Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/14/2005 2:17am

supporting memberhall of fame
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The future of Judo

On many Judo websites, the future and survival, of my martial arts is a constant topic of discussion. Many seem to think that Judo is in serious decline, and in need of revitalization. Some seem to think that Olympic Judo is to blame or that the popularity of “reality” fighting is stealing our thunder. I see it in the popularity of my college MMA class vs. my Judo club. But Judo has many anti-bullshido qualities. You learn solid takedowns and groundwork; we have a governing body that regulates our members, and you cannot become a Black Belt without tournament experience. Also we are encouraged to go to tournaments, early and often, to prove that we are learning. So how and why is Judo failing to attract new members? What is the future of Judo? And how can the decline be reversed?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2005 2:31am

Style: Budokai, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I would like to see leg locks in judo, and more time spent fighting on the ground during competitions.

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    1/14/2005 2:38am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've just read tht Geoff Thompson called Judo the 'best kept secret in the martial arts'.

I'd do it if there was somewhere close to me. The future of judo is... I dunno. Better marketing.
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Host-Personal Defense TV

Posted On:
    1/14/2005 2:38am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The creation of "Submission and No-Gi Judo" will solve all your ills.

Oh, wait thats BJJ...um..nevermind.

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    1/14/2005 2:40am

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow big question, but I think that judo has to understand that it cannot react to success from other backgrounds. Over the years the rules elimnate skills which make non-judoka successfull. One of the things Kano did that made judo work was he borrowed from a lot of ju-jutsu sources and even here and there from wrestling. We cannot continue to remove traits that "are not judo," becasue eventually we will end up with something that is not judo.

The judo I learned is not Olympic and I have been lucky enough to practice other forms of grappling as well; ju-jutsu, Sombo in the Eastern block, Kosen judo with a university player that practiced in our club for a while, Mongolian folks wrestling, even a little freestyle here and there. All those things go into making me a better grappler.

I think the future of judo is in its past, we need to have a step back while we stay on course with the Olympic variety. Minor points and the short time limits kill the intent of ippon. Grip rules limit creativity with technique, and shorter and shorter ne-waza limits the sport. Judo no longer is a sport to win, but many of the tactics you see today are "not to loose."

There are a number of us non-olympic judo players out here and slowley we are joining together. Both types of judo can exist, but without the past we will become a shell of what it was.

This is just the tip of the ice-berg, I could go on and on. But I have heard it said by a number of judo-men with many more years on the mat than I have, that if Kano could see judo today he would be disapointed.

Look around the Kano Society, Okano's group, Zen Judo, there are more and more every year.

If you are in the Seattle area our dojo is planning on throwing a seminar/traditional rule judo/ tournament this year. It will be by invitation, we have drummed up some good fighters who are interested.

Aaron Fields
    www.seattle-jujutsu.org

Posted On:
    1/14/2005 3:01am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Olorinii
    So how and why is Judo failing to attract new members? What is the future of Judo? And how can the decline be reversed?
    You need more titties! "Judo Girls Gone Wild!" **** like dat.
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    1/14/2005 3:45am

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aaron: what's traditional rule judo?
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/14/2005 8:13am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm guessing: http://judoinfo.com/rules.htm

1. Each contestant shall wear coat and belt.

2. A contestant shall be deemed to have been defeated when his two shoulders and hips shall have touched the floor, provided that said contestant shall have reached this position on the floor through having been thrown down.

3. A contestant shall be deemed to have been defeated when in such position on the floor, if said combatant cannot free himself from his opponent's arms within two seconds' time.

4. A contestant shall be deemed to have been defeated when from any cause or causes he may become unconscious. But it is not permitted to use serious tricks when the wrestling bout is between friends. Such tricks as kicking and the breaking of arms, legs, and neck are barred.

5. A combatant shall be deemed to have been defeated when he has been reduced to submission through the employment by his opponent of any hold or trick.

6. When a defeated combatant finds himself obliged to acknowledge his submission, he must pat or hit the floor or his antagonist's body, or somewhere, with his hand or foot. This patting with foot or hand is to be regarded as a token of surrender.

7. When a defeated combatant pats or hits the floor, or anywhere, in token of submission, the victor must at once let go his hold.

8. It is understood and agreed that the Jiu-Jitsu man, whether he fights a boxer or contests with a wrestler, shall be allowed to use in his defense any of the tricks that belong to the art of Jiu-Jitsu.

9. It is further understood and agreed that the Jiu-Jitsu man assumes no responsibility for any injury or injuries caused by any act or thing done during the contest, and that the Jiu-Jitsu man shall be held free and blameless for any such ill effect or injury that may be received during the contest.

10. Two competent witnesses representing each side, or four in all, shall see to it that these articles of agreement are properly drawn, signed, and witnessed, to the end that neither contestant or other participant in the match shall have cause for action on any ground or grounds resulting from any injury or injuries, or death, caused during the contest.

To the Bat Pole!

Posted On:
    1/14/2005 8:39am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The future of judo?

Me.
    Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
    Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Posted On:
    1/14/2005 8:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo should change to "submission judo".
    You win a match when you sub someone, not by pin.
    Points is still a good thing, as long as they reward the more agressive fighter ( even from the guard).
    The time frame is ok.
    I have always had problem with the whole pin thing, you get a big enough judoka and size ( weight) will get the pin not technique.

Striking, thoug I would love to see it, well never happen.

But there should be a time limit for guard work, or else too many matches well go the distance and people will be turned off, and even the practitoners well be truned off eventually.
Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast