2 hours from the beach, 4 from the mountains

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 5:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HAPKO3
    There simply wasn't a way for me to beat all of them, and I could not run away because I was with my girlfriend at the time who was wearing high heels and couldn't run very fast.
    you should start dating Jennifer Garner... yes, you should.
    Seventh: If you think TKD doesn’t work, your right, until you get the side of you face smashed with a roundhouse kick. -- ronin69

It's just that I carry weapons and have no moral compass anymore. -- JKDChick

At least until the Wing Chun clown car arrives. --JKDC

Marasmos

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 6:02pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, too old for me, and I'd have trouble with all of that Hollywood scene.
    You say what about my rice?

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 6:08pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yrkoon9
    There is an old story I was told once. A lord was looking to employ a samurai. They narrowed the candidates down to 3 of the best swordsmen in the land.

They asked the first samurai to wait in a room at the end of the hall where the lord would conduct the interview shorly. When he opened the door a pillow which had been carefully propped above fell and hit his head. With one one swift stroke the pillow was cut cleanly in half.

The second samurai was asked to wait in the same room. When he opened the door he moved out of the way of the pillow and also cut it cleanly in half.

The third samurai of course was also interviewed this way. But he paused a moment at the door, sensing danger, he choose not to open it. This was clearly the man for the job.

Now....this story was told to me a long time ago. And I don't remember all of it. But I think the message is clear. Obviously they needed a 4th samurai to bite the pillow and beat it with his shoe.
    Thats the film the seven samuria you're thinking off, and its a guy lurking with a bokken out of sight waiting to beat the **** out of them. In the film I think everyone gets hired because they're desperate for men.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 6:11pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whaddahell is reputation?

Acupuncturist / Anesthesia Student

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 6:17pm

Style: Mostly weights now...

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feryk
    Not the same. You had one aggressor. If the other three had swarmed you after taking out the first one, then it would be different.

probably. i just had the feeling that they wanted to jump in because they were all excited, but they didn't. if they would have swarmed, i really had no place to run since i was parked in front of my house and none of my roomates where home. plus the driver wanted to kick my car because i kicked the door in on his (kicked it in on the big guy's leg as he tried to get out of the car). i'm just glad it ended the way it did. ICU sucks.
    Last edited by Quikfeet509; 1/07/2005 6:19pm at .

Chemist

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 6:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The RBSD guys don't realize that they need to know groundfighting because they need to be able to get back up. I don't think non-grapplers realize that just because you're groundfighting doesn't mean that you're tied to the ground. If you know what you're doing you have a major advantage at getting back up versus not knowing how to groundfight at all. Stand-up grappling and striking would be very useful in these kinds of situations where you stack your opponents, but really that's all theoretical and few actually train for real for these types of scenarios. All you can do is fight with all you have for as long as you can.

As far as biting, I played football with a kid that got into a fight and bit off a piece of ear on another kid, it was pretty effective. I still don't know if I would have the stones for that.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." -A. Lincoln

Vote your conscience.... Vote Libertarian!

Professional Swede

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 8:00pm

Style: Sandbagged BJJ white belt

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "No dear, don't wear your high heels! If we are suddenly engaged in combat by a pack of thugs they will hinder our escape!"

That's what I'll tell my imaginary girlfriend next time we go on an imaginary date.
    I pointed at him [the panhandler], bringing my rear hand up in a subtle approximation of the double Wu Sau guard that is the default hand position in Wing Chun Kung Fu.

"Step away," I hissed.
    -Phil Elmore

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 8:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ - Homeland Security

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Te No Kage!
    The RBSD guys don't realize that they need to know groundfighting because they need to be able to get back up. I don't think non-grapplers realize that just because you're groundfighting doesn't mean that you're tied to the ground. If you know what you're doing you have a major advantage at getting back up versus not knowing how to groundfight at all. Stand-up grappling and striking would be very useful in these kinds of situations where you stack your opponents, but really that's all theoretical and few actually train for real for these types of scenarios. All you can do is fight with all you have for as long as you can.
    The Wastrel's old sig used to read "It is easier to fall down than fall up."
    Last edited by Dreadnought; 1/07/2005 9:33pm at .

Middleweight

2 hours from the beach, 4 from the mountains

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 9:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jennifer Garner is the fuckin answer, damnit!
    Seventh: If you think TKD doesn’t work, your right, until you get the side of you face smashed with a roundhouse kick. -- ronin69

It's just that I carry weapons and have no moral compass anymore. -- JKDChick

At least until the Wing Chun clown car arrives. --JKDC

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2005 9:33pm

Style: Moo Thai & Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hapko3

This is a good example of using you head in a tricky situation, many people (including myself) may not have thought to use one of the assailants to shield themselves from the others.

I am not disagreeing with what you have said however, you mentioned that back then all you knew was striking. Exactly how much striking training did you do against multiple attackers? I have done years of striking against one opponent but found it is a different kettle of fish when is comes to dealing with two or more.

I think the takehome message is When you are fighting one or more opponents on 'Th3 Str33ts' it is likely that they will dictate where the fight goes so you had better be able to take them standing and on the ground.

I also like the idea of beating yourself with your own shoes.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast