224562 Bullies, 3263 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Under what context do you PRIMARILY use cross-facing?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Defensively--to inhibit the other guy's aggression

44 25.73%
  • Only to force a reaction from the other guy.

48 28.07%
  • I'm a complete fucking tool that crossfaces at every given opportunity

45 26.32%
  • I don't cross face.

26 15.20%
  • Other

8 4.68%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 5:44pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess it's just the place that I train, but we generally don't take exception to cross faces, fists in throat, or smothers when rolling. So much so that a key component of the lockflow drill one of our guys was required to create for his black belt involves a forearm across the throat from top mount to break the bottom guy's grip before going to an overhook crucifix type move.

...which I was 'privilaged' enough to be the guinea pig for yesterday. If it's just pain without causing injury, it can only make you tougher. IMO there's no better time to do it than in the Dojo, so you're ready for it when it happens in the ring or on the street.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use it as an aggressive action to set up other moves. Wasn't really an option, so I chose number 3.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 5:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's just pain without causing injury, it can only make you tougher.
    I agree, but if it isn't making the other guy move or gaining anything, it's just for the sake of inflicting pain, so I think the only thing the person's learning is that his sparring partner is a Sadist. Basically, if it's for a useful purpose, fine, but if it's not doing anything, move onto something else instead of just grinding it in, because it'll only make the sparring environment less friendly.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 6:19pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will never get into that whole 'do it in the dojo so you are ready for the street' thing. I can bend your fingers backwards when rolling, bite you, ram my thumbs knuckle deep into your eyes. It isn't neccessary that you experience those things or that I practice them to be ready for the street. In fact the whole concept of 'teh street' is grossly exagerated into some kind of mythical fantasy that is twisted into whatever scenario you chose to enjoy.

But its the whole mentality of using pain instead of technique that I generally avoid. It would be the same thing if we were boxing and I started to grind my laces into your face in the clinch. Its unneccesary and in many cases considered disrespectfull. You see what I am saying here? Its the concept more than the activity.

Yes, crossfacing is a neccessary and productive manuever. But there are limits. And those limits are flexible. Like I said earlier, there are times I will kneeride your fucking head, but there are also times I won't touch your face. In training I see no reason to crossface with my forearm to force a submission. Some guys do see that neccessity, but IMHO it usually due to lack of technique that devolves into brute force. I have seen someones nose broken in about .2 seconds of a crossface in training when someone couldnt score an instant RNC. It was completely unneccessary and disrespectfull, because it was training. Had it been competition and legal under the rules, no problem.

***ned

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 6:30pm

supporting member
     Style: i

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I could knee you in the groin, then while you're curled up in the fetal position I could take your back. But it's not bullshit because it works?

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 6:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yrkoon is right...some things are just not necessary while training, unless you are training for competition or "the street" and your sparring partner knows that.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 6:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We did it every day in wrestling and I still do it today when grappling. In fact, I did it this morning to turn my opponent so I could take his back. It has nothing to do with being a dirty un-respectful move. It is a very valid technique that can be used both offensively and defensivly. I won't arbitrarily do it just to inflict pain but I do it when it's required. If people can't hang with this type of training then they should do Tai Chi or some ****.
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 6:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the only reason I would ever train, for fun. If I'm not having fun, it's not worth doing, and crossfaces aren't any fun. Another reason would be exercise.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 6:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by I Choke You
    Yrkoon is right...some things are just not necessary while training, unless you are training for competition or "the street" and your sparring partner knows that.
    WTF? :eusa_eh:
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 6:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Red- Did you guys use the same definition of crossfacing as we did? The only crossfacing to me is striking me with the palm/forearm The rest is just grappling. I don't whine about it either if it happens, I get even and make them submit screaming.
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast