223596 Bullies, 4136 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

View Poll Results: Under what context do you PRIMARILY use cross-facing?

Voters
171. You may not vote on this poll
  • Defensively--to inhibit the other guy's aggression

44 25.73%
  • Only to force a reaction from the other guy.

48 28.07%
  • I'm a complete fucking tool that crossfaces at every given opportunity

45 26.32%
  • I don't cross face.

26 15.20%
  • Other

8 4.68%
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    3/24/2006 3:19am

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I pity the fool who does not have the cross-face crank in his life.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 3:01pm

Style: MT, Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To answer the question, no, I don't crossface, and I ask that crossfacing not be done to me when I roll.

I used to get crossfaced all the time, in fact, I think it can be a useful technique, but then I got braces, and we were rolling in class one time and I got crossfaced to the tune of 8 stitches on the inside of my mouth. I didn't get mad at my training partner, I think he just A) didn't know I had braces because I have those clear ones and some new people don't notice or B) wasn't thinking about it when he did it. I come to these conclusions because the guy was EXTREMELY apologetic to me afterwards and offered to pay my doc bill. It wasn't his fault, it's par for the course. He and I just weren't thinking about it, and before I realized, it was too late.

I don't think crossfacing is bad per se, but I do think some ex-wrestlers rely on it too heavily in place of technique. Alot of ex-wrestlers try to crossface me when they're in my guard, doesn't bother me at all and people in competition do it all the time so I figured I'd better get used to it. Then my mouth got shredded and I realized I needed to draw the line. it's the same with face cranks. I ask that they not be done, but if someone does it anyway, I just tap. I've had a bloodblister roughly the side of a half-dollar on the inside of my mouth before from a section of skin getting pinched between my brackets. Yeah, braces suck.

Anyway, I think it's a slippery slope as someone mentioned earlier. It's like someone digging their elbow into your thigh when they pass your guard. It can be helpful in the right situation, and sometimes it's good to use, but it shouldn't be a technique you rely on. It's one of those "salty dog" grappling tricks you pull out that works a couple of times when the guy isn't expecting it, but keep using it and you're bound to get armbarred and/or your back taken.

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 3:07pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you thought about getting a mouth guard to keep your braces from ripping into your mouth?
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    4/11/2006 3:08pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wear a mouthguard when you spar. Knothead.

Edit: Damn it GB. Must I always be too slow?
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2006 1:40am

Style: MT, Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garbanzo Bean
    Have you thought about getting a mouth guard to keep your braces from ripping into your mouth?
    Yeah, I did, I actually asked my orthodontist about it and he said I'm probably better off without it. He said slow steady pressure could actually bend my teeth all kinds of bad ways, and mouthgards are good for sudden impacts, a la kickboxing, but if someone really cranked down on my face it could bend the teeth the braces are supposed to be moving.

I had a custom mouthguard before, and my dentist pretty much said I'd be better off without it. i don't know if this is true, and I considered a second opinion, but I took it on faith and I really haven't had many problems besides those first couple of incidents.

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 6:16am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, I mean, you've slept with a lady?
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 4/17/2006 10:53am at .
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Posted On:
    4/15/2006 6:19am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuma-Gorath
    Yes.

what's it like?
    Last edited by Shuma-Gorath; 4/17/2006 10:53am at .
    Optional signature you may use to appear at bottom of your signatures.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 1:48pm

Style: Basic Self-Defence

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My mouthguard makes me want to gag, orrible.

How long should I use it before I get used to it ??

And, seeing as I really do NOT want to ue it, how many teeth should I lose before I grudgingly accept it ??

Maybe I can train my lips to be extra-tough instead ... clench clench.

Posted On:
    4/18/2006 1:55pm

Style: Gracie Barra Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    until all your teeth are gone except your two top front teeth, and then everyone starts calling you "bugs" at the gym
    Eduardo "Why'd you stop."

Me "I was kicked in the head by the guys sparring next to me."

Eduardo "Ino what happened but i didnt say you could stop."

Me "Um.. I guess I keep going."

Eduardo "You dont stop until i say stop, you dont get tired until i say your tired, keep going."

Originally posted by Ralek
    My cousin gave me some tapes of him doing tkd. I learned from those tapes. When I beat up an Akido instructor, and made him take rest breaks, I used TKD. I learned Bjj from watching ufc and pride and then I copied them and wrestled my cousin for practice. I choked him out and he tapped.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/02/2006 1:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where cross-face means "turn the guys head by pushing his chin", I do it for defence against takedowns, to make space, to hold the pin etc. If I'm going for the RNC and the guy tucks his chin, then I'll switch to a neck crank. I've never really tried to use nose and jaw crushers.

If we are talking about grinding down on the guy's face/jaw then I don't do that, but only because I don't like to rely on pain compliance (except for subs, lol) as it's so variable.

The way I see it, cross-facing is something that can be practised regularly without inflicting damage, and so I don't have a problem with it.
    Each kind of technique needs to be applied with managed force, and an extreme anything is bad, be it a cross-face or an armbar - or even a choke.

If you really don't like somebody doing something like a cross-face, then just ask them not to, lol. Just because it offends you doesn't mean that everybody sees it that way.

Personally, I like it when somebody tries to out-power me with something like that - you need to know how to deal with it. If somebody wants to do a jaw crusher on me, then fine - just as long as they give me chance to tap. But people doing techniques too hard is a different issue entirely as to whether or not cross-facing is acceptable.

Frowning upon things is bullshit. Either it's allowed or it's not, and anything within the club rules should go - provided it's done in a controlled manner.
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 41011121314 15 LastLast