. Clyde hurt me. There's not much else to say :5paperbag He stood his ground and any distance I put between us to catch my breath and think, he was cutting with short stalking steps. I caught I side kick to the ribs early on (I think it's bruised or something...I'm still in pain), then he put a picture perfect side kick right into my face, which I promptly walked into. He's got some great control, because he placed his foot in my face instead of blasting me. Plus he knew I wasn't wearing a cup, so he pulled every groin shot (there were a few close calls, but I figured there was nothing I could have done anyway).

It was a lot of fun, and Omega sure does have a very energetic personality.
    Last edited by Jaguar Wong; 1/16/2005 12:40pm at .
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Kenpo Instructor

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 1:22pm

supporting member
     Style: American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar Wong
    Clyde basically owned one section of the mat. While we were taking breaks and chatting, he was waiting for his next victim. We had no excuse (age, smoking, too much coffee, etc...he had us beat on all of them, and he still never quit). I gotta say I had a blast, even though I didn't get to roll or spar with everyone, and I was being schooled the whole time.

Omega showed us one of his patented leglocks (after he couldn't remember how to do the new ghetto leglock he wanted to show us) that I just couldn't get. I still gotta work on positioning, and he's got us rolling over people after the shot to take the heel hook. Then he showed us another much simpler one from inside someone's closed guard that was much easier to land. He also showed us the counter, and of course in true BJJ fashion, the counter to the counter. I was partnered up with Te no Kage during that part.

Then I got to roll with BeatdownRitchie, who just let me waste all my energy defending agaisnt either the upper or lower body while he did what he pleased when I wasn't paying attention. I was doing what I thought was a halfway decent job of preventing him from taking the mount when the next thing I know I'm tapping to the arm triangle. And man that figure four body lock is rough when you've got extra "padding" around the midsection. I couldn't breathe, and I ended up tapping to what I'm guessing was a setup for an actual submission (he had my left arm, but my left shoulder is a bit tender, so I had to tap from that, since he had my back, and I couldn't do much else...I figure he would have had a choke immediately afterwards anyway).

Then I moved on to some standup. Clyde hurt me. There's not much else to say :5paperbag He stood his ground and any distance I put between us to catch my breath and think, he was cutting with short stalking steps. I caught I side kick to the ribs early on (I think it's bruised or something...I'm still in pain), then he put a picture perfect side kick right into my face, which I promptly walked into. He's got some great control, because he placed his foot in my face instead of blasting me. Plus he knew I wasn't wearing a cup, so he pulled every groin shot (there were a few close calls, but I figured there was nothing I could have done anyway).

It was a lot of fun, and Omega sure does have a very energetic personality.

Thanks for the props there bud, sorry bout the ribs though Bro, I didn't think it was going in as hard as it was, and the fact that you were already tenderized with the grappling LOL. BTW, whoever has video of that sidekick to the head, I'd like to have that for my website, and for posterity. I usually never kick above the ribs cuz I love having my balls LOL.

I just wanted to prove to everyone that Kenpo (a TMA) is a good art to study if you've got the right instructor. What most people see as Kenpo is mediocre at best and I wanted to show American Kenpo how it's supposed to be from someone who's got the passion and the guts to stand out, but without the prevalent attitude most Kenpo people take. If you noticed, I didn't wear a full gi or belt, though I have many stripes on it, I've worked for everyone of them LOL. I'm probably the only 7th degree (or higher) in EPAK (Ed Parker's American Kenpo) that actually gets on the floor with anyone because I'm still in the learning phase as well, and I don't hide it. That leg lock Omega showed us from inside the guard is actually a Technique we use already from a standup position, but we use it on the arm. Now I have a new Technique that's call Locked Branch based off our technique called Locked Wing LOL.

I'm definitely sore today, those legs shots took their toll , nothing a few Advils and some coffee won't cure LOL.

BTW, if anyone comes down with a cold today or tomorrow I gave it to them, I started feeling the effects with the sneezing and coughing last night and it hit me in full this morning, I'll apologize now but I didn't even know I was coming down with anything until my nose kept running last night.

Thanks again for the good time guys, we need to get together again soon.

Clyde
    Last edited by Clyde; 1/16/2005 1:27pm at .
    Saving Kenpo souls one at a time!

Put down your purse!

Speed is fine, but accuracy is final. Wyatt Earp, 1888

"For certain 'tis a shameful spite, and dreadful to the heart,
    For an Irishman to see a fight, and not be taking part."

--"How McPherson Held the Floor"

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 1:30pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    how many of you showed up?
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I REALLY wish I could have made it.

Don't get to happy. Next big one I'M THERE. Then you bitches are mine!!!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Safe For Work

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Shaolin Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    BTW, whoever has video of that sidekick to the head, I'd like to have that for my website, and for posterity. I usually never kick above the ribs cuz I love having my balls LOL.
    I want that video as my avatar. Don't worry about the ribs, it's not that you were kicking too hard, it's that you timed my advance so well that I kind of ran right into it. But you're right, that body lock really sapped my strength :)

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde
    I just wanted to prove to everyone that Kenpo (a TMA) is a good art to study if you've got the right instructor.I'm definitely sore today, those legs shots took their toll , nothing a few Advils and some coffee won't cure LOL.
    I didn't know if I was going too hard on the legs...it was the only thing I could land on you. I think it was the only thing that any of us could land on you. I never had any doubts about Kenpo in the right hands, but now I have some experience to back that thought up as well.

PoleFighter,
    Not as many people as we all thought were going to show up. I would say about 12 - 15, but I'm probably off.

Asia,
    It would just be one more beating I would have to add on. It's not like I'm ever expecting to win yet, so I'll just have to make sure my medical insurance is all paid up.
    Jaguar's MMA record
    pre Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0
    post Kung Fu and BJJ: 0-0-0 (BOO YAA!!)

We're number one! All others are number two or lower.
    - The Sphinx (Mystery Men)

Marasmos

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm stitting here at work and don't have the time to do a proper writeup.

In any case, I had almost cancelled out on this event. Friday night I was stuck at work till 9 PM or so, and when I found out that I would need to be back here by 9 PM the next day, I was very tempted to say "**** it". But I didn't. I drove out in the evening, got there around 2 in the morning, woke up at nine, went to the throwdown, got my ass kicked, ate lunch, and drove back. That's dedication for you.

It was a great time.

And yes, Clyde, and his friend, who's name I don't remember unfortunately (I've always been terrible with names.) did show me Kenpo, as he promised (and schooled me thoroughly). I am impressed. Thank you.

Now, back to work.
    You say what about my rice?
Page 1 of 24 1 234511 ... LastLast