Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 12:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it is the venue in which it was applied that makes it more impressive than it otherwise would be.

That and arm triangles aren't that common (at least in just grappling) as they're relatively easy to defend.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 12:28pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My instructor was teaching it as an arm triangle before Nog showcased it to the world. One of our kids, well...he is 16 now, began to use it as his trademark move.

About 6 months ago he was a yellowbelt. Never having competed before he took the kids division in gi. Too easy. So we entered him in the mens no-gi division. Now keep in mind he is a yellow belt. He went against a purple belt and tapped him with this move. It was so awesome. The purplebelt was obviously a wrestler. He shot in and took him down with the sweetest double legs ever. But he made a mistake in standing back up to get another shot. He got sprawled and our yellow put this move on so fast. The guy tried to fight it. But tapped. Good thing too because it would have sucked to be a full grown man purple belt being choked unconscious by a teenage yellowbelt.

In November at Grapplers Quest he used it again to win his division. We all knew he was going to do it. Which made it all the better.

Unfortunately the novelty has worn off. People are seeing it coming.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 12:43pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The straight armlock is easy to see coming too. Plenty of defenses for it as well.

Doesn't mean you can get away all the time though. Its all about the skill and speed of its application. Same with any technique.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 1:02pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're just jealous that Nog invented it.

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 1:29pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/HapKiDo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What amuses me is wrestlers love to say that stuff. "It's just a gator roll, no big deal." Yet you never see them pull it off in submission grappling tourney's or MMA events. And they always seem to get caught with those simple to avoid moves.
    Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 1:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not just a gator roll, because a standard gator roll doesn't end in a triangle choke. So you can quit with the, wrestlers have seen it all stuff. Everyone who rolls has seen what happens to straight wrestlers in submission events. Nice take down, but easy prey for subs.

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 2:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree in that it is not new, and Nog certainly did not invent it. But it's too easy to just write it off as a move everyone knows, but not everyone was doing it. It's very similiar in mechanics to a gator roll, as far as the turn over goes but the arm position and set up are different. In an anaconda choke you have to have the choke before the roll, gator rolls can be much looser.

http://www.virginiawrestling.com/mto...ngatorroll.jpg

Like that. His arms are no where near in position to choke. (There are not alot of pictures of gator rolls on the web you know. And half the links are some wacked out recipes for swamp food chefs.)

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 2:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do, and I certainly don't want you to think I don't respect wrestlers or wrestling technique. My favorite training partner is a former JUCO wrestler, and I have picked up alot of wrestling tricks from him to add to my tool box. I know that roll looked a little loose, but it was literally the only picture of one I could find online.

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 2:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably. In a funny side note, I tried that move on the wrestler I train with (who is also a purple in BJJ). Locked it and rolled and he just lay for a second while I tried to tighten the hold. Then he turned over took side mount then full and tapped me in about 15 seconds. Not exactly the result I was looking for.

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 4:25pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what i lik eis how Nog said he had a new move for the GP and the he hit herring and yokoi with it. thats what made it awesome nowhere did he say he invented it.
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast