Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 2:23pm

Style: Run-Awaydo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

A humble plea for help

Hi there, I'd like to ask you all for some advice. I'm a 30 year old 375 pounder in truly awful physical shape. I want to remedy that situation and possibly get into martial arts as well.

My liabilities are as follows: I'm weak and have very little muscle mass. My stamina is practically nil. I also have a bad back, neck, and knee. The bad back is due mainly to my physical weakness and my extreme weight. Carrying around the equivalent of full-term triplets is no fun, I must say. I'm not sure why my neck is bad, but I suffer chronic pain in it. My knee is bad because I tore the anterior cruciate ligament when I was 17. I had it reconstructed, of course, but that sort of injury never truly allows the knee to return to 100%.

My assets are as follows: I have access to a Schwinn Airdyne, a Nordictrack, and a treadmill with variable speed and incline settings. I have a supportive environment to exercise in and live with people who aren't likely to bring me down. Most importantly, I'm sick to tears of being a damned fat-ass. I WANT to change. I need to change. If I don't, I'll be lucky to see 40.

My main goals are as follows: I want to gain muscle mass and regain the stamina I had in my youth. I've always been a bit pudgy, but at one time I had stamina to burn. I want that back. Shaving off the weight is secondary to those two goals. I'd also like to learn some form of martial arts. I'm a grappler and wrestler by nature with little instinct for kicking and striking, although I do have a mean backfist.

What sort of advice can you all provide? Thank you in advance.

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 2:30pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First person you should ask about any of this is your doctor. I'm sure plenty of people here have tips, but only he/she will know the full extent of your limitations.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 2:31pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah.

Other than that: CARDIO.
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry to say this...

But you have to change your lifestyle. Adding some exercise isn't going to do it.

I suggest you take a hammer and smash your television. I am not kidding you. That one act of sacrifice will probably improve the quality of your life 500%.

Then go to your fridge and pantry and throw everything out. Go to the store and buy 10 gallons of water. Now carefully construct a diet. Read up on what you want to do and what you are WILLING to do.

Because of your weight and health problems I would look up a GOOD doctor and get their advice on how to proceed with an excersize program. Forget martial arts for now. Working on conditioning and getting healthy.

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 2:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, you are pretty banged up to start serious training in an MA right now. You take off the weight, and you'll probably find your knee, neck, and back problems will be dramatically reduced, if not totally gone. Get on a diet and exercise program, add MA when you feel up to it.

Just my opinion.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 2:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go on a low-carb diet. I understand those are quite popular these days.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 3:52pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like Phrost said, go see a doctor to determine what you are able or unable to do.

Meanwhile, you can have a gander at my diet thread (link found in my sig) and see what you can take from that. Start eating well, and totally eliminate cheat meals from your diet.

Boyd - Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    Yeah.

Other than that: CARDIO.
    Haha.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do I get + rep? Because I should.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Marasmos

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 4:23pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Talk to your doctor. If your doctor's not an expert in regaining fitness from your currnet state, find an expert. Basically, a lot of things that would be good advice to most people may be harmful to you, and it's extremely important that you're supervised by a professional.

I would assume that in the initial stages of your program diet is going to be much moreimportant than exscersise, but I'm not an expert so take that with a big grain of salt.

And yes, you will have to think about the lifestyle choices that led to to the way you are now and make sure they go away.
    You say what about my rice?

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 4:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to stay away from amateur medical advice and go with smash the TV.

That was a good one and probably will indirectly help a lot....unless you have a broadband internet connection....
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast