Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    12/06/2005 9:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamon Guy
    Without being rude - I thought wing chun was Cantonese? This may be where I am getting confused
    There's some confusion at first with the romanization but in print, Cantonese and Mandarin are essentially the same. There are numerous differences in linguistic habits but they are like the difference between the way southerners in the US speak compared to New Yorkers or people in different parts of England.

The written language is pretty much unified across China.

Quote Originally Posted by supercrap
    To qualify this, I think before anybody posts about wing chun words they need to say whether they

a)CAN ACTUALLY SPEAK CHINESE
    Me. Anyone else?

And yes, Amp has clarified so that I take back my previous post saying he was wrong about the meaning of "chi geuk" or however he spelled it. Context is everything.
    Last edited by Omar; 12/06/2005 9:18pm at .
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

software engineer

Posted On:
    12/06/2005 10:11pm

supporting member
     Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [for context, I speak and read Mandarin]

From watching a lot of Sanshou matches, it seems the way to describe the different kicks is to use the same word for 'leg.'
    Roundhouse kick - whip leg
    sidekick - stamp leg

Here, the word for leg is pulling double duty to describe the form of the kicks. There is a word for kick, but it's a verb, so it's not used to describe things that are nouns.

Another similar point. The phrases
    Northern leg, Southern fist
    and
    Northern kick, Southern fist
    are interchangeable, because the words leg and kick map to the same Chinese word for leg.

Baji demigod.

Posted On:
    12/07/2005 7:18am

Join us... or die
     Style: Chinese Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm an idiot.

All these years wondering what "bang sau" was and it's right there in Lin Shirong's (Lum Saiwing's) book on my shelf. Duh!

The Hung Gar "bang sau", same exact name as the Wing Chun version. The complete name of the move shown here is "bang shou chen yao" (mandarin).

Pic:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bang sau.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	21.6 KB 
ID:	4644  

Last edited by Omar; 12/07/2005 7:26am at .
    Fighting evil and upholding justice in blue silk pajamas baby!
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=UGaYD_wcaIg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6Uepo9ahg-M

Bah!!! Puny Humans.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 12:43am

Style: WSL Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I practise WCK and while I believe many of the points here would apply to many schools, not all are the same.
    My instructor told us a story of when his instructor Wong Shun Leung was having a fight with a guy who had been smashed up a bit and cringed down. Wong Shun Leung finished him off with a knee to the guy's face. His classmates told him it was a bad technique, and "not Wing Chun!". He should have stepped back and executed a proper WC style front kick. His reply went something along the lines of "his closest target was his face, my closest weapon was my knee. That is Wing Chun."

We train in a very unformal manner. Our instructor encourages us to question, and to test techniques out ourselves, not just take his words as a given.

I think a lot of WCK practitioners are too obsessed with working within their style. If they used a bit more common sense, they'd be much better fighters.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 5:28am

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Couldn't agree more.

I always shake me head when people say this or that isn't Wing Chun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 6:32am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabogganwheel
    I practise WCK and while I believe many of the points here would apply to many schools, not all are the same.
    My instructor told us a story of when his instructor Wong Shun Leung was having a fight with a guy who had been smashed up a bit and cringed down. Wong Shun Leung finished him off with a knee to the guy's face. His classmates told him it was a bad technique, and "not Wing Chun!". He should have stepped back and executed a proper WC style front kick. His reply went something along the lines of "his closest target was his face, my closest weapon was my knee. That is Wing Chun."

We train in a very unformal manner. Our instructor encourages us to question, and to test techniques out ourselves, not just take his words as a given.

I think a lot of WCK practitioners are too obsessed with working within their style. If they used a bit more common sense, they'd be much better fighters.
    That is such a stupid phrase!!! I agree that what he did was right (on the street, I'd bite, claw and grab any part of my opponent to win), but a knee is not wing chun!!!

Wing chun is a set system, otherwise you are learning something else (hence jeet kune do). If you incorporate other styles, good on you, but you can't then claim that a flying backfist is wing chun!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 1:31pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    but a knee is not wing chun!!!
    !!

:bs:

Wtf? So there's no knees in Wing Chun? That's news to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 5:11pm

Style: Arnis, WC, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is such a stupid phrase!!! I agree that what he did was right (on the street, I'd bite, claw and grab any part of my opponent to win), but a knee is not wing chun!!!

Wing chun is a set system, otherwise you are learning something else (hence jeet kune do). If you incorporate other styles, good on you, but you can't then claim that a flying backfist is wing chun!!
    No you are wrong. Wing Chun is not a set of techniques. It is a style of fighting. This is where 99.9% of WCers go wrong. They don't appreciate that the techniques are taught as part of how to fight in the style that WC is. Knees to the head are not promoted as techniques due to the style, but if a situation occurs and you are fighting in the style of WC then it is more than justified. Knees applied to the opponents leg and knees is done all the time in WC.

A flying backfist is probably not part of WC fighting style, while a knee is more likely to be.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 5:57pm

Style: Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny that people who have done Wing Chun for a long time move their arms in a Tai Chi-like or Shaolin-like manner. It's not like you think ''Ok...what he's gonna do...shhhh...ah! TAN SAO! PAK SAO!''. It just flows naturally after a while.

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    12/08/2005 9:47pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the Chum Kiu form, the kicks in the third and fourth segment have a knee coming up to start a thrust or slant kick, then the kick. If your opponent is close, they get kneed. The Slant kick actually leads with a very nice circular Knee strike. Knee coming up=Knee strike....

All theorys applied to arms to create chi sau programs are then transfered to legs and modified for the different geometry. It is not a static tradition, it is a constant struggle for improvement. Punches shorten to elbows and shoulders, kicks shorten to knees and hips.

think about it.....

Always Spring means always in the "Growth Cycle"....

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc