Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 3:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was there always groundwork in kempo schools?

Do they/have they/can they compete in grappling tournaments with this kempo grappling?

Kempo Instructor

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 3:32am

Style: Shorin Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is groundwork in our style. You will hear that Chin Na is the grandfather of grappling blah, blah... To prove that is near impossible, I'm sure cavemen were doing some form of the grappel. The same control techniques used on your feet can also be used on the ground through some imagination, creativity and through evolution of the style. I am not here to say Kempo is the best or better than BJJ or any style, we have huge gaping holes in our form just as any style does if put under enough scrutiny. I am only here to say that a good Kempo school will have it's fair share of groundwork. It has been proven that you need to know how to roll. If the system is like 90% of other Kempo styles it is outdated and believes it's own propaganda. Kempo needs groundwork and a solid style will have it. That's my point.

Kempo Instructor

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 3:38am

Style: Shorin Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a flakey wireless connection if I drop out, no offense.

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 8:37am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kempo doesn't need groundwork; the fighter does.

game dog

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 9:57am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read somewhere on here that Jiu Jitsu essentially comes from Kempo, is that right? If so, why take BJJ and not just Kempo??
    Even if it were correct, it's a total non sequitur. You could say that modern PCs "essentially come from" 8086 processor machines, but there's little reason to prefer one of those over a Pentium IV.
    It's what you get NOW that's important. Not where it comes from, not what it will be in a hundred years.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)
  6. KhorneliusPraxx

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 10:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm speechless...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 12:41pm

Style: kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brandeissansoo
    going to a kempo school for groundwork is retarded.
    Wouldn't that depend on the particular school? My primary style is kempo, but at least 1/3 of my class time is spent learning and practicing BJJ.

If all you seek is groundwork, you're absolutley correct.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 1:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's differentiate between Kempo as in American Kenpo or Kajukenbo, more of less stand up arts (with some ground) that were created recently (in historic terms), and Kempo traditions that are ancient from Japan. And to add to the confusion, Kenpo Jui Jitsu is what Mitose called his style (before calling it Kosho Shorei Ryu Kempo) and that's led to all sorts of odd names.

Oh, and to make it worse, the local American Kenpo school here (Parker lineage), has, like many schools, styles, and systems in the last ten years, added full contact mma sparring and teaches ground. So many teachers who were standup are cross training BJJ or having BJJ or JJ or other ground people help teach that you really have to look at the school's curiculum. (like both the "karate/kempo" schools in Logan I attend, one's instructor is an ex-wrestler, also belted in Judo and the other one also teaches JJ).
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 1/12/2005 1:22pm at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Dorkus Malorkus

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 1:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/BJJudo/Crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is Kenpo/Kempo really? I've tried looking up on the internet, and I've found 15 different origins. The one I've found most consistently is, Indians, from India, brought it to Chinese royalty. But really what is it?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 1:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Su Kow
    There is groundwork in our style. You will hear that Chin Na is the grandfather of grappling blah, blah... To prove that is near impossible,
    The first documented system of fighting/grappling came from Africa. Ancient Egyptians carved a grappling manual on the walls of Beni Hasan 3000 bc.
    "The next one I will take will pay for my loss. Someone has to pay!" ~ The Axe Murderer
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast