Posted On:
    1/11/2005 1:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How does this sound?

Upper body:

Benchpress 2/3 my weight (more eventually)
    Pushups
    General upperbody calisthenics
    Neck strengthening

Lower body:
    Squats with a Swiss ball
    Lunges against the wall
    General lower body calisthenics
    Bridges

Result:

More strength
    Better proprioception (spatial perception)

Then:

Find a judoka who is familiar with Lebellian grappling who is situated where I live.
    Last edited by Toby Christensen; 1/11/2005 1:33am at .
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 4:45am

Style: Shen Ku master

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds terrible. no deadlifts, what's with the squats witha swiss ball? no real posterior chain work (besides squats), no core work, yup, sounds terrible to me. how often are you intending to do this? What I would do if you're interested in building both endurance in and strength in the weight room is split it up between two full body days.
    Day 1 (Strength):
    bench
    deadlift
    lunges
    saxon side bends
    pullup

Day 2 (endurance):
    Dips or diamond pushups for reps
    Squats or lower body calistenics
    Hypers or revers hypers for reps
    Situps
    Seated rows for reps

Week 2:
    Day 1 (endurance) -
    Pushups (any variant will work, either regular or hindu, or diamond, or whatever)
    Hypers or reverse hypers
    lunge or lunge variant (bodyweight)
    Situps
    Pullups

Day 2 (Strength) -
    Dips
    Squats
    Stiff legged Deadlift
    Ab wheel Rollouts
    Bent over rows

Get it? Personally I've always advocated that most people just forget about endurance in the weight room and gain the endurance through SPP and GPP for their sport. So if you're doing burpee intervals (and other GPP) and doing a lot of rolling (and other SPP) you'll get all the endurance you should need and can focus on strength and power in the weight room (which would look more like a ME and DE westside Split)

Also, there is another way to attack endurance. High sets and low reps, however this can stack on a lot of volume for a neopyte lifter and lead to overtraining if you're not careful. doing 20 sets of 1 rep, 15 sets of 2 reps, or 12 sets of 3 reps with 10, 20, and 30 seconds rest between sets respectively can be very demanding on your endurance (think circuit training without the disgrace of circuits) and allow you to use more significant weights.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 6:57pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your speaking privileges have been revoked Urban. If you ever say the words "Ab wheel rollouts" or "side bends" in a thread I read again, I'll flip out and kill your village.

Also, especially for people who are working on their movements patterns and/or have range of motion limitations (which I believe Angry Spastic does.... some kind of disability, right?), then swiss ball squats are EXCELLENT.

One thing AS, can you be more specific on your routine, such as exactly what General upper and lower body calisthenics are?
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Founder/GrandSensei of Joint British / Papua New Guinean Non-contact Lawn Bowls Jiu Jitsu Committee

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 7:03pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Listening to you guys talk about routines is like listening to the cast from Queer Eye discuss cheese and wine.

"Ab wheel rollouts are SO last year"

"Oh I know! And I'll tell you what, it's not only my deadlifts that are stiff! Titter titter!"

"Oooh you are bad!"

"I know!"
    Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
    Scramble Stuff

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 7:28pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I mean by general upper and lower body calisthenics is windmilling the arms etc. and miscellaneous stretches, nothing specific. Same with lower body. I just adapt Qi Gong training from when I used to do it (after all, Qi Gong is just calisthenics)
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 10:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master
    Your speaking privileges have been revoked Urban. If you ever say the words "Ab wheel rollouts" or "side bends" in a thread I read again, I'll flip out and kill your village.
    Luckily I have no village. Look, I dunno what you're beef with rollouts and SAXON side bends is, but they're both great exercises for your core. I dunno anything about spastic's disabilities cause he didn't mention them, so I reccomended an appropriate routine based on what I saw.

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 10:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Saxon bends seem good for body building, but I'm interested in strength, especially upper body.

P.S. TaeBo Master, " calisthenics" can be defined as " gymnastic exercises to increase strength and ease of movement"
    What am I?:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 11:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Spastic
    Saxon bends seem good for body building, but I'm interested in strength, especially upper body.
    I'LL BE GOD DAMNED IF I CAN FIND A SILLIER SENTENCE THAN THAT! SWEET MERRCIFUL CHRIST WAS THAT INCORRECT IN ALL OF IT'S IMPLICATIONS. First, look at the author, not the site. Second, read the article: "A strong set of abs is arguably the cornerstone of all athletic functions"

"Sorry, but there are no shortcuts to great abs. If you want them, you need to develop core torso power that'll improve performance in every element of your day-to-day life, not to mention improve athletic performance."

"Now, if all you want is the look of a hard midsection, fine. Combine this style of training with the right dietary habits and you'll get the look you're after. But as a nice side effect, you'll also develop a functional, injury proofing set of abs to go along with that "look.""

I'm not going to continue to pull quotes out of the article because, well... Why bother. He Says three times in just those quotes that the exercises are for function, then he talks about how to get a six pack: SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH WHEN YOU'RE AT THE TABLE (sure he says it in a more civil manner, something about dietary habits) and spends the whole article talking about strength training not bodybuilding or dieting to get your abs to show. How you can confuse this with bodybuilding, I have no Idea.

Third, the article was published during the old T-Mag. And frankly the old t-mag is better than the new t-mag bodybuilding thinktank garbage. The archives and atomic dog are really the only things worth your time on that site any more. The eight keys to strength are on there (dave tate is NOT a bodybuilder), numerous articles by john davies (kinda fadish guy, but he's a strength coach for football teams, not a bodybuilder), chad waterbury, and numerous other STRENGTH ATHLETES.

So maybe you should do a little more research before you fucking throw out a phenomenal core exercise like saxon side bends. How about full contact twists, or any of the other exercises on there, are THEY strictly bodybuilding exercises?

ok, one more quote for the road: "Now when I say "basic," I should probably note that these lifts were popular when lifting had a more direct carryover to real world needs. Tiny waists borne of starvation did nothing if you had to bale hay or lift heavy objects."

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 1:09am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for putting words in my mouth Urban. I never said that those exercises were bodybuilding exercises. And I DEFINITELY never said that core strength wasn't important. Core strength is absolutely the most important aspect of strength training. My beef is twofold.

1) Those PARTICULAR exercises are NOT as functional as they would seem. Combine that with the fact that ab rolling exercises have a significant risk of lower back injury, and there are dozens of core exercises I would choose over ab rolling and side bends.

2) There's a LOT more to the core than just the abs. The Rectus Abdominis (external ab muscle) and the external obliques are the most visible muscles, true. But as far as core strength and power production, they're probably also the least important core muscles.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 2:01am

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by supercrap
    Listening to you guys talk about routines is like listening to the cast from Queer Eye discuss cheese and wine.

Watch a lot of that, do ya? ;)