Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 5:06pm

Style: wingy chingy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WingChun Lawyer
    1. **** you. :sex:

But seriously, I did WC for two years. It is true that we didnīt spar, but I got a very good idea on how the system works or is supposed to work. So I believe I am entitled to an opinion on the subject. I certainly know how things are supposed to work, I have tried them out in sparring matches against people who had no idea about WC, and many parts of the system failed miserably in the "letīs rock" test.

2. Excuse me, you were telling me to punch forward against a hook or round punch. I said a punch forward doesnīt work against those punches, because I tried. Punching forward works against jabs, straight punches and crosses - linear, centerline punches. It doesnīt work against hooks, because your fist will not meet the guyīs fist, and you will get creamed. You are changing the subject, we werenīt discussing footwork.

3. Sorry, but that was an incredibly ignorant statement. And that was also what my sifu used to say about thai roundkicks; only people who have no experience with MT at all would say that. Yes, the kicker will indeed be able to adapt a little - he can kick you with any part of his chin - but, more importantly, a decent striker knows how to use timing in his favour, whether for kicking or punching. And that is why defences such as blocks and parries were developed, because against a skilled fighter you cannot count on having the time to retreat or advance in order to avoid a blow.
    1. Dude, if you haven't tested your techniques against hard resistance in some serious chi sao, they probably won't work in any sparring match. Is that what happened to you? I know you've said your school didn't have much contact. Did you guys chi sao at all? Did you get bruises doing it?

2. Let's back up a little here. When I said to punch forward against a hook/round punch, remember how I said that was in beginner's terms? I meant, if 2 guys are facing each other and throw these punches, the straight punch will connect first. I wouldn't expect the two fists to meet in the air...because the straight punch is not blocking the hook/round punch, it's just hitting it's target first. If you want to block the incoming strike, which I hope you would, you would have to use your other hand, maybe in a bil sao type motion- a straight arm that intercepts the punch at the inside of the elbow and jams it up. Or if the guy throws the hook first you could use a bong sao with a huen sao (safety hand) to back it up. This all depends on many variables......So maybe I was wrong in saying that a straight punch will beat the hook/cross. It's much more complicated than that.

3. Well, I admit I was thinking more along the lines of a TKD roundkick when I wrote my last post. I'll withdraw my comment until I get the chance to spar with some muay thai.
    "It does not matter who the master is. It does not matter what the face looks like. The masters are of the Qimen school of qigong/meditation which is related to Zen. The master wears white robes, and the predecessor master wears bright gold robes. The qimen school travels the univers and is not restricted to what paradise they live in. It has many masters" -Serious Harm

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mididoctors
    Jekyl will probably end up bullying me into going to one

Boris
    London
    Damn right, give into the inevitable.:icon_comp Its not that far for you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 5:39pm

Style: Derek jones

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    Damn right, give into the inevitable.:icon_comp Its not that far for you anyway.
    Northampton.... what currency do they use up there...? do you need a visa?

its so far north I'll get a nose bleed etc

Boris
    london

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ohh, do you get hives if you go outside the M25?

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 5:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    Ohh, do you get hives if you go outside the M25?
    the last time i got on the M25 was the summer of 88

Boris
    london

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 11:20pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mididoctors
    go and fight and tell us how it went.

Boris
    london
    i'm not looking for a fight.
    Anyway, my training partners are now bouncers.... It seems to work for them... i will tell you if i do get into a fight.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 11:21pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    wing chun does have structure.... it just lost it when it travelled over the atlantic.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 12:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, it lost its asian-ness and was thus rendered useless.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 1:46am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, Kenjutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by waapwoop
    wing chun does have structure.... it just lost it when it travelled over the atlantic.
    What does this mean? Are you trying to say that Wing Chun in North and South America has no structure? Or only on the East Coasts of North and South America, because it came via Europe? If it came from Asia, across the Pacific, it's okay?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2005 5:15am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by waapwoop
    wing chun does have structure.... .

what does the term "structure" mean as it apples to WC?

please answer as simply and clearly as possible

Boris
    london