Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He gets pulled across and down. That movement is achieved by twisting my hips with the lap sau.

I should have shown the rib strike from the lap sao. That's also an excellent trap for taller opponents.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 3:21pm

Style: Derek jones

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your right you don't understand..

extend you punch out and your striking shoulder moves clockwise as you trapping hand pulls so your sternum is pointing at it..

the lower down the forearm the trap is the closer the trapping hand is drawn towards your own body.

trapping at the elbow is more effective as you do not need to extend the arm to control the opponents centre of gravity... fore arm grab has built in play that is independent of the centre of mass

controlling the elbow directly effects the centre of mass as movement of the elbow does not redirect forces into the body..

in both case the trapping hand will face the centreline at the moment of impact...

being inside obscures this reality from the practitioner as the range of techniques seem greater and more easy to apply the relationship between the two fighters naturally sets up the facing the contact hand reality.

moving offside it is less clear but operating on contact position becomes a workable solution for finding your trapping solution...

it just is

Boris
    London

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 3:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    I have, it always works, I don't need to reposition anything, If I pull him into me with the lap sau, which is what I would do when attacked, he flyes into my elbow as I push forward.
    that equates to the same thing...

doesn't it?

Boris
    london

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 3:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man you are a master of doubletalk bullshit. That punch is part of the trap. IT doesn't hit anything. I don't move my arm closer or further away from him or I. It stays where it is, and I move my hips. I also don't expect to control him any further than the next strike I plan to hit with. After that I let go and do something else. If I grab his elbow, chances are he can hit me. My traps do not get in the way of striking. They compliment each other. One hand is low, one is high. Trap high, strike low and vice versa. If you're going to make any further comments, I'd suggest doing some reading on WC, maybe doing a bit of it and to speak without esposing your inability to communicate logically.

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 3:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, that compounds the force. F=MA.

Let me continue to state that WC is not the ultimate fighting style. It has alot left to be desired and needs to be supplemented with other styles and modern methods of attack to continue to be effective. (For those of you who'd rather not reading 9 pages of blather.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 3:33pm

Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mididoctors
    there is something missing in all this... i mean if he steps pinning becomes irrelevant
    Sorry, I don't follow. Which way are you imagining they'll step and when ?

OTOH if he push back (instinctive) trapping has less to do with pinning arms as it has to do with keeping his feet in place?[
    Trapping is about hitting somebody whilst making sure they can't hit you. Usually by momentarily pinning their arms against their body.

well you have to remain at striking distance or the technique you hope to strike with is ineffective.. ultimately trapping is still restricted to striking distance.. it has to be by definition? how ever you cut it you must not fall short or move in to close..
    I don't quite see what your getting at, what distance do you consider 'too close' to strike ?

why is this rare in chi sau? you do not often see one guy out positioned?
    People get 'out positioned' in chi sau all the time.

if you blindside your opponent what are the critera for trapping?
    Same as they are any other time :-

1) Does he have an arm free he could hit you with ?

2) Is it positioned to be vulnerable to being pinned against his body with a
    relatively light movement that would also leave one of your arms free to
    attack him with ?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 3:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man you are a master of doubletalk bullshit.
    there is nothing inconsistant in what i have said

That punch is part of the trap. IT doesn't hit anything. I don't move my arm closer or further away from him or I. It stays where it is, and I move my hips.
    if you move your hips your shoulders follow..

I also don't expect to control him any further than the next strike I plan to hit with. After that I let go and do something else.
    so what?

If I grab his elbow, chances are he can hit me.
    maybe... and so what?

My traps do not get in the way of striking. They compliment each other. One hand is low, one is high. Trap high, strike low and vice versa. If you're going to make any further comments, I'd suggest doing some reading on WC, maybe doing a bit of it and to speak without esposing your inability to communicate logically.
    I think you fail to realize you are demonstrating my point..

I am not saying you are doing anything wrong though you maybe..?

Boris
    london

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 3:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wingchunnewbie
    Sorry, I don't follow. Which way are you imagining they'll step and when ?
    when you push their arm against their body... when else? if you pin my arm and i step backwards you need longer arms or need to move again...

I don't quite see what your getting at, what distance do you consider 'too close' to strike ?
    there comes a point where there in no arm extension space for a straight punch and something else must take its place... its pretty simple

boris
    london

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 3:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, that compounds the force. F=MA.
    if you reposition him so you face your own trapping hand or reposition yourself i don't care

Boris
    London

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 4:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In short, for what it is, it works, I don't trap myself, I hit as forcefully as I want unimpeeded. I'm not going to argue with you about this as you have no clue what you're talking about and rather than wade through your cipher, I have better things to do.