Posted On:
    1/12/2005 9:09am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    Just a side note here Phorst.

I recently got my hands on this book which outlines the training regime for proffessioanl boxers. Now out side the boxing gym they basically do alot of running.

Inside the gym they do skipping,bag work,pad work and lots of sparring. Anyway the bulk of their resistance training seems mainly to consist of pushup,situps,dips that sort of stuff. I mean there is a bit of weight training used but not much. The only weight training one of them did was say bench press 50kg 30 times and a bit of dumbell work.

I'm not trolling but the point I'm trying to make was that the impression I got from that book was pro boxers don't do ALOT of weight training. Endurance seems to be what they are after.

Funny, you claim to have boxed before. I guess reading a book counts as training, eh Hannibal?

Seeker of Knowledge

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 9:22am

supporting member
     Style: Chen Style Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    Endurance seems to be what they are after.

This can also be gained from weight training... you just do a program that conditions for endurance and not one geared (excuse pun here) for bodybuilding etc...

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 9:22am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are still, even to this day, coaches that are against weight training in boxing.
    As silly as that sounds.
    Though the vast majority have come to the realisation of how indespensible ST is.

One Ambulance, Eleven Cops...

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 9:47am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBreakerKF
    So basically I need to prove that a martial artist who conditions his/her body and makes use of weight training is more able than a martial artist who doesn't.
    No problem, here's some evidence: http://www.bullshido.net/modules.php...linkinfo&id=44

What else do you need?
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shumagorath
    Funny, you claim to have boxed before. I guess reading a book counts as training, eh Hannibal?
    Maybe he and his brother are hardcore cage fighter wannabes and fight bare-handed all the time like Napoleon and Kip :happy:

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    1/29/2005 3:19am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shumagorath, yes I have bxed before. This is just a book I was flicking through. SPeaking of boxing, maybe YOU should try it. Judging by your stand up footage you need the practice.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    1/29/2005 5:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Koto_Ryu
    Three times a week and less than an hour a session is perfect (well, its also good for anyone building functional strength).
    Thatīs what works for me, and thatīs what my instructor recommends for people into MA.

Anyway, Iīve read somewhere that five to six days a week routines can be counterproductive, due to the needed time to recover.

And more on-topic, Iguess that you must do weights with care if you need to stay in a certain weight division, maybe thatīs why weightlifting is ill-adviced by some coaches.

A side note here. My instructor onece told me that he liked to stop weighlifting about a week or two before a fight. He told me that this way he maybe lost a little punch power, but felt lighter and faster.

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/29/2005 6:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lights Out
    Thatīs what works for me, and thatīs what my instructor recommends for people into MA.

Anyway, Iīve read somewhere that five to six days a week routines can be counterproductive, due to the needed time to recover.
    The only people that can pull off working out 5-6 days a week intensely are either those using a lot of supplements or very advanced lifters who are only training on two or three lifts tops, usually with singles or low reps.

And more on-topic, Iguess that you must do weights with care if you need to stay in a certain weight division, maybe thatīs why weightlifting is ill-adviced by some coaches.
    That's pretty true as well, probably the only boxers that do a lot of lifting are heavyweights aside from the lower weight classers which might need those few extra pounds.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12