Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    1/14/2005 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shumagorath
    So.... the biting was entirely superfluous?

I wouldn't think so. Without the biting, there's really no reason for the attacker to try to move the head, is there?

I've got to sign off and probably won't be back on until tomorrow evening, if anyone wants to continue the thread in this vein.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/15/2005 12:06am

supporting member
     Style: Firearms, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RedElvis
    WTF? OK I just gotta ask this... at what point in the FMA's is biting a useful technique? I have honestly never heard of that **** in the FMA's. Hawkeye or Poidog... care to weigh in on this?

:viking:
    Actually I have heard of this in some FMA called Kino Mutai. I read it in a Vunak book or something. I think some kinds of Kun Tao have those kind of techniques too. To tell ya the truth, I don't really have an opinion on the subject since I've never done Kun Tao or the Kino Mutai/Vunak stuff.
    "We spoke to them in the only language they understood: the machine gun"

Posted On:
    1/15/2005 12:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyBadger
    I wouldn't think so. Without the biting, there's really no reason for the attacker to try to move the head, is there?
    It depends how you move the head. If someone bites me I can just turn my fingers inward and hook them into the eyes. I sink my weight in, then we hit the ground with my fingers in your eyes and my elbows forming a base around your head. You won't be biting and then I can just sink the fingers in or start punching again.

Again, I'm only saying this because I've been bitten on the chest and it was not a smart thing for the guy on the bottom to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wastrel
    I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Da Komrads... Again you are MadPelvisOwn3d!

Posted On:
    1/15/2005 1:48am

supporting member
     Style: Spetsnaz Shovel-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kino Mutai... Well, I'll be damned! You learn something new every day. This might make for a good thread.

Edit: This has been discussed to death already. No thread needed. Must add biting to my grappling game! BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

:toothy10:

Note: I will say this though... there is still a difference between biting on the ground and knowing how to grapple and biting on the ground. I wouldn't consider biting as an end all by ANY means! Learning to escape the mount w/out resorting to the D34dly Bit3 is still important. But, that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by Red Elvis; 1/15/2005 2:00am at .
    :icon_twis

To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence;
    Supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without spilling your Guinness.
    Sun "Fu Man JhooJits" Tzu, the Art of War & Guinness

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 10:17am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye
    Actually I have heard of this in some FMA called Kino Mutai. I read it in a Vunak book or something. I think some kinds of Kun Tao have those kind of techniques too. To tell ya the truth, I don't really have an opinion on the subject since I've never done Kun Tao or the Kino Mutai/Vunak stuff.
    Yup, same way I heard of it. No real experience with it, but I always thought the biting was geared more to face, extremities targets, i.e. nose, ear, lip, nipple, and stuff like that. I don't train it, but have met some people who do. They wholeheartedly admit it's last ditch, "****-it-I-got-nothing-else-to-lose" tactics, and I may be wrong, but to me that's kind of what it sounded like HoneyBadger was trying to say.
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/16/2005 1:32pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HoneyBadger
    1. Bridged up to get me to come forward and hugged up to my midsection.
    Next time take a high mount or S mount. Put your knees behind his shoulders. There will be mo more of this.

2. "Bit" at my stomach. I couldn't throw effective punches because his head was in my midsection.
    People from the 'crossfacing' thread know that I am adamantly opposed to using it as a submission or sheer pain technique. But in this case crossfacing is what is neccessary. Side your forearm bone across his face onto the bridge of his nose and make some space. Regardless, you can throw punches when someone has their face in your midsection. They are called hooks.

3. As I pushed his head away from midsection, my legs opened up a little. He immediately switched his grip so that he trapped the leg on the side that opened up and "bit" the upper thigh, although he could have rolled me over to one side and escaped.
    You opened your legs up, that was your mistake.

4. As I put my hands down to move his head again he grabbed my hand and "bit" the fingers.
    Im fairly certain that would have been MUCH more difficult had punches been raining down on his head. More about this in a moment.

In your case it was friendly sparring v biter. Basically a situation where one guy had handcuffs on and the other could do anything he wanted. Not a fair and accurate assesment of a reality streetfight, which is obviously where you guys were going if you are including biting.

You were basically sitting on top of him trying to keep position, while he was playing dirty streetfighting tactics. One of you was at a severe disadvantage.

Let me put some perspective into the picture. 'IF' and only 'IF' this were 'teh real' and someone was trying to bite me I could, from the mount, quite easily put both my thumbs into his eyesockets and gouge the **** out of him. Not much he could do. Sure he could try to grab my fingers and bite them, but I think the concern for his eyesight would put him into a panic instead.

And the reality of the mount is the punches that are inevitably coming. Full force gravity fed bombs while the other guys head is pinned. Basically the floor is an anvil, your fist is a hammer, and his head is a mellon. And when you realize how BADLY punches from the mount hurt, even light ones, because your head has nowhere to go you put more perspective in that simply sitting on someone and waiting for them to bite you. When someone bites you they recieve punishment. Punishment like Scott Morris v Pat Smith. If they bite you you grab the inside of their cheek and fishhook them until their face tears open.

What I am saying is that you had a completely unrealistic and 'McDojo' style defense against the mount. In effect it was the 'what if I throw a punch at your head', and the instructor is able to launch off all these neat attacks while your fist hangs in midair for 5 seconds. Like I said earlier you were in handcuffs trying to keep position and he is going streetfight. To make it a bit more realistic you could have hit him real hard right off the bat and then eyegouged him as he bit you. It would devolve into a who-can-get-nastier-faster style of fight.

And I promise you.... The guy on top in the mount can get nastier, faster and be more effective than the guy on the bottom.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345