Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 7:28am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcFu
    You have used trapping successfully? Did you do this with boxing gloves?
    I held down peopleīs arms while wearing boxing gloves. I couldnīt trap per se because itīs impossible to roll your arms and to create openings (the gloves get in the way), but I still managed to control the guyīs arms until he made a mistake, and then punch him. I certainly created openings to attack with elbows, even with gloves, but we are not allowed to use them during sparring practice.

That convinced me trapping works. Not all the time, but it does seem like a useful tool.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 7:33am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm . . . that begs the question of why it has not been seen in some kind of NHB competition yet. Well, I mean some kind of trapping that looks anything like WT trapping.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 7:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No idea about WT trapping. I suppose trapping can take a bit to create an opening, and a skilled grappler could use that time to take the fight to the ground.

Then again, that just reflects my experience. The guys at the gym are not pros, and I certainly could not trap either the coach or the instructor.
    Its great battle lost,
    To a distant post;
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 7:42am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mean, there are some techniques we use in Shooto for trapping, like wrapping the guy's arm around his head while you have full mount in order to get better shots since he can't defend with the correct hand. And of course in a clinch one can always go for some type of body lock in order to facilitate a take down.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 7:47am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by j416to
    What does this mean? Are you trying to say that Wing Chun in North and South America has no structure? Or only on the East Coasts of North and South America, because it came via Europe? If it came from Asia, across the Pacific, it's okay?

it was a joke. possible true... lol. Anyway... i don't care.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 7:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another 12 pages and some stuff worth reading...

"the issue becomes one of ability to apply technique rather than honing it in some mysterious manner.. "

This is such an important point. Although Mididoctors does sound confusing, what he says mainly makes sense, its just very technically explained. If you actually see what he is talking about, then its makes much more sense.

Reason why WC threads get out of hand and theory orientated is that WC newbies start coming in and quoting marketing shite from their instructors without any real experience to back up their claims. The older ones tend to sit there, shake their heads and try to make semi decent points when they can. By newbies Im talking at least less than one year experience of training.

Where is this throwdown, what are the rules? I'd love to come down and have a look if thats not too much trouble. Maybe even participate... :D

By the way, Id love to know what people here actually mean when they say a hook; the only defense as far as I know is cover/duck, or hit them before they hit you, which rarely happens. I think sometimes the experience here negates when a hook is really used.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 7:55am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcFu
    And of course in a clinch one can always go for some type of body lock in order to facilitate a take down.
    Yup, my thoughts exactly. Also, itīs hard to trap a grappler who, in a NHB fight, can actually grab your arm. I suppose trapping could work against someone who doesnīt want to grapple.

Mind you, as I said, itīs relatively easy to go from trapping distance to a clinch, all it takes is some footwork and a single mistake from the trapper. But I still think itīs quite a useful skill (specailly if the victim has no experience with it, of course).
    Its great battle lost,
    To a distant post;
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 7:57am

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uk throwdown
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20007
    The more WCers the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Sociocidal sociocider

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 7:58am

Style: Currently a SAMBO newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Throwdown FAQ
    http://bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14673

I'll make the next UK one. Honest! Really I will! (damn you McFu for debunking the "airfare too expensive" argument)
    Last edited by Ian G.R.; 1/13/2005 8:15am at .
    Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil. - Machiavelli

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 8:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mididoctors
    what does the term "structure" mean as it apples to WC?

please answer as simply and clearly as possible

Boris
    london

you want an answer that is simple and written clearly? You? of all people? The one that talks in circles and gets his words mixed up to try to sound intellectual... the one that.... ok, i'll stop...

the best description i can give of structure is one i have given. That is.... imagine someone is holding a pole horizontally.... you walk into the pole... because the person is holding it, it moves backwards.
    Now, get someone to hold that pole against a wall... now walk into it... it hurts like hell, even if i walk into it slowly. Why? because there is no give... (like when the person just held it int he air) It is connected to the wall, its like you are walking into a wall (and having a stick poking out of it)

Now, if you have the right structure, you can do this yourself. you can use your body as a conduit to the ground, so every movement you do, no matter waht it is, has the SAME quality as that pole. For example, your punch has no give, it feels exactly like running fast into that pole against the wall (or that coming at you)
    In defence, because your arms have no give, (and you are not clashing) then you can stop any strike, no matter how hard.... as long as you are onto it, or meet it. (at the correct angle).

This also is appicable to rolling off force, learned in chi sau.

Now, tense muscles have give in them.... so good structure can only be achieved without using tense muscles. (and other stuff)

Please tell me if you don't understand the analogy... and don't just argue for the sake of arguing. sometimes you just have to listen and learn. Anyone can see the benefits of having a punch that feels same as running into a pole against a wall. (oh, and you don't use your shoulder to achieve this)

Can i do this? I can do it, it is on and off for me at the moment... thats why i don't really want to be in a fight until i can achieve it all the time. Some people i train with get this all the time, and even a soft punch in chi sau takes takes teh breath away (to the chest).