Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 11:09am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lots of Questions

1) What is isometrics? I've been hearing it around lately and I've tried searching the forums but it doesn't really describe in detail what it is, could you guys give me a website for this?

2) What is calisthenics? I've searched this on the forums as well and still don't fully know what it is. I searched it on google and got some ballet or gymnastic school or whatever.

3) I've been doing bodyweight exercises for a long time now but I've also bought a dumb bell set and I heard that weight training has a negative effect on body weight training and vice versa, what is a good way of training in which I can incorporate both of weight training and bodyweight training? Also What are some good websites for dumb bell exercises?

edit: and my goal is to aim for power, muscular endurance and speed.
    Last edited by dodger87; 1/09/2005 11:29am at .

Yes Koto got his name changed, quit asking...

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 1:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=dodger87]1) What is isometrics? I've been hearing it around lately and I've tried searching the forums but it doesn't really describe in detail what it is, could you guys give me a website for this?

Taken from the Internet:

"Isometric Exercises:

By definition, isometric exercises are those in which a force is applied to a resistant object. Many programs that involve muscle strength training incorporate isometric exercises. A typical example is pushing against a brick wall. There is no actual movement here, but tension builds up in the muscles. Exercising muscles against a resistant increases its strength. Also, we must maintain a position in any one exercise for between 6 to 8 seconds. The exercise should then be repeated about 5 to 10 times, each time ensuring maximum muscular contraction. Isometric exercises are not recommended for those with heart disease or high blood pressure. This is because isometric exercises cause the highest rise in blood pressure. Any one isometric exercise only increases muscle strength at one joint angle. To strengthen the other joint positions, we need to repeat corresponding exercises. Isometric exercises must form a part of a complete exercise program and is not recommended on its own for strength training."

2) What is calisthenics? I've searched this on the forums as well and still don't fully know what it is. I searched it on google and got some ballet or gymnastic school or whatever.
    Calisthenics are simply exercises done with your own bodyweight. Pushups, pullups, deep knee bends, jumping jacks, and situps are all considered to be calisthenics.

3) I've been doing bodyweight exercises for a long time now but I've also bought a dumb bell set and I heard that weight training has a negative effect on body weight training and vice versa, what is a good way of training in which I can incorporate both of weight training and bodyweight training? Also What are some good websites for dumb bell exercises?
    First off, not true at all. I do some form of calisthenics every day, combined with weight training and have never had any trouble at all. Just don't do either of them to extreme failure you'll be fine.