Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 3:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Separated Rib....

I got a separated rib last night in class during a grappling drill. I felt something pop near my sternum but finished class only to have it pop 2-3 more times during a hard roll. The doctor says it will take anywhere from 3-6 weeks to heal and it's very painful to lift things, sit, or take deep breaths.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Do you have any advice on getting this to heal?

Thanks.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by katana
    I got a separated rib last night in class during a grappling drill. I felt something pop near my sternum but finished class only to have it pop 2-3 more times during a hard roll. The doctor says it will take anywhere from 3-6 weeks to heal and it's very painful to lift things, sit, or take deep breaths.

Has anyone else ever experienced this? Do you have any advice on getting this to heal?

Thanks.
    Just take it easy, keep taped up, and don't hang around the friends that can make you laugh too easily :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 3:44pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had this or something similar happen to me; apparently it's a common football injury as well. Took a few weeks to heal, and it still twinges sometimes. Take it easy and don't do anything that hurts. And stay away from 270 pound people who like to do harai makikomi, because then you're looking at a few more weeks.

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 3:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, its not that uncommon.
    Rest.
    MA aren't going anywhere, they will still be there when you are all healed.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 6:05pm

Style: Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All rib injuries just blow. I fractured a rib years ago playing basketball (a little asian guy lowered his shoulder and plowed full speed into me) and it's just a real crappy injury. It hurts to breathe, it hurts to laugh, it hurts to move, you can't work out, just complete suck all around.

My advice is just to relax and let it heal.

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 7:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. I finally recovered from an ankle injury and went right into this. It's been a bad four months and starting out to be a bad year. Sigh.

Too sick and broken to train

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 1:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, but the good news is that after it is "healed" is will continue to do a nifty pop thing when you move just right, or at least mine does, but it was from a horse. It's my COOL noise.

Sorry to hear that though, dude. Injuries are the suck.
    You're just JEALOUS!

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 5:20pm

Style: Knife-jitsu o=]==>

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Can Chaser
    Oh, but the good news is that after it is "healed" is will continue to do a nifty pop thing when you move just right, or at least mine does, but it was from a horse. It's my COOL noise.

Sorry to hear that though, dude. Injuries are the suck.
    You fall off or get kicked?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 5:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Separated ribs suck, and there doesn't seem to much that you can do to strengthen these lousy intercostal muscles. The only thing I found that helped was something PizDoff suggested, reverse dumbell presses (pull ups) while hanging upside down. I know they sound stupid, but its one of the few things that you can do where you're contracting your muscles against an already expanded rib cage, that seemed to help, a little.

Capitalist Pig

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 1:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j416to
    Separated ribs suck, and there doesn't seem to much that you can do to strengthen these lousy intercostal muscles. The only thing I found that helped was something PizDoff suggested, reverse dumbell presses (pull ups) while hanging upside down. I know they sound stupid, but its one of the few things that you can do where you're contracting your muscles against an already expanded rib cage, that seemed to help, a little.
    Interesting. I'll pull out my copy of Gray's Anatomy and check out the how this is all connected. I think I understand what you're talking about (hanging upside down???). My plan to this point is to rebuild my ab, back, and chest strength to lend more support to my torso so it doesn't repeat. It's feeling a lot better now, but yeah it does pop especially when sitting up from a lying down position.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast