Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 10:59pm

Style: Derek jones

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AkiraMusashi
    Pinning the hands against the body or similar methods of incapacitating your opponent. It never works for me, as, unless there's little to no space. I'd only use trapping in a hall way, on the ground or if I'm just pulling someone in. Most people that I've fought generally have an mma, or boxing background and this makes trapping ineffective from my point of view.
    not a very precise definition?

to what end.? just pinning his arms or is this a combination technique that requires you take advantage of this pinning by hitting him or something?

Boris
    london

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 11:52pm

Style: MT, BJJ, VT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    P.P.S I'll give you Turning Elbow ;-)
    Right, but all punches are not simply jabs, hooks, crosses and uppercuts. Those are combined and targeted at various areas. There are at least 4 elbows, up, hook, turning and down, the roundhouse is varied into upper, low and high kicks and it can be repeated for a different kick. You can rear roundhouse... etc etc. You can rabbit knee, straight knee and you can roundhouse knee. I am not including flying variants. Once again, it's all about the combinations.

Back to the point, I do agree that 50,000 moves that are ineffective or simply unrealistic will not compare to 5 that work and have been practised over and over again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2005 11:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah, I just thought up of 2 more punches...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 12:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mayhem you forgot the Tiger fireball, uppercut and Flying knee technique. The last of which I've actually seen knock someone out in a K-1 match.
    Damnit, Tiger uppercut, get it right! :P

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 12:01am

supporting member
     Style: Chemical Assistance

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boris- Of course you hit while the hands are trapped.

That was implied Discoz :-P. Or as Sagat says, Tygah Uppacut!

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 3:15am

Style: all

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pinning the hands against the body or similar methods of incapacitating your opponent. It never works for me, as, unless there's little to no space. I'd only use trapping in a hall way, on the ground or if I'm just pulling someone in. Most people that I've fought generally have an mma, or boxing background and this makes trapping ineffective from my point of view.

I was sparring recently in my muay thai class with a guy who had 4 years of experience and fights often in the ring. WHat he was doing which he ghimself admitted was unorthodox was blocking my punches with his elbow and forearm and I couldn't even egt close to his head with any of my punches. He fought exactly like I would expect a good wing chun guy to fight.

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 3:18am

Style: all

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neck Breaker- It's moot what it was used for in Shaolin times or how quickly it was taught then. People have jobs, schooling etc. We can't train 6 hours a day and go out fighting random roving bandits and in imperial wars. Boxing is more pragmatic to someone that doesn't have the time to get into the center line theory, the physics and the footwork of WC. This is what WCL was saying. As for the knees, they are emphasized, WCL knows this. His criticism is that they weren't allowed to use them in the class, so what's the point of learning it if you can't train with it.

My overall philosophy on this is that a style has to be able to evolve in order to stay effective.

Many, many practicioners aren't going by that and as such the style is faltering and decaying into a joke.
    People can still spar each other and spar other schools to develope these techniques and strategies. And some professional fighetrs of today do train six or so hours a day. The deeper the art is the higher the skill can go if you stay with it. I am not saying boxing is ineffective I am saying both wing chun and boxing are effective and have their uses.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 7:37am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dont go painting all WC schools with the same brush. We dont all dance around all day saying "this will work when i have to use it for real", some of us actually spar and try our techniques.

Badness will not be rewarded

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 7:50am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacher Man
    Dont go painting all WC schools with the same brush. We dont all dance around all day saying "this will work when i have to use it for real", some of us actually spar and try our techniques.
    Quote Originally Posted by WingChungLawyer
    3) It takes forever to learn how it should actually work. Lots of different kinds of footwork, too much theory, it all became confusing. I DID WING CHUN FOR TWO DAMN YEARS AND I STILL DONīT KNOW HOW IT SHOULD ALL FIT TOGETHER IN A FIGHT. And please, letīs not even start with the lineage wars, and with the "that is not wing chun, THIS is wing chun". I refuse to believe that strange guard I was taught and those artificial stepping motions are the way it is supposed to work.
    It's all D33rb0xing to me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/09/2005 7:54am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMcFu
    It's all D33rb0xing to me.

Well what sage words you have ;P
Page 11 of 83 FirstFirst ... 7891011 121314152161 ... LastLast