Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 3:35pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do BJJ three times a week as well. If I can convince *someone* to not start from their damn knees, I'll be able to practice them there as well. Also, the judo club only offers one night a week for total beginners (strange, I know).
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Harai-goshi was my major throw when I was training for Judo competition last year.

-If you miss inside, go for Uchi-mata. If that fails, turn around FAST and execute Ouchi-gari.
    -A good setup is to fake the Osoto-gari to make the guy push forward, then spin quickly to your Harai.
    -If you miss outside, plant the ball of your foot on the ground and execute Tai-otoshi.

If you trust your open guard, purposely fail a Tomoe-nage and pull them in for the armlock. I say "fail" because that's how you get away with it in Judo.
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 1/11/2005 3:50pm at .

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 3:56pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah.

You can 'fail' a throw in a lot of ways. I don't buy into that whole, well if you do correct - no can defend, Mr Miyagi bullshit.

Your entry might be timed as your opponent begins a technique and you both crash to the mat. You may hit it perfectly but the guy is just too heavy and you execute, but land on bottom in a bad spot. You might execute perfectly and then get perfectly countered. A lot of ways to fail.

But when modifying Judo for BJJ you have to realize there CAN be much more dire consequences if you 'fail' a technique. Turning your back for an entry has a much higher risk than a simple footsweep.

I am not in ANY way bashing Judo. I am just saying that there are things you try to stay away from when using Judo in BJJ. I would also like to point out that most of the best BJJ players are also competent Judoka.

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 4:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Example: Dave Camarillo.

I stand by Uchi-mata as a good throw for BJJ competition because having the leg in the middle lets you keep halfguard if he reverses it. In my first tourney I went for it and the guy somehow countered the throw so I landed on the bottom, but that halfguard let me get back to full guard and triangle the guy after I set him up with the ugliest collar choke attack ever.

One of Seattle's Bravest

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 4:36pm

Style: Cambo/jujutsu/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find throws and takedowns that work for you and get good at them. Whatever they may be work the transition from the take-dwon to the ground work so that it is smooth. Fight your fight.

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 6:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been successful with tani-otoshi. It also doesn't put you in a bad position if you fail.

I agree with AFS that you definately need to work on dominating the grips first too, then your throws will be much easier to get.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 6:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to clarify: I'm not really expecting to become dominant in the clinch.. it's just that I get no stand up at all at my current school. I've seen a grand total of one (1) take-down in my four months there (which was neither a single nor double leg. I had to get one of the blues to show me that one after class), and I've sparred from standing maybe three times. I did judo for three years when I was a kid, and was fairly good at it (I got a silver medal in my club tournament after winning three matches and losing to a kid two years older than me. Still the greatest MA accomplishment of my life). I'm praying to god that judo is like riding a bike.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Chemist

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 10:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what everybody else said.....

I'e been told that you only really need a few throws to be successful, ie a hip throw, a sweep, a reap, a sacrafice, etc, etc

I'd say learn a few basics and then start working them into combo's, just like in BJJ where you learn to combo the armbar to omoplata for a setup, the same can go for throws

See this thread here on throwing combo's

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18737
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Judo Instructor

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 1:23am

supporting member
     Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pole Fighter -
    One important thing is that you need to decide what to train at what time.
    Obviously your BJJ club is limited with what they have to offer with regards to takedowns etc.
    The once a week judo course will not get you very far soon.
    Can't you join their other training times? You should be experienced enough.
    Secondly - why don't you talk to the coach in the BJJ club? If you can tell us about that problem, why not him?

I have always trained in different clubs when I lived in Europe. If that meant that I had to drive for 3 hours each way to get to another club in a different town, than it had to be done.
    I pissed the occasional coach off with that attitude, who feared I would not respect them or something. ( Worse of course are club politics - " if you train with club x or coach Y than you should't train here" -)
    I competed at the swedish open in 1993 or 1994 in Lund. It looked to me like the would be plenty of clubs and players around at that time.

Final piece of advice : don't mention medals you won in kids tournaments.

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 2:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AFS
    Final piece of advice : don't mention medals you won in kids tournaments.
    So you think I should maybe remove it from my resumé?

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast