Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 7:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Options to pulling guard

So after 3 months of doctor appointed time off, I'm back and just started training again (yay).

My question regarding guard has more to do with my size vs a particular sized individual.

When I do submission stuff or roll with the local University Judo club I always run into this problem....very short stocky guys (under 5'9" or so) give me a terrible problem. The problem isn't if we start standing up, but starting from the knees only.

I'm 6'6" and for the life of me when starting from the knees against short stocky people I just get totally owned if I don't pull guard right away. Now while it does provide a wonderful opportunity to work on replacing guard and such...against the head instructor (while wearing gi's) I can't do crap. If I pull guard we usually end up drawing, if I try and take him down from the knees I end up in a terrible position that causes me to lose about 1/2 the time.

For all you "experts" out there, what is the best way for a very tall person to effectively start on their knees with a short, stocky opponent and be able to gain a superior position? And remember, if you don't give me any advice, I'm going to continue to piss of the Judo guys and pull guard all the time...freakin gi's ;)

Thanks,

Gringo Grande
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 8:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paging Beatdown Richie

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 8:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Firstly, you need to have good base and posture. So keep both of your knees on the floor (you should start with one knee up if you want to pull guard), and your butt on your heels. Keep your arms in close to your body (think Tyrannasaurus Rex). A lot of people reach out like zombies and try to throw their opponent which opens them up to double and single leg attacks from the knees, duck-unders and snap-downs. It also means that if you do this against someone stronger then you'll lose. Now get in close so your forehead is close to theirs. Use your right hand to quickly push their head to the side and drive your head into the left side of their neck. Re-align your body so your spine is straight (so you're now off on maybe a 15 degree angle). Their spine should be bent and yours straight. Your right hand grabs their pants at the knee, your left hand grabs their right elbow and you drive into them putting them on their back. Keep your head in contact with them and you should end up past their guard.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 8:28pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Use an outer reap from the knees. Modified OsotoGari If it fails go straight to the armbar.

If you are looking for takedowns from the knees go wrestling all the way. Head and arm variations work good. Armdrags. Etc.

Jumping to guard isnt always the worst idea, but it does make for bad habits. If you are going to pull guard go offense instantly. For example, when you pull guard, put one foot on the knee and kick it out immediately as you roll back, that will pull them toward you. Underhook with the other leg and lift. Now sweep to that side you kicked. Or perhaps use your extreme hieght advantage to reach over to his belt as you pull guard and give him the ole heave ho over the top, if he resists, go to butterfly sitting up and take him backwards.

Its my opinion that people that get stuck in the guard have a SQUEEEZE mentality. That is to say, they use a lot of closed guard and refuse to open up and let it all hang out. If you get guard and dont want a stalemate you gotta go for it. Sit up, overhooks, underhooks, butterfly guard, spiderguard, X guard, dela riva, etc. Dont just sit there and squeeze for all your worth hoping to god he doesn't pass.

As you get better, half guard is THE ****. Pulling guard kinda sucks because at the lower and upper levels of grappling its going to be a long, boring kinda match. Usually ending up in a stalemate. Halfguard however is fucking owny~. SOOO much stuff you can do from there. Pulling half guard is still sorta bitchy compared with getting a takedown, but is way better than just pulling guard.

Ninjer Pile on Me! Hurr!

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 10:31am

supporting member
     Style: Bad KB, Worse MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First of all thanks for the replies...all of it looks awesome from a no gi perspective. I suppose I should narrow this down a bit, but with teh Judo guys there is no touching the face or pulling the head or any of that stuff...supposedly it is against the rules of sport Judo...hence the puzzled expression on a guys face when I pulled a gogoplata on him.

So narrowing it down a bit, wearing a gi, working in Judo with no touching the face or pulling on the back of the head, what options are available to me?

Thanks for all the previous advice...as always, excellenct.

Gringo Grande
    MMA Record vs Llamas 0-1-0
    (The Llama bit my junk but the ref didn't see it).

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 10:32am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Aesopian.com 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pull the triangle.

I'm only half joking when I say this.

Honestly though, I have nothing for this discussion.

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To pull the head down in judo reach round grab the gi at the back of the neck and pull down like normal. If they (stupidly)try to duck under this just pull their gi right to the ground and look for an opening while they're blinded.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 10:49am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *shrug*

All of my stuff was gi technique...

game dog

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 11:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Yrkoon said.

You can get some judo-like "throws" to work. Outer reaps work, try adapting ko soto gake with a lot of turning action. Getting underhooks is probably hard for you, but if you manage, uki goshi is an option.

Arm drags work well; if you're fast, you can go straight to the other guy's back, if you mess up, you get half-guard.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 11:18am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's judoka starting from the knees in bjj class.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast