Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2005 9:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have seen shorinji kempo training and have talked to a guy who did it in Japan for a short while. So far, what I have gathered is that their techniques are generic in approach and not flowery with wide circle actions, in fact it look rather bland from an observer's point. However, we all know that is a big plus to realistic fighting. The only thing is that I didn't get to see enough of it to say if it is comprehensive as MMA, but then again which TMA is.

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    1/15/2005 9:53pm

Style: fumoffu!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy
    Shorinji kempo in many ways is similar to hapkido. (similar but not the same). Both hapkido and shorinji kempo are derived from Daito-ryu aiki-jujitsu.
    Uh, wrong i think for the shorinji kempo part~~~ :read2:
    Shorinji kempo is said to be derived from Shaolin boxing,then added elements of karate and judo.Shaolin temple recognizes it as the Japanese version of its boxing.
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "
    - Uncyclopedia entry on Judo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2005 10:12pm

Style: Alien Cosmic Chi Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hence "Shorin" aka Shaolin or Pine forest. I studied with a friend for a bit in it, but in the actual original techniques that resemble the shaolin ones, its kind of missing alot, but in the throws and karate elements, its definitely superior (because it takes Shaolin techniques, of which there are too many) and condences it into one particularly effective "style"

But on second note, FORGET about kempo. Its all about the almighty supreme BBJ, NOTHING will EVER beat it. EVER.

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    1/15/2005 10:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can read Chinese,what makes you conclude that Shaolin=Pine forest?
    "People think that judo is only unarmed combat - but you are never unarmed when you can hit someone with a planet. "

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2005 10:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe that is its translation, Shaolin is actually a description of the area in which the kung fu was founded. Almost every name In Chinese means something, so when you translate, NOT romanize alot of the names it sometimes comes out sounding like "Little bear." Or Da Louhuan Chuan meaning Greater/big Monk/arhat Fist/Fist method.

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    1/15/2005 10:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Er,no~~~
    Shaolin is in Henan province,Dengfeng county.......
    Lots of names of Chinese temples have got nothing to do with their location btw.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2005 10:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But some do. I could be wrong. It could be what it translates into in japanese..the characters can have alot of similarities. But I believe that the characters, when written, are very similar if not the same (for shaolin and Shorin, if you think about it, the sound is almost the same with a different accent).

Bonta-kun

Posted On:
    1/15/2005 10:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes,according to Chinese belief Japanese pronounciation is derived from Fujian dialect~~~
    The kanji is the same for Shaolin and shorin,but "shao" as in "youth"/"little"~~~

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2005 10:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I'm pretty sure it means something beyond the Henan province. I believe in cantonese it was Siu Lum.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2005 11:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shaolin gets its name in two parts. 'Shao' comes from Shaoshan, one of the several mountain peaks of the Songshan mountains. On a clear day you can see the western parts of Songshan from Dengfeng. 'Lin' comes from the fact that there is a forest near the temple.

My opinion of Shorinjikenpo: Great if you want to study a TMA. Most of the practitioners that I've seen or met are in incredible shape. As to the origins, supposedly the founder studied various styles of CMA when he lived in China. As to how much ended up in the style nowadays I'd have new clue...stick a kung fu man in a karate dogi and it's gonna look a lot like karate.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast