Page 22 of 40 FirstFirst ... 121819202122 2324252632 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 9:04am

Style: wingy chingy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by afronaut
    You've made your own gangland role-playing game, haven't you. You have character sheets for your own gang in a binder on your desk that work on all night in a Coke and Hot Pocket-fueled binge that upsets your mom to no end.

Why do you break your mother's heart, bowers?

Hey, what if he's correct? I was reading a novel a few weaks back called The Slum by Aluisio Azevedo about tenement life in Brazil in the 1880s. In one scene a crowd of toughs from a rival housing project are attacking the slum where the protagonists live in revenge for the killing of their friend. The cool part was that the attackers were all caepoeira players and were trying to **** people up caepoeira-style. I have no idea whether that description resembled anything that happened back then(the book was published in 1890), but it was still a pretty cool scene.

It would be cool in a way to think that street thugs in the USA are using martial arts to actually beat the crap out of each other, as opposed to learning martial arts for fun or whatever. Somehow I think they've moved on to guns, though. :)
    As one of Ip Man's grandstudents said once, "A bullet will go right through the centerline."
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 9:11am

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BatRonin
    And deep down that is the problem with WC and many other arts, they DON'T standardised the training !
    Sure the curriclum may be spelled out BUT the training methodologies are left to the instructors and what do you get?
    Some schools spar, other don't, some do this and that, other don't.
    Sure they all "do wing chun", but the vast differences in training make it seem liek many do a totally different system !

Take Boxing, or wrestling, or BJJ or kyokushin, these systems are know as much for their trainign AS they are for their techniques, so what do you get ? a pretty consistent standard for ALL schools.

Maybe there is a lesson there.
    Hear hear!

The problem is one that covers most non-sport MAs. By non-sport I mean those that don't have a sport associated with them in some way. I dont know for sure with kyokushin (I assume they have competitions) but for boxing, wrestling, BJJ, Judo etc... because of the sport aspect there is a strong core of technique that is taught everywhere. This is one of the great strengths of having a sport-aspect to a martial art.

WC suffers from this more because of the 'secrecy' of the martial culture surrounding it... this allows people to become self-appointed masters and teach very introductory techniques as if they were the be-all-and-end-all of WC, and then cater for the 'light-recreational martial artist' market.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 9:15am

supporting member
     Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by grond
    Hey, what if he's correct? I was reading a novel a few weaks back called The Slum by Aluisio Azevedo about tenement life in Brazil in the 1880s. In one scene a crowd of toughs from a rival housing project are attacking the slum where the protagonists live in revenge for the killing of their friend. The cool part was that the attackers were all caepoeira players and were trying to **** people up caepoeira-style. I have no idea whether that description resembled anything that happened back then(the book was published in 1890), but it was still a pretty cool scene.

It would be cool in a way to think that street thugs in the USA are using martial arts to actually beat the crap out of each other, as opposed to learning martial arts for fun or whatever. Somehow I think they've moved on to guns, though. :)
    As one of Ip Man's grandstudents said once, "A bullet will go right through the centerline."
    Or what if gangs in t3h str33t settled things with a big dance contest like in the "Bad" video or "West Side Story"? That'd be cool. Right?

:sad3:
    I dork harder than any of you can imagine.

- Hedgehoney

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 9:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then gang members would have to study ballet instead of wing chun or jkd. Not as cool. :)
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 9:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I aint punchy!?
    WC suffers from this more because of the 'secrecy' of the martial culture surrounding it... this allows people to become self-appointed masters and teach very introductory techniques as if they were the be-all-and-end-all of WC, and then cater for the 'light-recreational martial artist' market.
    True dat.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 9:31am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gangs always used weapons. Guns just be more available than in previous years. MA for the most part was looked down upon. A brick to the head was much better than learning chop sockey!
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 9:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EVIL ASIA
    Gangs always used weapons. Guns just be more available than in previous years. MA for the most part was looked down upon. A brick to the head was much better than learning chop sockey!
    Do you mean that gangs never used martial arts? What gangs are you talking about, in what countries and what time periods?

I see your point though; it's easy to romanticize the idea of people using martial arts a la kung fu movies to defeat each other without weapons. However, I'm sure that in some places and times martial arts were used extensively to do just that. Why else are they around?

"Guns just be more available than in previous years."-??
    Last edited by grond; 7/19/2005 9:41am at .

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 9:48am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you mean that gangs never used martial arts? What gangs are you talking about, in what countries and what time periods?

I see your point though; it's easy to romanticize the idea of people using martial arts a la kung fu movies to defeat each other without weapons. However, I'm sure that in some places and times martial arts were used extensively to do just that. Why else are they around?

I was speaking of the US. But I know in Japan gangsters (from street punks to Yakuza) did train in MA but during fights bats, sticks, swords, etc came into play and was perferred over unarmed fighting.

In the US during the 70s guys did get into MA, mainly because of Blaxplotation movies were the king pimp busts out his SLICK KARATE, however the hardcore OGs were not trying to act like Bruce Lee and would stick you with a stick with a switchblade or a chain. I know I've been told many times, "That KarateKungFu Bullsheet don't me **** on the street!"

It a lot easier to get a gun now than it was 2 decades ago. And they are cheaper.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 9:55am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I meant your grammar. :)

True, if somebody pulled a knife on me I wouldn't try to fight them, if it was just for my wallet or watch etc.

Posted On:
    7/19/2005 10:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I meant your grammar. :)
    heh I didn't even notice it. I type fast and don't really check what I wrote. I'm lazy and have relied on SPELL & GRAMMAR CHECK too long. :icon_cry:
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh