Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Titan

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 8:25am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Side/Front kicks are good when you want to push someone away or into something, but they won't drop anyone. Unless it's hard in the balls, but for some people that's a small target :)

----------------------------------------------------------
    The story of a woman on the morning of a war,
    Remind me if you will exactly what we're fighting for.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 9:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Side/Front kicks are good when you want to push someone away or into something, but they won't drop anyone. Unless it's hard in the balls, but for some people that's a small target :)"

I think the knee, shin, inside and outside on the thigh are also effective targets with these kicks.
  3. DRD

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 9:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asia, you are not the only target of the new tough guy southern justice. He is planning a visit to my house for a drive by looksee over the weekend.
    I have replied to his private mail, and also want to tell him here that he need not wait till the weekend, he is welcome to come to class tonight at 6:00. I will provide directions either in private mail or regular e-mail. Just write again and ask.
    You may join in anyway you care to.If you don't come till the weekend, be sure to knock on the door. As I said in the private mail, you will be received in exactly the manner you conduct yourself. Your call.

BTW, if you are for real and want to deal with your problem with me, give out your real name. You have mine.

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 9:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Blade, the sidekick it the most powerful kick the body can throw and has greater penetrating power than roundhouse." not at all, you;re very rarely ever going to KO someone, or wind someone with a sidekick compared with the roundhouse:
    That's why in K1 etc. they throw mainly roudnhouses, and lots of them get KOs or serverly wind their opponent (look at E.Hoost and "CroCop" for example.)

I agree SLJ: when you want to push them away.

Look at Kyokushin Asian: Their main kick is often the roundhouse kick (at least in the tornement clips I've seen, and in K1 events) it's the most used kick, with the odd side/front and flashy kick thrown for more of a suprize factor.

The Sidekick is given far too much credit sometimes, when in actual fact it isn't going to work properly most of the time, and when it does you just can't generate the force to maake it really hurt someone.
    Can you hurt some with a sidekick? Of course, but it's unlikely, and the person would have to be standing still practically..

With kicks you;re only really going to be throwing roundhouses with some push kicks, but that's it.

Edited by - blade windu on February 20 2003 08:13:31
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Titan

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 9:26am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sidekicks can be more powerful, as long as you put all your weight into it. If you just pussyfoot it Taekwondo style it won't do anything.

----------------------------------------------------------
    The story of a woman on the morning of a war,
    Remind me if you will exactly what we're fighting for.
    "You realise the transformations give a man enough strength to destroy a truck with his bare hands!?
    YOU HAVE BETRAYED ME, IN THE WORST POSSIBLE MANNER!!" - KiWarrior

"Sport ? That kind of thing's not my bag baby!" - Sammy Franco

"This system was developed with the help of notible BJJ fighter Ribbon Muchado." - "Sifu" Anthony Iglesias

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 9:43am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. SLJ and Blade, while there is a push type of kick that pushes opponents away the front snap to the groin or chin or solar plexus is not of this type. There is a difference between a front thrust kick (mae geri kekomi ) and snap or rising kick(mae geri keage), “Unlike the Rising Front Kick, the Thrusting Front Kick should have no rise in the foot movement. “It must chamber higher and driven straight forward making contact with the ball (or flat) of the foot.(1) And “the sidekick is the most powerful kick the body can throw and has greater penetrating power than (the) roundhouse”(2) There is a big difference between side snap kick (yoko geri) and side thrust kick (yoko kekomi geri). I think the side snap looks cool but I only use a rising side thrust hitting the bag or opponents. One can side kick high with out any warm up by tilting the upper body a little to the side and bent to the front-we were taught to twist the hips away from the target in order to reduce back and hip strain. This makes it look a little more like a back kick. If you doubt the power of the side kick go to a decent Japanese dojo. The full contact Kyokushin tournaments are often won with a single side kick.

1.Dunamis Karate .
    2. Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai February 20 2003 : 07:00:01

"Without traditional kata, you have no martial art, merely boxing." Tamotsu

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 9:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol yeah i know, but it'll rarely do anything, but not "more powerful" than a roundhouse kick.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Taking a break

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 10:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm no great kicker, having lost most of my flexibility many years ago, but as far as I can tell, roundhouse kicks are good for KO's and hence great in competition, but you'll see a lot of them thrown without much effect. A good sidekick is a destruction, and hence not good for competition, as it's not good form to end another persons career.
    In short, a roundhouse might cause a KO, a proper sidekick WILL severly damage what it makes contact with.
    All this is strictly IMHO, as I no longer do kicks.
    Taking responsibility for my actions since 1989

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 10:17am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kick to the balls is good

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/20/2003 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (This thread went on while I made breakfast for the family and wrote it on Word-kid got yelled at enuf to load it last nite!)

SLJ: on sidekick,
    "If you just pussyfoot it Taekwondo style it won't do anything." Again, this depends on the school. When my Kyokushin wasn't available I worked out for six months with a Chung Do Kwan Taekwondo dojang and got I hit by their teacher with a fast forward foot snap side kick to the floating ribs repeatedly and it hurt.

The Kyokushin IKO tournaments I referred to were in the 80's and we watched clips of the champion putting all these people into the strecher to take to the ambulance (Ozuma?) using a fast sliding side kick.

>>>Always walk on a bright, wide road. If you choose to live with your right posture, you don't have to go on a dark road or a malodorous place. Oyama
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast