Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 9:34am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    I agree with WCL. Not every strike is avoidable. Not everyone does a TKD roundhouse to your head. Try stopping a close shot to your legs by stepping forward. At best you'll just get a knee to the quads. You guys are speaking from no outside sparring experience other than WC. Go fight another style....
    :iamwithst
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 9:37am

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mididoctors
    WTF is structure....?

the premise that some ill defined body alignment is the secret of fighting is a giant turd

waapwood and supercrap are talking bollocks

what does one mean dropping you shoulder into your elbow... the distance between these two joints is an invariable unless you claim WC develops some magical bone elasticity?

all this structure bullshit is bullshit not least because there is no real explanation about what it is?

at the most charitable we could conclude they are talking about total body coordination required to throw a punch... but really it should be no more difficult to explain than swinging a baseball bat or striking a football with the outside of your foot

there is no fucking mystery

if i show a total newbie a bill sao it works if i place his arms in the correct position for the demonstration... there is no need to to spend years developing structure?.. it may require some muscle development the same way a new driver develops cramp in his calf from being unused to using the clutch/brake/accelerator but it is pretty functional from the get go...

the issue becomes one of ability to apply technique rather than honing it in some mysterious manner.. its not as thou there is any useful information at all in these structure discussions.

in bullshido speak knowledge that speeds up "alive" training is useful.. structure debate is wank

Boris
    London

you don't know what it is, so you have nothing to back up your comments.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 9:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i agree with WCL... if you can avoid being hit by stepping you don't need to learn how to fight.

people can punch and kick pretty damn fast... if you have time to step, you probably have time to do a million other things. ****, i wish i could dodge everything thrown at me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 9:46am

Style: Derek jones

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WingChun Lawyer
    Tried that, got creamed, as I said many times here. Look, it is hard enough to defend or to attack. The WC notion that a simultaneous attack/defense combo is the best thing since sliced bread is wrong. You can do that sometimes, yes, but not against someone close to your skill level, and certainly not all the time.

And again, stepping forward when you are already close enough to get a hook is a bad idea. Certainly that is hard to do.

Also, what ronin said.
    this is correct.. moving in to place his lead foot outside yours (the common WC attack example) puts his hook at an advantage.. moreover your attempts to block it from this position are only effective if you shift your self across his rear hand.

driving straight in against a set opponent in a front stance is dumb in any style.. if they are caught square or is heavily back footed and you have the initiative pileing in works in any style

Boris
    london

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 9:48am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by waapwoop
    you don't know what it is, so you have nothing to back up your comments.
    what I object to, is you do not know what it is!

WHAT ARE YOU FUCKING TALKING ABOUT?

Boris
    London

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 9:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if i am ever in london i will show you.

or if you are ever in sydney.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 9:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ronin69
    Most of the "typical" WC counters to a hook are applied of a Lead Hook.
    Now, hooks are best kept in a combo and as a counter, so how does WC address THAT ?
    get offside from the get go is my advice in any style... doesn't matter what he intends to do.. no doubt spiny back things can be brought up as some sort of counter to this but the game continues

the rear hand cross/bomb/anything is hard to deal with as moving to the outside of the punch moves one self across the natural follow up of his rear leg.. or you go into the clinch thing retreating becomes a common reaction.

standing between his shoulders in 'typical WC" style is likely to get you the fucked knocked out etc etc...

Boris
    London

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 10:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    If someone is alot heavier and stronger than you, They can collapse your structure. It's not failsafe. It does work well in using structure to fend off a strong opponent and strong attacks. In order to "absorb" the strikes, the lower body must be in a static tense horse. This horse is great for close striking, trapping and the like, but not for all around fighting.
    doesn't make any sense

if you absorb force it goes into the ground until it goes out the backdoor and and you are on your arse and if you collapse and turn a similar thing must occur

it doesn't matter rigid or floppy you have to MOVE

standing there like dumb half struck LT **** is going to get you fucked up

Boris
    london

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 10:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by waapwoop
    if i am ever in london i will show you.

or if you are ever in sydney.
    go and fight and tell us how it went.

Boris
    london

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/12/2005 10:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    to me a fook sao is the same as a tan sao but with the palm facing down instead of up.

I know a hook from an untrained person is not the same as a boxers hook so you would need more skill against the latter.As for dealing with combos you need to have forward pressure to deal with that -i have seen it demonstrated on Emins Lat sao vid where he shows the defence against a boxers hook and against combinations(i think you can download it from emule)