Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 2:12pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

School Project

So basically I need to prove that a martial artist who conditions his/her body and makes use of weight training is more able than a martial artist who doesn't.

I need to be able to cite the information and all that bullshit. I know in the past there were many traditional martial artists who believed weight training would slow hand speed. Anyone know where I can find and cite these claims?

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 2:40pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're going to have to define "able" first. Do you want to use tournament results? Medals won? Punching strength? What?
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 3:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read anything about Billy Blanks, he used to belive that too until he began weight training. He'd be a good start.

"Technique without conditioning is like an empty gun."

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 3:46pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Start referencing other sports, and see how many top level athletes don't weight train.

Posted On:
    1/10/2005 5:35pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hell, reference Boxing, Kickboxing, and Wrestling (the most popular extensions of martial arts) and see if you can find anything that's anti-weight training.

Also, google this quote (I forget who it's by... Gene Lebell?) "Conditioning is the greatest hold".

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 8:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just a side note here Phorst.

I recently got my hands on this book which outlines the training regime for proffessioanl boxers. Now out side the boxing gym they basically do alot of running.

Inside the gym they do skipping,bag work,pad work and lots of sparring. Anyway the bulk of their resistance training seems mainly to consist of pushup,situps,dips that sort of stuff. I mean there is a bit of weight training used but not much. The only weight training one of them did was say bench press 50kg 30 times and a bit of dumbell work.

I'm not trolling but the point I'm trying to make was that the impression I got from that book was pro boxers don't do ALOT of weight training. Endurance seems to be what they are after.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 8:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    I'm not trolling but the point I'm trying to make was that the impression I got from that book was pro boxers don't do ALOT of weight training. Endurance seems to be what they are after.
    The majority of them do actually. Foreman is well-known for being an avid weightlifter, and even back in the day a lot of boxers lifted to get stronger. Gentleman Jim Corbett added a lot of muscle onto his frame (using dynamic tension exercises much like Pavel's routines) before he fought Charlie Mitchell in 1893 through weight training. Look at Tyson, Lennox Lewis, Roy Jones Jr. ALL of them lift weights.

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 8:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal
    Take a look at the release year, I think it may be a little old. iīve read a book by a ex-pro boxer on boxing conditioning, it didnīt pay too much attention on weights, and the weight training advice was everything but good.

The author boxing career took place in the 60īs or so.

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 11:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rocky Marciano was an avid weight trainer too, he wrote a book actually that is an awesome read for conditioning for boxing, including weight training itself. They do quite a bit, they just don't spend hours in the gym doing bodybuilder-type style workouts. Three times a week and less than an hour a session is perfect (well, its also good for anyone building functional strength).

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    1/11/2005 11:43pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One thing about those boxing gyms, and boxing training manuals, that I've observed: A lot of them were geared toward people without a lot of equipment. Many of the gyms didn't have budgets or space for wieghtrooms and bagrooms and lockerrooms and rings. We've got a lot of things now that people didn't...it seems like a no-brainer, but it has a lot of ripples....
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast