Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2005 5:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorinjikempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by omega
    I still have an idealistic problem with Shorinji Kempo and maybe you two can help me out with this. The whole idea of a pacifist focus in martial arts just rubs me the wrong way. My understanding of Shorinji Kempo is that it is more philosophy than a martial arts which makes me scream "cult!". What are your feelings on the matter?
    The philosophical side of Shorinjikempo is somthing that I actually like, because it promotes you to take the training outside the dojo into the real life. And it is my opinion that we donītīhave a pacifist focus as you wrote. The philosophy celarly states that we are to use what we learn if needed to in self defence or defending others. What we are not supposed to do is to use fighting for personal gain. The main reason with our philosphy is that strong independent "good" people makes a good world. And it is there Shorinjikempo comes in as an MA.

I dont feel like its anything like a cult, bacause the focus of our training is on the individual and to make improvments we train with others. So training between two kenshis is not about winning, its to help eachother to improve. And its not easy, especially to take away the "winning" part out of it.

At last I must say that the philosophical side isnīt such a big part of our training. Most of the theory we have to learn we learn ourself by reading books.

ps.
    Sorry if my english is bad!
    Last edited by Cato; 2/02/2005 6:00pm at .

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    2/02/2005 8:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BaguaMonk
    But some do. I could be wrong. It could be what it translates into in japanese..the characters can have alot of similarities. But I believe that the characters, when written, are very similar if not the same (for shaolin and Shorin, if you think about it, the sound is almost the same with a different accent).
    If it is being translated into Pine tree or old pine tree then it would be Kosho not Shorinji.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2012 5:07pm

Style: JuShinDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took shorinji kempo from two teachers in Idaho, one was a student club at a U in Burley from Nidan from Japan, and the other was from a sensei in Pocatello. The Pocatello school was somewhat modernized it seemed more for japanese style points tournaments. His training was awesome, stairs, jumping, medicine ball, etc. He did notteach keep"hands-up" like KK, since they did not allow head kicks, and the mawashi-geri was ball of the foot like wado-ryu. Effective, I would guess so, but somewhat stylized. A lot of the moves are similar/same as aikido, and would take more years to perfect and implement. For effectiveness, I prefer Judo and KB, but I've also used aikido in three "fights"to effectivelly avoid it going to "blood," which is the opposite of my years of KK. I'm currently working to add some aikido to my own style JuShinDo although it's hard to implement it effectively.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/15/2012 5:09pm

Style: JuShinDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blugularis View Post
    I took shorinji kempo from two teachers in Idaho, one was a student club at a U in Burley from Nidan from Japan, and the other was from a sensei in Pocatello. The Pocatello school was somewhat modernized it seemed more for japanese style points tournaments. His training was awesome, stairs, jumping, medicine ball, etc. He did notteach keep"hands-up" like KK, since they did not allow head kicks, and the mawashi-geri was ball of the foot like wado-ryu. Effective, I would guess so, but somewhat stylized. A lot of the moves are similar/same as aikido, and would take more years to perfect and implement. For effectiveness, I prefer Judo and KB, but I've also used aikido in three "fights"to effectivelly avoid it going to "blood," which is the opposite of my years of KK. I'm currently working to add some aikido to my own style JuShinDo although it's hard to implement it effectively.
    And I am currently looking for shorinji-kempo in the salt lake city area, folks can contact me through my website at www.abcslc.com

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    4/15/2012 8:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is this in MABS?
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/15/2012 9:02pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Look at the date.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2012 1:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blugularis View Post
    And I am currently looking for shorinji-kempo in the salt lake city area, folks can contact me through my website at www.abcslc.com
    well I hope that you really don't expect me to go to your website...

I don't think there is any in Utah. Yukio Kono (4thdan s-k) started a dojo in Logan, carried on by his student Gary Conners, who trained in Japan some, then got pissed when they changed techniques as he now calls his dojo Kyrin ryu or something as he split from s-k. Yukio dropped s-k and went to Kyokushinkai after he went back to Japan. The closest is probably http://wado-institute.com/ where Gary brings his students every year for their tourney (called affectionately The Blood Bath - the end of the bb elim gets really bloody sometimes).

But Gary does carry on with the Buddhist religious trad and meditation and some massage body work and stuff like that, that s-k does. And they and the wado train hard and fight hard - way harder than the usual karate crapola seen on the mainland.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    4/17/2012 1:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    What Freddy said without the bullshit Yamabushi said....

God dude, do you know what forum you're on?
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Look at the date.
    so why isn't it moved to trad arts karate or whatever it's called?
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/17/2012 4:00pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In 2006 that subforum did not exist. If you guys are too lazy to report a post, I am too lazy to move the thread.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456