Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 9:22am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think the Clif/Luna bars have much in the way of protein, though. I mean, they taste really really good, but they're not awesome nutritionally-wise.

I find that if I consume a lot of protein I start getting the protein farts, so I'm not sure if it's the shake or the bar or whatever; I've had it after eating a ton of cashews. I'm trying Beano to stop them, because protein farts are ... nasty. (I've also been told that they signal when you're getting the maximum amount of protein you can digest).

Also, I don't mean to bash on AllTheWhey's protein shake; it's actually not bad if you can mix it long enough, but I'm too lazy to mix it all the way, so it's all lumpy and stuff. I just gulp that one down without breathing.

mostly just stubborn

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 9:28am

supporting member
     Style: MT, GJJ, Blue Glaser

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyFive
    I don't think the Clif/Luna bars have much in the way of protein, though. I mean, they taste really really good, but they're not awesome nutritionally-wise.
    In my opinion, Clif bars are excellent energy bars. They are good for sustained energy but they don't really have enough protein to aid in the repair of muscle tissue. They are good for before a workout, but not after a workout.
    Success is the child of audacity. - Benjamin Disraeli

inform yourself you super martial artists of my butt - Netsky the Ninja

You fight like Norwegians, ya fairies! - Russell Crowe on "Fightin Round the World"

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 10:04am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheStanMan
    In my opinion, Clif bars are excellent energy bars. They are good for sustained energy but they don't really have enough protein to aid in the repair of muscle tissue. They are good for before a workout, but not after a workout.
    Muscles need carbs AFTER the workout to fuel the process to repair muscle. I've seen several sources that say Clif Bars are the best post-workout food because they have a 4-1 ratio of carbs to protein, which is considered optimal.

Other studies have shown that protein shakes are more effective in building muscle if consumed BEFORE working out. This also goes for protein-rich foods like turkey sandwich, but that takes much longer to digest if you don't have much time before working out.

If you're getting your 1g of protein or so per lb of bodyweight (so, 165g for me, which comes out to 660 cal on a 2600 calorie diet or so), you're meeting your protein needs, including for athletic purposes.

===

As for GNC, I buy so few things that when you factor in shipping, I pay more online than at GNC with the Gold Card. Especially the energy bars. Those are usually on sale on top of the 20% Gold Card discount. In my circumstances, it works out better.

===

I get protein farts too and they're fucking AWFUL. I thought it was the GNC powder I was using, but when I switched to Designer Protein, I had the same issues, and figured it was overconsumption.

[This space for rent]

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 10:09am

supporting member
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just fart regardless, I really don't know why. Thank god the sound of people hitting the heavy bags or skipping rope masks it.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 10:14am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CC- You could always eat your horse. :-P. Alot of bars lack protein and therefore are for endurance activities. They have Leucine & Valine amino acids, but no protein. They're metabolized quickly for energy and that's it as Stan said.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123