Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 2:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trapping is not the end all, be all of WC. It's simply a method of incapacitating the opponent. Yes, it is dependant upon distance, but so is everything else. If the opponent tries to push or pull when I have him, chances are, he's not going anywhere as I'll be constantly changing my hands and preventing him from escaping or attacking me. There isn't a universal trap, there's many different types that you feel out from your opponents struggling. One doesn't just sit around with a trap and strike while not expecting any resistance or offensive techniques from the opponent. You grab, trap, strike and go from there. It's dependant upon the situation, the opponents styles, stature, etc. I personally rarely trap. It doesn't work on everyone. Alot of people pull their hands back in a boxers stance which makes it more hassle than it's worth as I'd have to use too much strength to pry their arms off while comprimising my own defenses. It's much too difficult to use on someone who's not going to play ball. I prefer to jerk the person back and forth while striking to completely disorient and then more than likely I'll go for a throw or a choke. I really don't get what you're trying to debate exactly midi, it seems you're trying to a pick a fight by asking questions you think you alread know the answer to.
    Last edited by Equipoise; 1/09/2005 2:13pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 2:16pm

Style: Derek jones

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    Don't you practice trapping in your style of wingchun?
    trapping, trapping, trapping............ heh.... ok i will come clean

what is the secret of trapping?

trapping face to face in chi sau is relatively easy and at the same time rather unrealistic...

because you need to apply forces with both arms there is a fixed relationship between the ultimate position of the trapping hand and the striking one

the trapping arm/force can not cross the centreline towards the striking shoulder as to do so would send the striking arm backwards or restrict its ability to strike .. even if you are pushing or holding the striking shoulder must move into the strike

HOW?

the body (centreline) must face the trapping hand... the simple way of explaining this is that your sternum at the moment of impact must face the trapping hand..

this is a universal truth to human mechanics as opposed to some WC thing..

effective practical trapping requires a modification in body position taking its que from the point of contact with your opponent..

it is this "marker" that allows you to apply trapping inside and out with out recourse to "guessing" or learning a host of special situations

this works for hooks elbow strikes and and any other punch and hold combo you can think of..

the classic hold someone by there shoulder/collar and hit obeys this reality

PAUSE.. go on check it out.. if you hold some by there upper arm say and rotate so your sternum faces your holding hand you will find the strike you need

do not fixate on the target area instead maneuver to face the trapping hand

Boris
    london

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 2:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What in Crom's name are you babbling about? The body moves as you trap, and you step through as you trap and strike. You don't pin the shoulder, you pin the hand against the body. Also there are tons of traps. Apparently I'm going to have to take pictures.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 2:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    What in Crom's name are you babbling about? The body moves as you trap, and you step through as you trap and strike. You don't pin the shoulder, you pin the hand against the body. Also there are tons of traps. Apparently I'm going to have to take pictures.
    what i said applies to any trap from any style or made up hold and hit technique on any part of the arm up to the shoulder.. thou grasping above the elbow requires either elbow strikes or perhaps hook style punches

Boris
    london

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 2:32pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's incorrect.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 2:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    That's incorrect.
    faced with the crushing weight of your reasoned explanation i feel i must withdraw my comments..

boris
    london

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 2:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm going to post pictures, then you can debate, as it's getting increasingly more difficult to demonstrate with words and without images of the said traps

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So goes the WT/VC/WC of our lives . . . .

On the wrong side of the pond for gong sau

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 2:51pm

supporting member
     Style: San shou(tai chi) +judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As an impartial observer I find it deeply entertaining.

Boris, you promised to teach me to anti-grapple at this throwdown, are you coming? ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Stickx
    It must suck for legit practitioners of tai chi like Cullion to see their art get all watered down into exercise for seniors.
    Those who esteme qi have no strength. ~ Exposition of Insights into the Thirteen Postures Attrib: Wu Yuxiang founder of Wu style tai chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 2:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll
    As an impartial observer I find it deeply entertaining.

Boris, you promised to teach me to anti-grapple at this throwdown, are you coming? ;)
    i didn't promise you a fucking thing

Boris
    london