Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't realise it made a difference. Should I raise it? Lower it?

Thanks for the advice koto.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 4:56pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An integral part of improving fitness is sustainability and progression.

You need a benchmark against which to measure changes.

A simple way to do this is incrementally adding weight from workout to workout.... IF POSSIBLE. "If possible" meaning if you can achieve the other requirements you've determined beforehand.

Example...

Lift X.

Pick a cadence (how fast you lift i.e. 4 seconds up, 4 seconds down).

Pick a rep/set scheme (i.e if I can achieve 10 reps in one set, while abiding by my cadence, and strictly adhering to good form then I add a little weight for next time).

Pick a frequency i.e. MWF

With all these variables in minds, it's so much easier to keep things simple. Your body is simply not going to react in romantic and fascinating ways just because you've spent your time in class day-dreaming about the "perfect" routine which hits every possible joint function (been there).

Then we have to see how things go and make certain changes along the way. Your body will change, thus your workout must change. That means, as you advance you will not be able to tolerate the same exercise volume and frequency of your earlier days.

Exercise is deceptively simple....in practice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 6:15pm

Style: Shen Ku master

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Flyes are garbage scrap them. **** this psuedo squat ****: clean, push press, lower into position behind your back, and squat for reps (if you have shoulder problems or feel any shoulder pain doing this, forget it and just front squat what you can clean), and dump the weight when you're done.

Crunches suck donkey nuts, learn to do situps: http://www.topendsports.com/testing/...abstrength.htm Pick a level you can do 3 x 10 of, then add a set or two each week. When you can do 5-7 sets of 10 re-assess your level and begin again. In fat, your core work in general blows, check out this article: http://www.t-mag.com/articles/205abs.html and consider standing cable crunches, seated cable crunches, russian twists on a decline board, gagne's cyclones, leg raises, dragon flags, and ab wheel rollouts (standing if you can do them) in addition to the exercises listed there.

Do a split, you're doing too much in one session. If you want two sessions I reccomend Deadlift (or variant) heavy, bench (or variant) heavy, Squat variant, pullup (sets of 8-12), and one ab/oblique exercisecore one day, Squat heavy, bench assist, deadlift variant, Row (bent over rows are a favorite of mine), one ab/oblique exercise on another day.

lastly strength development requires MORE WEIGHT AND LESS REPS... here, I'll make you a chart... prilepin's chart:

Intensity Reps per set Optimal Total Total Range
    Below 70%..........3-6...................24................ 18-30
    70-79% .............3-6...................18................. 12-24
    80-89% ..............2-4..................15................. 10-20
    90 and above.......1-2...................7...................4-10

Damnit.... I had this all beautifully crafted into an image, then when that failed I put it into HTML and neither can be used here... anyways, reading the chart is pretty simple. If you're using 85% of your max you should be doing enough sets of 2-4 reps to total 15. if however you can't make it that far, or can go further, between 10-20 is acceptable. The important thing is to push as hard as you can no matter what weight is on the bar. Below 70% is really for dynamic effort work, and I reccomend you stay at or above 80% for strength developement. Do not train to failure rest as long as you need to between sets (2 minutes is normal, 5 minutes isn't unheard of for max attempts, and 15 minutes has been known to work for some people, but it's rare).

Now you may want to check out my site, some (most) of the links in 101 don't work any more since t-mag reformated, but I'm gonna fix them some day, and the information is still all good. click this link to go to my fantastic site of wonders

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 6:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^Classic case of needlessly complicated.

... dynamic effort work,
    Whatever the **** THAT is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 7:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by keinhaar
    ^Classic case of needlessly complicated.
    I don't know what you're talking about. I suggested better exercises, and a better rep scheme. That's really it. it's not that complex. You look up the percentage you're using on the chart and BAM you know what the **** you're shooting for that day. And he now has a method of progress for situps (which are WAY better than crunches).

Whatever the **** THAT is.
    MY FUCKING GOD ARE YOU SERIOUS?! What the **** are you people learning over here?!

Ok, DE and ME (max effort) are terms coined by Westside barbell for use with conjugate periodization (which is really mostly for advanced lifters and most people can get by without considering it for years. Which is why I said to forget about it) basically you have an upper body and lower body DE and ME every week, which make for four days of lifting (bare in mind these are powerlifters not fighters so four days of lifting is really only the beginning of their training. I am not reccomending a westide split for other athletes here, just explaining my terms). On your ME day you go for a 1-3 rep max on a key exericse's variant (hence max effort). A variant might by box squats, board presses, rack pulls, etc. then you do some repetition work to add some volume. On your DE days, you are doing main lifts (bench dead and squat) with around 60% of your max explosively. this keeps your CNS fresh with the exercise without over taxing it. That's the theory anyways, meanwhile you can continue to do more than 90% on you ME days for 3 weeks per exercise and without burning out because now you can rotate your ME exercise as often ass you need to.

Conjugate periodization is very useful for athletes once they've gotten beyond simpler methods (which normally takes a couple years, but cand take a decade or more depending on the individual).

So I guess, long story short: DE = explosive movements with light weights.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 7:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What the **** are you people learning over here?!
    How to avoid the nebulous.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 7:38pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How to avoid the nebulous.
    RUN AWAY!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 9:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's nebulous.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 9:42pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with Keinhaar here.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 11:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master
    I'm with Keinhaar here.
    Running from the nebulous entity?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast