233591 Bullies, 3568 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 11
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. katana is offline

    Capitalist Pig

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,368

    Posted On:
    1/11/2005 3:33pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Separated Rib....

    I got a separated rib last night in class during a grappling drill. I felt something pop near my sternum but finished class only to have it pop 2-3 more times during a hard roll. The doctor says it will take anywhere from 3-6 weeks to heal and it's very painful to lift things, sit, or take deep breaths.

    Has anyone else ever experienced this? Do you have any advice on getting this to heal?

    Thanks.
  2. VikingPower is offline
    VikingPower's Avatar

    Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    4,993

    Posted On:
    1/11/2005 3:39pm

    supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by katana
    I got a separated rib last night in class during a grappling drill. I felt something pop near my sternum but finished class only to have it pop 2-3 more times during a hard roll. The doctor says it will take anywhere from 3-6 weeks to heal and it's very painful to lift things, sit, or take deep breaths.

    Has anyone else ever experienced this? Do you have any advice on getting this to heal?

    Thanks.
    Just take it easy, keep taped up, and don't hang around the friends that can make you laugh too easily :)
  3. JohnnyFive is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    657

    Posted On:
    1/11/2005 3:44pm


     Style: Judo/BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Had this or something similar happen to me; apparently it's a common football injury as well. Took a few weeks to heal, and it still twinges sometimes. Take it easy and don't do anything that hurts. And stay away from 270 pound people who like to do harai makikomi, because then you're looking at a few more weeks.
  4. Ronin is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    20,894

    Posted On:
    1/11/2005 3:46pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, its not that uncommon.
    Rest.
    MA aren't going anywhere, they will still be there when you are all healed.
  5. Renn is offline
    Renn's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    far away from you
    Posts
    620

    Posted On:
    1/11/2005 6:05pm


     Style: Inactive

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All rib injuries just blow. I fractured a rib years ago playing basketball (a little asian guy lowered his shoulder and plowed full speed into me) and it's just a real crappy injury. It hurts to breathe, it hurts to laugh, it hurts to move, you can't work out, just complete suck all around.

    My advice is just to relax and let it heal.
  6. katana is offline

    Capitalist Pig

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,368

    Posted On:
    1/11/2005 7:04pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys. I finally recovered from an ankle injury and went right into this. It's been a bad four months and starting out to be a bad year. Sigh.
  7. Can Chaser is offline
    Can Chaser's Avatar

    Too sick and broken to train

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    609

    Posted On:
    1/12/2005 1:55pm

    supporting member
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, but the good news is that after it is "healed" is will continue to do a nifty pop thing when you move just right, or at least mine does, but it was from a horse. It's my COOL noise.


    Sorry to hear that though, dude. Injuries are the suck.
    You're just JEALOUS!
  8. Reikon is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,004

    Posted On:
    1/12/2005 5:20pm


     Style: Knife-jitsu o=]==>

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Can Chaser
    Oh, but the good news is that after it is "healed" is will continue to do a nifty pop thing when you move just right, or at least mine does, but it was from a horse. It's my COOL noise.


    Sorry to hear that though, dude. Injuries are the suck.
    You fall off or get kicked?
  9. j416to is offline

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,242

    Posted On:
    1/12/2005 5:36pm

    supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Separated ribs suck, and there doesn't seem to much that you can do to strengthen these lousy intercostal muscles. The only thing I found that helped was something PizDoff suggested, reverse dumbell presses (pull ups) while hanging upside down. I know they sound stupid, but its one of the few things that you can do where you're contracting your muscles against an already expanded rib cage, that seemed to help, a little.
  10. katana is offline

    Capitalist Pig

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,368

    Posted On:
    1/16/2005 1:01am

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ, no-gi, boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j416to
    Separated ribs suck, and there doesn't seem to much that you can do to strengthen these lousy intercostal muscles. The only thing I found that helped was something PizDoff suggested, reverse dumbell presses (pull ups) while hanging upside down. I know they sound stupid, but its one of the few things that you can do where you're contracting your muscles against an already expanded rib cage, that seemed to help, a little.
    Interesting. I'll pull out my copy of Gray's Anatomy and check out the how this is all connected. I think I understand what you're talking about (hanging upside down???). My plan to this point is to rebuild my ab, back, and chest strength to lend more support to my torso so it doesn't repeat. It's feeling a lot better now, but yeah it does pop especially when sitting up from a lying down position.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.