Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 1:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training while ill.

I am atlking about the flu or a really bad cold that doesn't allow you the breath properly and saps your strength.

Should you train, yes or no?
    If yes, what type ? Cardio, ST ?
    If no, why?

Muchos Gracies !

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 1:14pm

supporting memberBullshido Newbie
     Style: Wu Style TCC + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a bad idea. At the height of an illness, you should rest. I don't think that anyone will tell you anything different.

For me, if I am coming down with something or recovering from an illness, I will do some light movement and avoid anything that increases my heart rate more than 15 or 20%. Other than that, it just depends on how I feel.

I don't think it's an issue of cardio over strength training or anything like that. The only question is how much energy your immune system needs to fully combat whatever you've got and whether you're "stealing" that energy to do other things.

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 1:25pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Light exercise for 20 minutes can stimulate bloodflow and immune response and facilitate healing. Active recovery (such as walking or cycling at a very light pace) can help the body recover more quickly following a workout, and is sometimes suggested rather than "total rest" because of this reason.

But we're talking really light here, like jogging 4mph or cycling 10mph or something.

Anaerobic training, even when you're fully healthy, can temporarily depress your immune response for hours following a workout. So that eliminates most weightlifting and high-intensity cardio.

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 1:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, thought so.
    Thanks guys, may buddha bless you with a silky smooth handjob from Tammy, the naughty nurse.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 1:37pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If I'm sick, I spend most of my time practicing my "watching tv fu." If my nose is really stuffed up, I'll do a few movements slowly for 10 or 15 minutes and that usually opens up my airways. I wouldn't reccomend anything more than that, though. Hard training when you're sick will just make it worse.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 1:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find that any congestion I have releases and I feel better during the workout. But that's only after I'm already recovering.

Also, if you are doing any close quarter drills with someone else, it's a bad idea. Giving someone else your cold isn't cool.

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 1:54pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by samurai_steve
    Light exercise for 20 minutes can stimulate bloodflow and immune response and facilitate healing. Active recovery (such as walking or cycling at a very light pace) can help the body recover more quickly following a workout, and is sometimes suggested rather than "total rest" because of this reason.

But we're talking really light here, like jogging 4mph or cycling 10mph or something.

Anaerobic training, even when you're fully healthy, can temporarily depress your immune response for hours following a workout. So that eliminates most weightlifting and high-intensity cardio.
    I believe I agree, though I'm rusty on this knowledge.

Long-distance running is horrible for your immune system, your body breaks down and destroys the white blood cells first for energy. That explained while I tended to get sick after distance running when I was young.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

10th level Superlesson Grandmaster

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 1:57pm

Style: Currently Inactive

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, if it means going to class and infecting others.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 2:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    also you dont want to start passing your illness to all your training partners.

game dog

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 2:32pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard of people contracting heart-valve infections and dying because they overexerted themselves during a cold, does anyone have more info on that?
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast